PDA

View Full Version : VM, SMR, FI II or DCAP

TPG013
08-13-2003, 08:47 AM
Which is better. I have a black truck with some swirling on the hood along with some water stains. I tried the VM and #9 and they didn`t do much. Iwant to go to something alittle more abrasive. I have never tried the 3M stuff before and I`ve heard good things about the DACP. I`m just a bit concerned DACP might be a bit too aggresive. Just looking for the thoughts of the experts out there.

Thomasfl
08-13-2003, 09:11 AM
Starting with the least aggressive product is the best start and then work your way up. The VM really doesn`t do much for swirls and the #9 is for very limited in it`s use. Try the DACP it works great with a PC but can also be used by hand. You might need more than one application. Follow that up with the VM and your favorite wax.

Patrick
08-13-2003, 12:26 PM
3M SMR works very well, on light swirls, with a PC. They make SMR for light and dark colors. I have had great success with it in the past....DACP is a little more difficult to work with in my opinion. Last job with it, I had to use VM to clean up after it. It can be difficult on oxidized surfaces....

Go with 3M first, if theres not enough swirl removal, you can always step up to the dacp......

Thomasfl
08-13-2003, 12:35 PM
the 3M SMR is very similar to #9 in it`s cleaning abilities. The 3M SMR will add some fillers that will help hide what swirls that are left. Even though DACP is a polish with cleaning abilities I think it works best when you follow up with another less aggresive polish before going to wax.

rstype
08-13-2003, 12:36 PM
tpg13, are you working by hand or machine?

laynlow
08-13-2003, 12:39 PM
I normally use DACP followed by SFP on black. It`s been a fool proof combo for difficult colors.

TPG013
08-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by BW

tpg13, are you working by hand or machine?

I`m using the PC

Scottwax
08-13-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by laynlow

I normally use DACP followed by SFP on black. It`s been a fool proof combo for difficult colors.

Same here. It leaves the surface with a terrific shine, gloss and depth.

Deanski
08-13-2003, 06:53 PM
Go the DACP route, break it down fully. Then you can find a glaze that will do the final gloss level.

I use 3M PIII-MG and then go a bit lower by using Menzerna-FP on a grey pad as I want ONLY the polish to work, not the pad. Or go stay within the Megs line and use the SFP or machine glaze.. just look at the abrasive level they show on the bottles, you can`t go wrong. Some go #9 then #7, some use similar, Bodyshop SFP and machine glaze, it`s up to you on what level. Hell, you can use hand glaze! They are all perfect for a wax after all that glaze. If I`m waxing, I switch to 3M PIII-FG as it contains carnuba, which can be a bit of a false-positive on real shine due to the carnuba in it.

Regards,

Deanski

TPG013
08-14-2003, 08:26 AM
So I go with DACP on the yellow pad until it breaks down. Which I assume means until it`s almost gone. Then Vanilla Moose ( because I have it ) on the white pad and top it with S100. Does that sound like a good plan?

Thomasfl
08-14-2003, 09:13 AM
tgp13 you should get great results with those products.