PDA

View Full Version : WHat stores carry the Porter Cable 7336/7424?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Brett K
08-11-2003, 06:33 PM
I was wondering which stores carry the PC? Lowe`s doesn`t, Home Depot doesn`t, Sears doesn`t! Is buying it online the only option? I would like to actually see it first and possibly get it sooner than having to wait.

Jngrbrdman
08-11-2003, 07:04 PM
All the Lowe`s I`ve been in have had the 7336. I`ve been in one in Utah and 3 in California. Any store that carries the Porter Cable brand tool should be able to order it in for you.

Deanski
08-11-2003, 08:12 PM
Best price I`ve come accross:

New PC Kit (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+sfmh7612ffc220c2+1058186817)

Oh yea, don`t forget the guide:

PC for beginners (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1)

Regards,

Deanski

chris0626
08-11-2003, 08:41 PM
Also check out 4DSC`s PC Accessorizing Thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14421). It`s been awhile since I read it, but I believe these two are the same PC; the only difference is in the accessories that come with the buffer. Lots of folks buy the readily-available 7336, then order the additional backing plate and counterweight from our favorite online vendors (like Coastal, CMA, etc.).

shaf
08-12-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Brett K

I was wondering which stores carry the PC? Lowe`s doesn`t, Home Depot doesn`t, Sears doesn`t! Is buying it online the only option? I would like to actually see it first and possibly get it sooner than having to wait. My thread won`t really give much insight to where to buy a PC, but try phoning up all the places under Tools and the places under Building Supplies - Retail in the phone book that sell power tools. That`s how I found mine. :up

imported_awd330
08-18-2003, 04:19 PM
I live near 3 Home Depot stores. One of them just started stocking the 7424 for $107. No sign of this item yet at the two other stores.

weegee
08-18-2003, 05:11 PM
Could some one break this down for me because it`s all Chinese to me.

I went to that link that Deanski provided at Coastaltool.com. Looks good, but I don`t know what else I need to get started.

So in that kit they give you the PC 7424, 6" Hook & Loop Contour pad (is this so you have velcro back and can change out pads???), 6" foam pad and 6" counterweight which I guess is for using 6" pads instead of 5".

So from here, what else do I need. I run across posts that talk about yellow pads, white pads, etc.

Could someone please list out everything I need for weekend warrior type use. Not looking to become a pro at, but definitely want to get the job done. Basically need list for quarterly polishing/SMR, and bi-weekly waxing. How many pads do I need, what kind, etc. etc.

TIA

SK2003TypeS
08-18-2003, 05:49 PM
weegee,

As the gurus above already noted, read those threads.....and then read them again and again.

I got the PC 7424 at Coastal with 6" velcro backing plate and counter weight. You simply replace the 5 weight with the 6 weight. After an online order I got it in 2 days. They`re in Conn, I`m in NY.

Here`s my weekend warriors kit (all from top of the line):

3 7.5" White Polishing pads (Lake Country)

4 7.5" Black Finishing pads (Lake Country)

Buy 6/$45

I got these for buffing out, but haven`t used them since it was so easy to buff out with MF towels.

2 6" White Finishing Pads

6 6" Terry Bonnets

Get a couple Yellow if you need something more agressive.

So for your weekend warriors kit, consider 2 yellow, 2 white, 2 black. At least get 2 of each.

Hope this helps.

Deanski
08-18-2003, 06:15 PM
WeeGee,

Here is a good source for pads: Your new pads! (http://properautocare.com/adfoampadfor.html)

Pads and what they do:

Type of pads (http://properautocare.com/foampadcomch.html)

Look trough the site as they have many polishes and waxes as well.

Regards,

Deanski

weegee
08-18-2003, 06:54 PM
thanks guys. awesome site. really helpful people.

considering I just did the hand routine, I don`t know if I should wait to buy. That coastaltool kit looks pretty nice. Seems like I`ll only need the pads and I`ll be ready to go.

