PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever hear of "Auto Armor"?

Pages : [1] 2

Mike_Phillips
08-11-2003, 12:29 PM
Hi all,

Has anyone here ever heard of a detailing franchise called, Auto Armor?

I`ve never heard of them before but supposedly, they have been around since 1969?

Thanks,

Mike

CharlesW
08-11-2003, 12:38 PM
Yep!

There is one in our area. S&C Automotive. They are pretty darn good at what they do. The sealant they use needs to be reapplied periodically. A bottle of it is given to the purchaser of the service for him to use. They also have a special rate to detail Auto Armor customers cars each year. I don`t know anything about the product, but I have seen lots of their work. Looks good.

imported_Larry A
08-11-2003, 03:42 PM
The Auto Armor factory is in Chicago . They also make rust roofing and fabric sheild. A few years ago they bought Rusty Jones, I think they bought other companys as well. I used their stuff many years ago and it was great but I dont know about now. They sold to new car dealers.

imported_edschwab1
08-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Mike,

Auto Armor is part of ECP of Chicago. Click here (http://www.ecpinc.net/) for link to ECP homepage.

My Grandmother had Auto Armor applied to her 92 caprice. It was to long away to remeber appearance or durablilty. If you asked sooner I would have sent you an old bottle of sealant they give out at time of purchase. I used the bottle once, then used Megs Cleaner wax.

Eric

tkr128
08-11-2003, 04:42 PM
My dad had this applied to his car when it was new, about 16 years ago. It was a dealer-installed sealant. I just threw out a few really old bottles a few days ago.

JustinR32
08-11-2003, 06:14 PM
I used to offer it when I was a salesman. I can`t remember much about it, that was the late 80s. I remember thinking at that time that it was batter than other products, but I wouldn`t call that memory an endorsement.

We have something now called "Auto Guard" that we don`t sell, but apply to the cars to keep the acid rain from marring the finish (I`m in Northeast PA, people here still burn coal in the winter for heat). I`ve tried to pin the rep down on what his product actually is, but I honestly don`t think he knows. It IS a decent protectant, though. We have very few acid rain spot complaints any more. Back in the mid `90s, we had some cars in inventory so long that they had acid rain burns right down to the bare metal. That`s when we took on Auto Guard. Sure, the paints have gotten better, but that tells you what we have to deal with here.

Tom

Mike_Phillips
08-12-2003, 08:57 AM
Hey thanks everybody! :xyxthumbs

weegee
08-13-2003, 04:01 PM
I`ve got this on my new Audi. Honestly, it works pretty good. I`m not sure about shine and what not, but it does help cleaning up grit, bird pooh, etc.

I`m actually about to do my quarterly detail, and I`m not sure at which point to apply the paint cleaner (aka sealant) that they give you. I use Blitz wax and GEPC, but also need to get a coat of 3M swirl remover to get off some light scratches.

Anybody have any ideas? Am I wasting my time applying the Auto Armor sealant and then going over it with a polish?

CharlesW
08-13-2003, 04:11 PM
weegee:

Why don`t you call the Auto Armor people and get their recommendation?

Since it is a sealant, (I think), it might not bond to GEPC, Blitz, or the 3M swirl remover without some kind of cleaner/prep before the AA goes on.

As always, AIO would be my choice of products to use after the swirl remover.:)

Charles

weegee
08-13-2003, 04:19 PM
thanks Charles. I talked to AA a few months ago and their claim is I don`t need polish or wax after using their product. "whatever" After insisting with them, they said I could use polish and wax afterward if I really, really, really wanted to.

But I never thought to ask about applying the cleaner/sealer once I`ve already applied some polish, wax, etc. I figure I`ll dawn wash to strip off everything and start with the AA cleaner. If it sticks it sticks, if it doesn`t hmmmm.

I`m a newbie, so please let me know what is AIO? I`m familiar with some of the acronyms, but not ashamed to admit that`s a new one to me.

I can`t figure out how I got these "swirls", they`re actually more like spider webs. I do everything in a straight line motion and use very soft, clean terry cloth. It must have been on there from the dealer and now that the wax is wearing off, I`m noticing it. Although, I swear my California Duster is leaving behind some fine scratches. Maybe I`m crazy.

CharlesW
08-13-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by weegee

thanks Charles. I talked to AA a few months ago and their claim is I don`t need polish or wax after using their product. "whatever" After insisting with them, they said I could use polish and wax afterward if I really, really, really wanted to.

But I never thought to ask about applying the cleaner/sealer once I`ve already applied some polish, wax, etc. I figure I`ll dawn wash to strip off everything and start with the AA cleaner. If it sticks it sticks, if it doesn`t hmmmm.

I`m a newbie, so please let me know what is AIO? I`m familiar with some of the acronyms, but not ashamed to admit that`s a new one to me.

I can`t figure out how I got these "swirls", they`re actually more like spider webs. I do everything in a straight line motion and use very soft, clean terry cloth. It must have been on there from the dealer and now that the wax is wearing off, I`m noticing it. Although, I swear my California Duster is leaving behind some fine scratches. Maybe I`m crazy.

AIO is Klasse "All In One". A cleaner/sealant that really works great for me. I use it under a sealant, (Platinum UPP), on one vehicle and under a carnauba wax, (S100) on another. IMO, one of the best products I have ever used.

The home page has a link to a list of acronyms that could be helpful.

The CCD leaving fine scratches has been mentioned before. Maybe, maybe not. Try not using it for a while and see if the fine scratch problem goes away.

Charles:wavey

tkr128
08-13-2003, 05:18 PM
I just remembered something about this product. I remember looking at the bottle I threw out and it had the word "Teflon" on it.

Scottwax
08-13-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by tkr128

I just remembered something about this product. I remember looking at the bottle I threw out and it had the word "Teflon" on it.

That would be enough for me to toss a bottle out also. :angry

weegee
08-15-2003, 12:58 PM
I talked to the people over at ECP (aka Auto Armor). He told me that the bottle provided in the maintenance kit is basically a sealant, even though it`s called a paint cleaner. So it should be applied after any polishing, swirl removing, etc. But they swear up and down not to bother with a wax topper afterward.

I`m still leaning towards topping with a coat of blitz anyway. I figure it can`t hurt.

GoodnClean
08-15-2003, 03:02 PM
I had this applied to my Explorer when I got it, spent several hundred dollars for it. basically from what I know now its only a sealant, I`d have been equally as well off buying a bottle of Zaino Z2 and applying it once a year. They say "You never have to wax, just put on the rejuvinator once a year" all it is is a sealant. Waste of money. First time I SMR`ed the Explorer it was gone, so was my $400. Total profit for the dealer.

I still have the bottle in the closet if anyone wants it or would like to see what it says.