PDA

View Full Version : What to replace Mother`s polish with?

MikesJo
08-09-2003, 04:59 AM
Hey there guy and gals, i just finished my bottle of Mother pre-wax cleaner polish and was wondering what you guys would recommend for another polish since i need one now. I havn`t used anything but the mother`s polish and it takes off oxidation on a white car very well. What would you autopians recommend me using next? I also use S100 and AG Super Resin Polish (sealant/glaze) on my white car. TIA

Beason
08-09-2003, 08:05 AM
mothers reflections ive heard good stuff about, same with Meg #7 Show car glaze or #20 polymer Sealant works great

imported_Larry A
08-09-2003, 08:46 AM
You can also use Mothers sealer and Glaze Imperial Hand Glaze or just use the Mothers pre-cleaner since it works good for you . Its all in the prep. Mothers pre-cleaner,Mothers Sealer and Glaze and follow with S100 will give you a fantastic finish.

MikesJo
08-09-2003, 05:48 PM
I actually got mixed up with cleaner and polish. It`s a cleaner that i need replacing so i was looking at Meguiars #6 and DACP...whats the difference between the two? Thanks.

imported_Larry A
08-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Meguiars#6 is a cleaner wax. Dacp is a cleaner polish. Dacp is stronger.

MikesJo
08-09-2003, 08:45 PM
Cleaner wax and cleaner polish...difference?! (they both remove oxidation right...)

If i were to only buy one...i guess DACP would be the one?

JustinR32
08-09-2003, 10:53 PM
A cleaner wax leaves a protective film of wax behind. A cleaner polish shines your paint but leaves no layer of protection.

The terms "cleaner" "polish" "sealant" and "glaze" are not at all consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer. Mother`s pre-wax cleaner polish is not at all the same as Meguiar`s Dual Action Cleaner/Polish.

For Meguiar`s prep tools, "cleaner" is stronger than "polish" is stronger than "glaze". But none of those protect. The protectants are #6, #16, #20, #26, with #6 being a "one step", cleans polishs and protects all in one application. You give up a little of each in exchange for time and ease of use.

DACP is very strong as a detailing tool; I think of it as the last polish before the ones with the word "cut" in the title. Although you can use it by hand, I would never think of doing that personally; it takes at least 5 minutes to break down a 3` square with the PC. And my experience is, you have to work it all the way down, or it leaves swirls of its own.

if you were looking for another product to replace Mother`s pre-wax cleaner polish, I`d recommend Meguiar`s #9 or 3M Swirl Mark Remover. But, if you`re happy with the Mother`s, why not keep using it? It is a quality product that works as well as the Meg`s or 3M. Switch for variety`s sake if you want to (I do it all the time), but you can get great results with the Mother`s.

Tom

YoSteve
08-10-2003, 12:47 AM
3M

AIO

shaf
08-10-2003, 04:48 AM
Yeah good post Mosca! :up

I agree - if you only need something as strong as Mothers Pre-wax cleaner, I`d suggest you continue to use it. Average retail pre-wax cleaners are intentionally easy to use. You don`t really have to "work it in" as much as with pretty much everything else because it`s so gentle. Other real abrasive polishes are going to be anything from a bit stronger to significantly stronger. Are you wanting more strength or something?

BTW, as far as I know Autoglym SRP should do that job too I believe since it is a product similar (in function) to AIO.... but the Mothers is cheaper to use! :p

MikesJo
08-10-2003, 05:11 AM
The mothers pre-wax cleaner and the AG resin are a bit different. The resin doesn`t remove oxidation like the mothers does; i think the AG resin is more of a glaze. I`m just looking to try something different but the same sort of thing as the pre-wax cleaner (removing oxidation). Not something like the AG glaze/sealant.

MikesJo
08-11-2003, 03:42 AM
I`m curious...i just did the pre-wax cleaner and topped it with S100 w/o anything in between...is this bad?! Should i have applied something like AIO or the AG Resin Polish i had...(i couldn`t get the damn camp open on the AG so i gave up on it lol).

SVR
08-11-2003, 05:34 AM
I`ve had marvelous results with PPG final glaze 2000 a wet look polish/glaze applied by machine or hand. I then top with malco flash wax or 3M premium liquid wax.

shaf
08-11-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by MikesJo

I`m curious...i just did the pre-wax cleaner and topped it with S100 w/o anything in between...is this bad?! Should i have applied something like AIO or the AG Resin Polish i had...(i couldn`t get the damn camp open on the AG so i gave up on it lol). No, glazing after polishing/cleaning/whatever you call it, is optional.