PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire -- last minute suggestions

tguil
08-08-2003, 09:31 PM
I`ve had BLACKFIRE polish and sealer stitting on my shelf for two months. I guess it`s time to get to work. I`ll be applying it to my 2003 black Dodge 1500 Quad Cab. It`s a darned big truck. Any last minute suggestions for making the job go well? I`ll be applying both products with a PC and I have both MF towels and MF bonnets for the PC.

The truck has been washed, clayed and washed again. There are no swirls.

By the way prior to this, the truck has had a good coat of Meguiar`s Medallion Premium Paint Protection on it. It`s a darned good product and is easy to use.

If the BLACKFIRE isn`t one heck of a lot better, I`ll go back to the MMPPP.

Tom :cool:

Patrick
08-08-2003, 09:41 PM
We need to talk !! Im going to try to find my fail proof BF II directions.....Shoot, forget it...

Ok, first thing, dont use the AFPP with an orbital, too much waste...Im going to skip the prep ritual also...However I do recommend using the polish as your first step prior to using the AFPP....

Low humidity is your friend here, drying time is important, and its extended if humidity is up...

The polish is pretty straightforward, and rather basic, I do get some areas that appear heavy with oil after using the polish but not to fear, if that happens to you, park the car in the sun for a tad, just long enough to warm the surface back up. Residuals wipe easier when their thinner, and this is accomplished by warming it, hence the sun treatment, use a MF throughout your process. If you still have "spotting" after the MF wipedown, go ahead and use a QD to assist, preferably Blackfires product, or use straight water. You can opt to use a sponge applicator for AFPP, no problems there. What I really prefer to do when appllying the AFPP, is to use two light coats. AFPP should be light to begin with, but I feel I get even more astounding results by applying a second coat, before wiping the first. Just make sure your first coat has hazed, then give it an additional 1/2 hr. They recommend 1 hr b4 wiping anyway. Being as you have a black truck, errors or misapplication problems are less forgiving i.e. TOO MUCH PRODUCT !!! :nono

I use BF II exclusively for black and red, and even on my 99 Cuad Cab Driftwood light satin.....PM me if you have any probs ! Be glad to help you !!

imported_Aurora40
08-08-2003, 10:25 PM
Make sure to use it sparingly!! It is much less forgiving than MPPP. I have a pretty large car, and I swear I use like 1/2 an ounce or less. I`ve probably put 6-8 coats on and the bottle`s so full it could almost be mistaken for a new one. Patrick`s right, you need to give it time to set before buffing. Let it sit longer if you have the time/means. At the worst, a subsequent wash will fix any haze/residue you can`t buff. Also, try it on your windows. It`s like Rain-X but way more so (assuming it`s the new BF).

I disagree with Patrick about the PC, though. I find it much easier to apply via PC. I think it`s much easier to spread it around and keep it thin with a PC than by hand.

I spread it by placing a blob about the size of a medium/large raindrop on the panel and spreading it into a 6" line with my finger. Then I pull it into the PC pad much like one would do with a buffer. That`s really all the product it takes. On smaller panels I just put a tiny little dab do the same spreading thing, though only to about a 3-4" line.

Corey Bit Spank
08-09-2003, 12:52 AM
Just don`t keep it out in the garage where it could freeze in the winter like I did and you`ll have no problems. It`s pretty easy to use and I`ve had no problems with it.

Aurora, I`m getting a PC soon, and I have some pretty uhm, bad, swirls. I want to use something a little more agressive then the Blackfire polish, no filling properties. Any recommendations?

tguil
08-09-2003, 06:35 AM
Thanks, guys.

It`s 6:30 a.m. in Nebraska. I`ve had two cups of strong black coffee and I`m off to the garage.

Tom

JoshABI
08-09-2003, 08:48 AM
Tom, let us know how it turns out for you. I`m another huge advocate for BlackFire, and use it on my cars all the time. I`m with Aurora on the use of the PC to apply and both he and Patrick are right....you need to give it plenty of time before buffing, but I`ve found it to be very easy to use.

Corey, if you`re looking for something to get rid of your swirls, you have many many choices. You could go for something milder, like Meguiar`s #9 Swirl Remover, or if you really want to eliminate the swirls you could go for DACP or Menzerna`s IP. There is a ton of information in the old posts around supporting all of these products....check it out in a search.

I have never had bonding issues with my BF and other products. I usually don`t even use the BF Polish before the All-Finish Paint Protection. My method puts Meguiar`s #3 Machine Glaze before BF, and it has worked very well for me. I still get a couple months durability out of an application of BF...and if anyone remembers, Terry at CMA had that method listed as his "reference shine" routine. I think it went: BF Polish, #3 Machine Glaze, BF All-Finish PP, then Souveran.

tguil
08-09-2003, 10:48 AM
I`ve taken care of the polishing part. The application and removal is about the same as any other polish with PC. The Blackfire polish appears to give a bright hard surface. This is my first use of MF towels. They are GREAT!