Is it too soon to redo the SMR routine? I mean, can you over polish your car? I applied coat of SMR, GEPC and Blitz this past weekend. I usually do that (interchanging IHG for SMR if no major swirls) every 3 months. Could I redo it in a couple weeks with the PC and hopefully get out the swirls I couldn`t get out by hand?

p.s. on that link for pads, those are 7.5". Are they okay to use with 6" PC without a heavier counterweight? I think I`m getting the hang of this.

Deanski
08-18-2003, 07:11 PM
WeeGee,

Yes, we all mostly use the 7.5" pads as they give more control and more surface area.

You can remove those swirls if they are not bad with 3M PIII-MG or Megs #9 or Megs SMR (Bodyshop version). If they are numerous, you may want to start with DACP. If not, try a less abrasive level product and moderate pressure as you polish. Read the PC Beginner guide for help in how to use it correctly.

Once you have one, you`ll never go back to hand polish, well, maybe for a very fine glaze, but any good glaze and a white or black pad will do the trick. On my SC430 I used 3M PIII-MG followed by Menzerna FP. Polishes all act differently with pads and finish, so it can be a learning curve, but you`ll do fine. Just be carefull around edges and hood ends as they all have less paint/clearcoat than middle of panels. Some tape the areas with blue painters tape and return later by hand to resolve those areas taped.

Take your time, and enjoy what we all love! Polishing with less time and better results. Just watch how ell it comes out after a PC! It`s hard to put down!

Have fun and enjoy the PC and let us know when you get it and any further questions you may have.

Regards,

Deanski

weegee
08-18-2003, 07:25 PM
thanks Deanski.

I`ll be buying soon. Do you think I should wait to redo my polishing routine since I just did it? I don`t want to hurt the paint.

Deanski
08-18-2003, 08:04 PM
Weegee,

If it looks good, why mess with it. But then again, to me I`m always looking for improvement, problem is always time.

If you have swirls and want them gone, budget time and break out the new PC and have at it.

Remember, wash, clay, wash, polish and wax. Which ever wax you choose, you`ll love how well it looks once the swirls are gone and the finish looks like a mirror before you even wax.

So many polishes and waxes, so find one that works for you and stay with it for now. Later, you look at it and say, "Gee, maybe if I use WAX_ABC, maybe it may look better" Well, welcome to our madness/obsession.

Regards,

Deanski

weegee
08-18-2003, 08:09 PM
LOL. We`re getting totally off topic now, but here`s what I plan to do now that I ordered a PC 7424 with 6" counter weight and 6" velcro backing. I feel like Tim Allen getting all excited over his tools.

Wash. Don`t need the clay because paint is pretty clean.

yellow pad with 3M SMR

white pad with GEPC

Blitz, probably by hand (I still need some sort of work out)

Question: If I want to insert Klasse SG into the routine, will it work well with the GEPC or should I substitute the GEPC with AIO? Lastly, I think I heard that SG should probably be applied by hand as well, correct?

Deanski
08-18-2003, 08:28 PM
You could just go into AIO then SG. On sealants, I remove all oils left by polishes by doing a Dawn wash, then I wash again with Zaino Z7 (since I use Zaino) or any good car wash to remove any remaining oils. Then it`s off to sealant land!

I`m not an expert on AIO/SG, but check out the threads via search and ask one of the AIO/SG guys on this one. I`d "PM" one of the guys and set a link to this thread so they can reference what`s been going on. Some of them top the SG with S100 for added depth and kind of a sacrificial layer.

Anyway you go, just having the PC will be a winner!

Sealants such as Megs #20 and others have enough petroleum in them to clean oils off and bond well.

If the swirls are light, the 3M SMR will work OK, but I`d go with 3M PIII-MG opposed to the SMR. GEPC is a great polish and by PC, it will be like a mirror! Wax by hand is my way of applying, as I control it better, and can wipe off quickly w/o putting the polisher down and getting the MF`s to wipe. I go back/forth on hood/trunk and up/down on sides. Helps with the way wax captures light.

Regards,

Deanski