PDA

View Full Version : Good bug remover that takes off the bugs but not your wax??

Pages : [1] 2

imported_BluHeaven
08-10-2003, 09:29 PM
I really like the einzett insekt bug remover.... spray, set 1 minute and they literally rinse off..... but I have no clue the affect it has on my 3 coats of BF2??

anyone know if it strips it off or not???

are their any good bug removers that don`t strip wax?

TIA!

YoSteve
08-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Sorry man, you are the best bug remover that doesn`t strip wax. You gotta catch the bugs early, carry a spray bottle some QD and some microfiber towels with ya.

One thing you can also do is take good car wash shampoo and foam it up and put it on the bugs. I use a microfiber towel to scrub, rather than a chemical.

SVR
08-11-2003, 06:08 AM
you can get special bug sponges from detailing wholesalers. They look and feel rough as hell but do not scratch if kept wet. Take off bugs in a flash.

JimS
08-11-2003, 06:51 AM
I use Poorboys Spray & Wipe. I spray it on, let it sit for a half minute or so and it softens bugs considerably. I use it on paint, chrome and windshield. Not a cure-all but it works well. The Cure-all is called winter!....not sure I want to wish for a cure-all!

imported_CBX Carl
08-11-2003, 07:48 AM
I have been using our Daughters Baby ( Non - Alchohol ) wipes. I follow with QD , QW and a buff with MF.

Accumulator
08-11-2003, 10:56 AM
I just clay (VERY gently) during the wash. Doesn`t seem to remove my wax/SG/BF at all. I spot-clay with EVERY wash.

EBPcivicsi
08-11-2003, 01:41 PM
Living in Memphis, I have tried almost every bug remover you can think of. The only one I have found is actually a carwash. It is "turtle wax bug&tar carwash. I just put it in a spray bottle(it is very thin) and use it full strength on the fron bumper, mirrors etc. It says on the bottle "won`t strip wax" and I have had no problem with it stripping meg`s #26, UPP, PBEX, etc. It is about $5 a bottle(it comes in a blue bottle) and I buy it at autozone.

ktcircle
08-11-2003, 02:04 PM
I`d have to agree with YoSteve. Bugs on a car is like lasagna on a pan... got to get to it early!

I just carry my QD everywhere and an MF and it`s good to go. A couple sprays, wait a few seconds... one wipe gets the bugs, next wipe dries it off.

Nikon
08-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by BluHeaven

I really like the einzett insekt bug remover.... but I have no clue the affect it has on my 3 coats of BF2??

David made some comments about the affect of bug removers on wax and sealant and recomdended Sonus bug remover as being kinder to sealants.

David`s comment was "What I have discovered is that SONAX Insect Remover will not remove your Klasse, Zaino or Glanz, but it will take off any Carnauba wax. That`s just the harsh reality of Carnauba." This was stated in this Bug and Tar Remover (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21857&highlight=Bug) thread.

Here is another thread on David`s Bug and Tar Instructions (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8594&highlight=Bug)

I`ve been using the Porsche Tequipment bug remover and quite like it. The down side is that it strips the sealant and can stain black moldings and plastic if I let it sit on those parts too long.

Hope this helps.

TortoiseAWD
08-12-2003, 07:59 AM
I`ve had decent luck mixing a relatively strong Zaino Z7/water solution and using it as a bug pre-treatment before washing the rest of the car. I usually take the car to a coin-op spray bay to get heavier dirt and bugs off with the pressure washer before hand-washing, and the pre-treatment seems to cause the bugs to release from the paint much more easily. I spray the nose of the car liberally and let it soak as I work on tires/wheels, re-spraying occasionally to make sure it doesn`t dry, then rinse with the pressure washer.

Although this technique doesn`t work nearly as well as something like the Sonus pre-treatment, it does make a difference, and it`s both cheap and unlikely to strip sealant . . .

Tort

HellrotCi
08-12-2003, 08:34 AM
I use Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish (http://www.hondamotorcycles.com/the_goods/parts_and_service/detail.asp?ProductGroup=Cleaners+%26+Polishes&PartId=08C25-P011M&PartValue=Spray+Cleaner+%26+Polish&TheGoodsDir=3). When I used to have my Honda Gold Wing, it was the only thing I ever used on the plexiglass windshield. I doesn`t run or drip when you spray it on. I guess when it`s exposed to air it kind of congeals. You let it sit for a minute or so and it softens the bug stuff and then wipes right off. I never had any problems with scratching the windshield, which would really show up at night if it did.

imported_BretFraz
08-12-2003, 08:49 AM
I like Hi Temp`s Bug Juice Remover. Works a lot like the Porsche Tequipment product but is lots cheaper. I assume it strips wax and probably affects sealants so I apply another coat of sealant to the front just to be sure.

CleanMachine
08-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Bugs are alot easier to get off first thing in the morning when the car is nice and dewy. If you have a garage then this may not work for you.

imported_Intermezzo
08-12-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I just clay (VERY gently) during the wash. Doesn`t seem to remove my wax/SG/BF at all. I spot-clay with EVERY wash. :xyxthumbs

This method works very well!

greathuskie
08-14-2003, 05:23 PM
but im sure it also ruins your clay pretty fast