PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Quick, Z6 before 1st coat of Z5 or no?

pleue
08-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Hi I`ve followed the whole paint prep procedure for my newly aquired zaino system (dawn wash, Z18 clay, dawn again, dry, polish out swirls and scratchers, dawn one last time, Z7 wash, dry completely, inspect finish, let dry overnight in garage.) Now it seems that I`m ready to start with my first layer of Z5/zfx but I was wondering if you apply Z6 before this layer or just in between layers? I`ve read up on the board and some say you do, but the zaino website has no mention of this. Please help this first time noobie detailer out. Thanks

JimS
08-12-2003, 02:22 PM
I did. And with good results.

pleue
08-12-2003, 02:27 PM
Ok, Thanks for the quick reply. I read Nick`s unsolicited tips and tricks also and him and Deanski both recommend using Z6 before a coat of Z5. I`m just worried because I called zaino customer service and they told me not to. But I think the autopian members know more about the product. Just waiting for a few more replies, then I can go start layering! And to think I used to hate to clean cars.

imported_RIC
08-12-2003, 03:31 PM
For the first coat I would not use Z6. Once the first coat is applied I would then use Z6. It may not matter either way.

I always Z6 before putting any additional Z5 or Z2 coats.

Deanski
08-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Using Z6 prior to any Zaino "polish" is fine and assists in the application of the first coat. It will fully prep the surface and aid the "flowing" of ZFX/Z5 when you apply it.

It makes for a simple application, as the finish will be glass smooth which you want anyway. The ingredients in Z6 add more gloss and clean all at the same time.

I have always used Z6 prior to first application of Zaino and you can see the results. Yes, use it between coats to also aid in shine development and again in application of a new coat. You just need to spray it very sparingly and quickly remove it, that`s all!

Regards,

Deanski

imported_memnuts
08-12-2003, 05:21 PM
I agree with applying a Z6 prior to initial layer of Z2 or Z5. My only recommendation is to spritz a MF with the Z6 rather than spraying on the prepped finish. This will alleviate any chance of streaking from uneven application and buffing of the virgin surface. :wavey

Deanski
08-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Yes, do spray the MF or CBT towel AND your applicator pad as well! No need to waist Z6! I opened it not enough, then twisted the nozzle too much and ended up with a rainstorm of Z6! I must have use 1.00 worth!

Regards,

Deanski

pleue
08-12-2003, 07:39 PM
I went ahead and sprayed Z6 on a mf before my first coat of Z5, spraying on the mf and doing a section of the car and immediately following up with a Z6 sprayed viking foam pad (grey one with the handle) with a Z of Z5. Got the whole car done, took the Z5 off with another mf, sprayed an mf with Z6 to buff the car, then a layer of Z2, remove, and buff with Z6. Looks real good, but my brother took the car (mom`s car) to LA so I couldn`t put a 3rd down. Guess I`ll have to wait to do some more layers when he gets back, as well as the wheels and jams. I have a question though, it seems that I only used about 1/4 - 1/3 of an ounce of eahc of the Z5 or Z2 per coat. I know thin layers are good, but is that too thin? Oh well, good experience for my first ever detail. Pics to follow in the future. Thanks everyone for their help.

JimS
08-12-2003, 07:56 PM
I`ve used Zaino products a few times so I have only limited experience but that experience has been that the amounts you used are reasonable.

Deanski
08-12-2003, 08:04 PM
Yep, you`re on the right track! Less is MORE with Zaino as you layer the product to increase the level of gloss. You NEED to use very little. It almost should be difficult to see where you applied it. This helps it bond better, since it`s thin and can cure currectly. If you put on too much, you`d know as you wipe, it drags and smears.

If you run into a streaking problem with Z5 as it dries, you can mix up 1/2 cap of Z7 and 12oz of water in a spray bottle. Just MIST the effected area and wipe. No more streak!

Enjoy the effect Zaino gives!

Regards,

Deanski