PDA

View Full Version : 3m hand glaze very hard to remove??

Pages : [1] 2

greathuskie
08-09-2003, 05:41 PM
for the most part its not bad...but it leaves little, lets say sections, of wax that you EXTREMELY difficult to get rid of, you have to spray it with quick detail to get it off or else it wont move, why is this? any suggestions? should i switch to a different product?

qwik
08-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Are you talking about imperial hand glaze? Its not wax hehe - its glaze lol - sounds like you might be using too much. Maybe use a QD on your application pad

greathuskie
08-09-2003, 06:01 PM
oh yea, hehe, i said glaze in the title

:doh

jmsc
08-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Yep,

used it for many, many years and its hard to remove even with the mf towels, if applied too thick. Back then, IHG was THE #1 glaze. So I lived with the nuisance.

But now, I switched to or you may want to try the following just as good and more user-friendly polishes (in my favorite order):

1. Mother`s S&G (easiest polish of all to remove, imo)

2. P21S GEPC

3. Meguiar`s Hand Polish

4. 3M Show Car Finishing Glaze (apply thinly)

greathuskie
08-09-2003, 07:03 PM
mothers S&G?

:hm

jmsc
08-09-2003, 07:25 PM
I too was skeptical with Mother`s S&G at first.

1. its avail locally at about $5

2. its a `little` easier to apply and remove than GEPC which is very easy to work with

3. it produces a shine comparable to IHG and GEPC

4. its a sleeper product for sure

Try it. You`ll like it. For 5 bucks you can`t go wrong. Trust me.

imported_Larry A
08-09-2003, 08:37 PM
For a glaze Mothers S&G is the easy to use. GEPC and Sepc are also easy to use.

frankie
08-09-2003, 09:51 PM
does anyone know the product number for this show car finishing glaze by 3m or is this another name for 3m imperial hand glaze, id like to try it if its a new product

Deanski
08-09-2003, 10:42 PM
The PIII-FG which is a machine use application does contain a bit of carnuba wax in it and is easier to remove than the other glaze. If you are doing this al by hand, you may want to switch to Megs #7, as it is more used by hand than machine. Or the Megs hand glaze works well too.

I have the PIII-FG, but it`s not inside so I cannot remember the number off hand.

Too many times people apply way too much product by hand and end up with tuff removal. The other issue is working it fully, otherwise you are just spreading it around as it sets up (why it`s tuff to remove) and then finally breaks down enough for you to remove. Try working a small amount well into the finish until it starts to break down. If it`s hard to wipe off, it`s not done yet.

Regards,

Deanski

shaf
08-10-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by greathuskie

mothers S&G?

:hm Mothers Sealer & Glaze, step 2 of their Ultimate Wax System and yes, the same stuff you find on Pepboys shelves! :p It`s a product that seems to be gaining in popularity from people who have used similar products like #7 and IHG. For me, I have no issues with it so far and like its performance. I have no great urge to try anything else even though this was my first and only glaze. :)

Apologies if the :hm was not because you didn`t know what "S&G" meant. :o :doh

everner
08-10-2003, 08:04 AM
Perfect-It III Finishing Glaze-05941, Hand or DA applied, Durable high gloss finish, Contains no silicone, use sparingly, THIN film. I just got some Meguiar`s Hand Polish, M-8132 and tried it out. It is MUCH easier to work with than 05941. IMO it`s easier than #7 too, and the results are similiar. I think it has more cutting power(Very Light), than #7.

jmsc
08-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Frankie:

3M P-III Show Car FG #39013 (16 oz $9) is same as 3M P-III FG #05941 (32 oz $18) but the 16 oz bottle is alot tuffer to find. I had to special order mine from a 3M distributor. This FG is not IHG. FG has carnauba so it lasts a little longer. IHG does not.

4DSC:

Agree, Mothers S&G is one terrific glaze. Can be applied by hand or PC. It has become for me the glaze/light polish of choice. Goes on like butter and comes off like margarine. Have you ever tried it with a PC? Just curious.

rek:

Agree, Meg #81 is easier to work with than 3M FG or #7 or IHG.

frankie
08-10-2003, 01:43 PM
thanks for the info

im gonna try some mothers and the 3m glaze with wax

funny how a product you can get at pep boys is so easy to work with

shaf
08-10-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by jmsc

4DSC:

Agree, Mothers S&G is one terrific glaze. Can be applied by hand or PC. It has become for me the glaze/light polish of choice. Goes on like butter and comes off like margarine. Have you ever tried it with a PC? Just curious. Yes I have actually. I used a finishing pad to quickly just spread the stuff around. It`s hard to say if it worked "better", but it did allow me to lay on a coat of it very quickly and thinly. Sealer & Glaze seems to work well either way and is forgiving to use from what I can tell, so it still did its job. Not sure if that really answered your question or not, I`ve only done it once this way so far. :)

panapower
09-09-2003, 12:59 AM
... but what`s the difference in all these if I already have DACP, swirl mark remover, and AIO???

Speed Glaze

http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/product_m80.gif

Enriches gloss and color with machine or hand application. No matter how you choose to apply it, Meguiar’s Speed Glaze is a shortcut that cleans, polishes and protects in one simple step. You will quickly remove light scratches, stains and environmental contaminants. Speed Glaze is safe and effective on any kind of paint finish, including clear coats. It ensures that a deep, beautiful shine is just minutes away.

Body Shop Professional Hand Polish

http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/product_m81.gif

The gentlest way to achieve a perfectly smooth finish. A special blend of polishing oils will transform subtle surface defects into a uniform reflective sheen. Rich nutrients feed your finish to replace vital oils stripped away by oxidation. Dark paints in particular will respond with a shimmering depth of color and clarity. Our silicone-free formula also allows painting.

Body Shop Professional Swirl Free Polish

http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/product_m82.gif

Eliminates light scratches as well as swirl marks. The next step up in aggressiveness from Meguiar`s Hand Polish, Swirl Free Polish has the enhanced cutting power to tackle fine scratches, as well as more rapidly erase swirls. It`s formulated to apply smoothly-and wipe off with ease. Use it to safely restore a glistening reflective shine to all types of paint, including clear coats.