PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I`m gonna order the new Zaino... What all should I get?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Aurora40
08-10-2003, 04:36 PM
Alright, I can resist it no longer. I`m going to have to try Zaino... So, I`m thinking of getting the following stuff (one each):

ZFX

Z2

Z5

Z6

Z7

and Z12 because it seems interesting.

I assume Z6/Z7 are 16 oz. each? I`m thinking of just getting one of each because I will continue to use #00 car wash and Final Detail when I`m not going to be adding layers. I also still have a lot of Meg`s Detailer clay and will probably buy Clay Magic when I use that up. So I just need the Z6/Z7 for those times I`m actually adding Zaino.

I guess I`ll get one applicator free with my order, but I prefer foam applicators as they don`t soak up as much product.

To tell you the truth, I`m wondering if I could do without the Z2 and just get Z5, but that seems sort of dumb since I`m getting so much stuff and paying the shipping and all... So, does this seem like a good order? Anything I`m missing? Thanks! :wavey

Oh, hey, as a more general question, I`m thinking I`d use 64:1 APC+ instead of a dawn wash at first. This way I can avoid spraying it on plastics and rubber such as in front of the windshield (I doubt Dawn does this stuff any good). Plus, I don`t have to rub a poor carwash on the paint. I have no reason to believe Dawn will buffer dirt enough to save the paint. I mean, it`s not a car wash... I`ll probably wash the car, clay, hit it with some Swirl Free Polish, spray it down with the 64:1 APC+, rinse, then wash it with Z7 and start the Zaino polishing. Sound good, bad, dumb?

imported_memnuts
08-10-2003, 06:01 PM
Sounds great!!

If you did not already have some clay I would suggest the Z18. Really easy, effective and pliable product. It held up very well and I used an over abundance of lube.

Aurora 4.0 you know the deal.... Prep, Prep, Prep, and when you think your prep is completed. Prep some more ( Paint Cleanser after the SMR prior to APC or Dawn and Z7 wash.

I am so sure you will like the experience that I will buy your leftovers if you are not pleased. :wavey

fidelfs
08-10-2003, 06:23 PM
It is funny!

I just finish my first Zaino ever and then came to my computer and read another future lover of Zaino.

I did the Dawn carwash but I found a little problem. I had a bad storm yerterday and the car was dirty. Dawn was not able to remove all the dirt so I sugest to wash it with your regular carwasy and then use Dawn or something similar.

This was my routine.

Wash with Dawn.

Spray some regular carwash into some areas to remove dirt. You don`t want dirt get into the clay bar.

Clay the car. (lots of lubricant).

Wash with Dawn to remove everything.

Apply Z5 plus ZFX.

wait 1.5 hours

Buff it

Spray Z6

Buff it

Apply Z2 plus ZFX

wait 30 min.

Buff it

Spray Z6

Buff it

Apply second coat of Z2 plus ZFX

wait 30 min.

Buff it

Spray Z6.

Don`t worry about the pads. You won`t use alot of product to damp the applicator. You use a few drops every time and it is enough to get the best shine.

Have Fun with Zaino.

I also order P21S to apply a wax coat to get a better result. (This is optional).

:xyxthumbs

Deanski
08-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Wash your car with "normal" car wash the first time prior to polishing.

Polish and glaze your finish after you`ve clayed it prior, step back and check the results. You want as best effect of polish/glaze prior to Zaino.

OK, now your finish is perfect, wash car with Dawn, then follow with Z7 to remove any further Dawn film or oils Dawn may have missed. Dawn gets into the cracks well enough to remove oils, where as Z7 does remove some oils, but not as agressive as Dawn. You can use the APC+, but you want a high alkaline product to cut and remove oils. APC+ is not a high alkaline product, but does contain good cleaners to remove oils/grease and silicones. Use Z7 after to remove any film from APC+.

Dry car.

Mix up your ZFX/Z5 as you finish drying the car. Shake it well then let it sit for say 5 mins as you get ready.

Z6 the finish prior to the ZFX/Z5.

Apply the ZFX/Z5 very lightly. Let it haze and wipe off. If it streaks, get a spray bottle and mix 1/2 cap of Z7 with 12oz. water and spray the ares lightly and remove. Respray the finish with Z6 B4 your next coat of ZFX/Z5. Keep this up 3 times, as you can only coat it up to 3 coats on one day.

Next day, Z6, ZFX/Z2 up to 3 coats.

Please see the results on my SC430. Zaino works very well as long as you do as much prep in getting the finish smooth, clean, swirl free as possible.

Enjoy the new and improved Zaino!

Regards,

Deanski

imported_Aurora40
08-10-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by fidelfs

Spray some regular carwash into some areas to remove dirt. You don`t want dirt get into the clay bar.

I also order P21S to apply a wax coat to get a better result. (This is optional).

You should probably remove any dirt while washing. I`m not really sure what you mean by spraying carwash... If you can`t hit it with a mitt/sponge, then I doubt you`d hit it with clay or the protectant applicator. But I`m also not sure how there would be dirt you can`t reach with a mitt.

