PDA

View Full Version : Should I?

fisher
08-11-2003, 07:31 PM
I want to know if it would be a good or bad idea to use Meg`s medium cut with a random orbital?Then use a polish then wax?Any suggestions would be nice!

JoshABI
08-11-2003, 07:52 PM
I know a couple of the members here have used Medium Cut with their PC`s with good results, though I am not one of them. I have yet to find anything that needed something so serious. If you are talking about just an orbital polisher (like those big 10" Black & Decker ones), then I might stay away from Medium Cut. It says to use "only with a rotary".....and I know some have gotten away with a PC, but a orbital might be a different matter.I`d wonder how well the orbital would break down the product. Have you tried using a less agressive product? Seems like Medium Cut is a pretty big step to make.

Deanski
08-11-2003, 08:19 PM
No, not with an orbital. You will wind up with buffer burn tracks if you use a terry bonnet. If they make a foam pad, you may get away without the tracking.

The best way is via PC or rotary.

Here`s the best prices I`ve seen on a PC:PC for cheap (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+sfmh7612ffc220c2+1058186817)

Also, look at this guide for a PC:

PC for beginners (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1)

Depends on what you are going to "cut" with it. How bad is the finish? You may want to try DACP first, then step up to a compound.

Regards,

Deanski

chris0626
08-11-2003, 08:51 PM
First things first, fisher. What`s the condition of your paint? and is it single-stage or clearcoated? (P.S. Lots of us put our car year/make/model/color in our sig lines so folks will know those basics when replying to our queries.)

Deanski, I believe a PC is a "random orbital."

I`ve not just used 3M Fine Cut, but also their HeavyCut. I`m in the process of using the HeavyCut with a yellow cutting pad on the severely oxidized `70 Karmann Ghia. It takes a whole lot of time and effort to work out the oxidation. And I know that I`ll then need to step down to FineCut and SMR (at least) to buff out the tiny scratches that HeavyCut introduces.

I`m also trying to work on a bad repaint on the clearcoated 75 Jag; tried the FineCut, and it did not even touch the bodyshop-installed rotary swirls. On the other hand, I kept the speed fairly low (3 to 4) and didn`t bear-down with lots of pressure.

Fisher, the basic principle we use is to start with the least aggressive product/pad combo, and work up til you get the results you want. I don`t think any of us would start with FineCut, unless it`s really obvious (based on experience) that the paint is in such rough shape that it`s not a risk; but I, for one, wouldn`t be terrified to work up to it gradually.

fisher
08-12-2003, 06:15 AM
thanks for the info!

chris0626
08-12-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Lynn

First things first, fisher. What`s the condition of your paint? and is it single-stage or clearcoated? (P.S. Lots of us put our car year/make/model/color in our sig lines so folks will know those basics when replying to our queries.)

If you`ll answer those questions, I expect you`ll get lots more and useful replies to your question from more veteran Autopians. :up

fisher
08-12-2003, 10:40 PM
well Its a 99 Grand Am SE metallic blue(very nice)with clear coat. The paint seems to be in good shape but right now there is alot of tree sap on it :( Before the sap was on there it was very nice and smooth.I just want to get rid of some of the light swirl marks I have.I dont have a PC just a 6" random orbital from Wen.I have Meg`s Scratch X but my arms cannt keep up to it.I could get the Meg meduim cut for free thats why I ask this question.I dont have access to the stuff you guys mention.All i have is the 3 step for Meg. and the scratch X,S100 and gold class.I hope that gives you enough info. Oh yah I can get the heavy cut cleaner for free too.(cannt remember the number)

shaf
08-12-2003, 11:01 PM
I haven`t used anything you speak of yet :lol (I have some #1 lying around) but #1 is supposed to be for ROTARY use, so it`s probably more sensitive to being worked in thoroughly than other products which are okay by RO or hand.

I would personally use it by hand in your situation. You probably can`t get enough pressure/speed out of your Wen without bogging it down. With some pressure and elbow grease you can actually create quite a bit heat and friction by hand. I know, I know, it`s a lot of work, but maybe if you just do it a small area at a time taking breaks.... *shrug*

.... Actually, I just re-read some of the above, and I might suggest DACP or 3M Fine Cut if you only have light swirls. Medium Cut might be *too* much for just light swirls. Some people have used Meguiar`s #2 Fine Cut too, but it`s also supposed to be a rotary product. Do you have a Wal-Mart nearby? They sell the smaller 8oz 3M Fine Cut in the body repair section...

Scottwax
08-12-2003, 11:16 PM
I`d use clay to get rid of the tree sap, then use either Meguiars Swirl Free or DACP to polish out the paint. Medium Cut is pretty strong stuff, so that should be a last resort, not a first.