It`s heating up in Nebraska -- 90 degrees+ with pretty high humidity. I`m going cover the truck (which is in my garage) with some very clean cotton sheets and apply the sealer tomorrow morning.

Thanks again for the help, guys.

imported_Aurora40
08-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Corey, what Stickking said... This last time I polished my car, I used Swirl Free Polish. I then followed up with the Blackfire protectant with no problems. It`s been on the car at least 3 months now and still going strong, though I have added 2 extra coats. I haven`t noticed the Blackfire polish to aid in the curing/adhesion of the protectant. However, you could certainly try something like SFP or DACP until you are satisfied with the swirl removal, then hit it with the BF polish and then the BF protectant. Or just go right to the protectant.

The Blackfire polish does seem to deepen the paint a bit, but nothing any other polish doesn`t do. It`s a fine product, but I haven`t really found it to help the overall result on an already outstanding finish. The light cleaners might be good for a car that isn`t as maintained, or maybe one that sits outside more or something. I just don`t find it necessary. After a few days to a week when the paint really starts to get that "pop", I don`t think you`d notice the difference if you had used the polish on one half and not on the other. I tend to think of the polish more as something for immediate satisfaction, whereas the protectant provides a longer-term satisfaction.

tguil, good luck with the protectant! It should go on quite easily, and if you keep it thin, it will buff off fairly easy as well.

airjames
08-09-2003, 09:35 PM
I don`t mean to bust anyones bubble here but, does anyone have problems with it smearing??? even on a well prepped surface???? MY dad uses it on his 02 GP GT, shines like hell but man, even at the point to where you almost can`t see BF when you apply it, smears like hell??? anyone want to aruge this or what????

Patrick
08-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Which product are you talking about, the polish or protectant ?

No arguement here, it does for a majority of people, you have to learn about that...and alter your application/removal method...I totally agree that it can and does do that, read above and you`ll learn how to make it work properly for you !!
Patrick We need to talk !! Im going to try to find my fail proof BF II directions.....

Deanski
08-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Smearfire, er Blackfire does smear as it has cleaner in it to "prep" the finish so it can bond. A known problem, hence the "smearfire" name.

If you polished the finish and then Dawn wash it, it should not smear as bad, but I`ve seen it still streak a bit.

This is why in the past I changed to Zaino product line as it did not smear (New Z5 can streak a bit-but a spray with Z7/water will resolve) as bad as BF did. Also Zaino keeps updating the line, produces a very nice wet look and protects very well. Look at my SC430 and you can see the results from Zaino.

Another poly product that has claners, but does not smear as bad is Megs #20. I have a sample waiting to test on a vehicle and will see how much they changed it. The only thing I see from the new #20 as opposed to old as the change from an older type of Naptha or other petro to a more up-to-date one to avoid some of the problems.

MPPP is also a wax/poly product with light cleaner in it, does a very nice job as it was designed for hand application. It does produce a very shiny apperance. It may have a little problem with #7 due to oils, but a quick Dawn wash resolved that. Used MPPP on a black Lexus RX300, and it looks very nice.

I mostly use a straight wax on blacks, such as Souveran as it really makes a black finish stand out. Maybe due to the silicones in it, but whatever, on black it is very deep.

Best advice is prep the snot out of the finish. It should look like a mirror with no visible swirls. Then wash it with Dawn, dry and look again. If it`s still very reflective, go and start your BF treatment using VERY THIN application.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Regards,

Deanski

tguil
08-10-2003, 11:20 AM
It took me about 1 hour to apply the Protectant to the whole truck using a PC and then by hand in the tight places. It took about 1 1/2 hour to get it off by hand. I used two MF towels and it`s looking good. There is a bit of haze in a couple of places. The temperature and humidity is creeping up. I may use a QD or else just let the first wash take care of it.

I really can`t tell if the shine/depth is any better with the Blackfire than it was with Meguiar`s MPPP. I think that time will be the true test. The MPPP lasted very well for almost three months without even one QD. It was a heck of a lot easier to use than Blackfire - - one step. I think also that I had a little less hazing with the MPPP, but I used it on a much cooler and less humid day.

I`ve been "detailing" for over 40 years using Blue Coral in the 60`s and 70`s and Mequiar`s products most of the time since then. Both Blackfire and MPPP far surpass anything that I have used in the past.

A final question. Is Blackfire prone to attracting dust? I think that I have read posts that state this. The MPPP attracted dust until the first wash. You will note in my signature I indicate that I drive on gravel roads daily. A dust magnet is NOT good!

Patrick
08-10-2003, 12:27 PM
A final question. Is Blackfire prone to attracting dust?

Sure does ! But thats eliminated for the most part with a layer of Carnauba....It is also less noticeable after the first wash...........

tguil
08-10-2003, 06:51 PM
I applied the Blackfire QD this afternoon. It took only about 15 minutes. Let the dust fly! I may be going back to MPPP. It did not attract dust after the first wash.