I`ve already got some Souveran, but if Zaino requires it for that bang-up look, then I`ll just hawk my leftovers to BlkZ28Conv and go back to Blackfire.

It`s funny, I recently slapped two coats of Souv on the car on top of Blackfire, but I hate topping. It means I can`t put on any more Blackfire. It does change the look, though, by reducing the "pop" a tad and adding a tad more depth. If it were a $10 product, I wouldn`t feel compelled to use it, but as a $70 product, I just can`t help it. Maybe I should start using it on the toilet seats or something just to keep using it... How could I just let Souveran rot away on a shelf?? :eek:

Thanks for sharing your Zaino experience, though. I`ll probably do my first 3 coats of all Z5 as it sounds like you have to mix up at least one ounce with ZFX, and if it spreads as well as BF, I could probably easily get three coats out of that.

And thanks BlkZ28Conv and Deanski for the tips. I am really starting to get excited about trying it. Who`d have thought that? I really really love Blackfire II... Hey BlkZ28, whatcha mean about a cleaner after the SFP? I guess you mean a real light type of cleaner like GEPC or something? I`m not sure what that would add, as the SFP will clean the paint, and those light cleaners mainly add polishing oils and such which will just be stripped. Thanks for all the input. I`ll probably place my order tomorrow. I`m not sure when I`ll get a chance to use it, though. Thanks!! :D :dance

Deanski
08-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Here`s some more from Nick.

Nicks Zaino tips parts One and Two (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23601&highlight=Zaino+tips)

Also, feel free to reach out to Sal Zaino, he`s helped me obtain the best effect from the product, after all he makes it. If you run into any issues or have questions on it, he`s your best bet!

Regards,

Deanski

Brad B
08-10-2003, 10:20 PM
Ha, ha! knew you would get hooked!:D

imported_killerjg
08-10-2003, 11:14 PM
I, too, would put a plug in for Z-18, just added this to my line up and like the rest of the line continue to be impressed. If you are up for a claying you won`t be disappointed by Z`s clay.

imported_NHBFAN
08-10-2003, 11:38 PM
I`m considering Z also. 2 questions:

1. My paint is in excellent condition (2003 model that I`ve cared for meticulously), Do I need Z5, or can I just go with Z2/Zfx?

2. Do I need Zaino claybars or would another brand do? Z18 is pretty expensive

JasonC8301
08-11-2003, 12:07 AM
Likecars! w/b!!!!!

I have Z18 - I put it along the lines of Mothers, but hey if Mother`s is not near you in terms of being available, go for Z18. Its a very good clay.

Z12/Z14 I love these two products. I use Z-14 to polish clear plastics (very mild, takes time on headlights) then maintain with Z18. Z12 glass after claying, then Z2.

Can`t go wrong with anything in the Z line....

Deanski
08-11-2003, 05:03 AM
NHBFAN,

You should order both Z5 and Z2. Z5 hides very minor swirls or spider web. You should also order the ZFX kit, Z6 and the clay Z18 and the car wash Z7.

All products complement each other.

Enjoy the Zaino!

Regards,

Deanski

imported_memnuts
08-11-2003, 05:17 AM
Hey Aurora 4.0,

I use the P21S GEPC as a final light polish ( gloss ehnacement). I find that GEPC really does have an effect on the final gloss even when its accompanying oils are wash away with the subsequent Dawn and Z7 wash.

By the way Aurora 4.0, I am still addicted to Souveran, have the new liquid version on the way ( great deal Jason) and I use this product plus Poorboy`s EX and Blackfire on my wife`s car ( black Lexus LS400).

NHBFAN

What color is your car? If your paint is free of any marring, Z2 is the only product you would really need. With that said, it is nice to have Z5 to alleviate any minor damage the occurs through normal washing and Qd`ing until they can be repaired during your next polishing session.

:wavey

fidelfs
08-11-2003, 09:09 AM
The sprying carwash was to remove some dirt that dawn couldn`t. I had a spray bottle and my mitt. I spray those areas and remove it with my mitt. The mitt was already soaked from the previous carwash with dawn.

My recomendation will be to use a regular carwash and remove all the dirt before dawn.

imported_Aurora40
08-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Ok, I ordered it. I got exactly what I posted originally, plus one extra applicator just for the heck of it. If they`re nice, I`ll be glad I did, and if not it`s just a couple bucks. I imagine I`ll use foam apps, though.

Thanks all for the tips and suggestions. I`ll let you know how I make out, though I probably won`t be applying it for a little while. Blackfire II really blew me away, though, so it`s got some fair sized shoes to fill. :D

imported_garyo
08-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Deanski,

I have a question with regard to the use of Z5. I notice in most of your recommendations for using Zaino, you recommend starting out with Z5 instead of Z2 or Z3.

Would it depend on the condition of the surface? In other words, if the surface was thoroughly prepared using something like Menzerna IP and FP and was completely swirl free and mar free, would it be better to just start with the Z2 or Z3 (w/ZFX or Z1) because they are optically better than Z5? Then only use Z5 as necessary as micro marring occurs? It seems Z5 would only be the appropriate starting point if there were still imperfections in the surface. Or does Z5 offer sometype of bonding advantage?