PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof MF cloths?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_carnut00
08-07-2003, 09:12 PM
All of my cloths are water proof! They arent drying the car properly because of this. Water just runs right off the side of them. How can I remove the wax/residue off these cloths?

chris0626
08-07-2003, 09:17 PM
Details, steez, we need more details. How are you washing them? No fabric softener, I hope! And how are you drying them? And ... last of all, `cause everybody expects me to ask: Have you tried the search engine to look for threads about washing MFs?? :D

rstype
08-07-2003, 10:11 PM
My PakShaks repel water ever since the day I`ve bought them. steez, what brand are yours?

medic159
08-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Wash them in hot water with liquid deteregent a few times. This should help.

imported_carnut00
08-07-2003, 10:22 PM
I wash them with dawn, and have washed them with regular detergent. no fabric softener. They are.. well.. waterproof. If a section of my car is wet, i run the cloth over the wet spot.. the water dribbles off and almost no water gets absorbed by the cloth. I have pakshaks (absorb water fine never been used) and old viper cloths. The vipers have been used in the past and now they are only good for buffing off wax. I cant even use quick detailer spray because it will leave watermarks/streaks because the excess product isnt absorbd

chris0626
08-07-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by steez

I have pakshaks (absorb water fine never been used)

????? I`m confused!!!!

I have pakshaks, MFTech, JTI, and Poorboys MFs. None of them have exhibited the deviant behavior you`re describing. :nixweiss

SickOfItAll
08-08-2003, 01:50 AM
Do they smell like wax/detailing products? They may simply be saturated with wax and whatnot...though how you`d get that out, I dunno.

shaf
08-08-2003, 03:16 AM
Yeah I think DFTowel and SickOfItAll have got the right idea. I`ve noticed some of my towels have been becoming less absorbent than when new. I`ve tried more aggressive and hotter methods of cleaing them, but haven`t tracked their improvement (if any) very well.

Some people have used some pretty strong stuff, such as near-boiling temperature water and degreaser solution to try and remove the wax or whatever is coating them. I say better to shorten the towel`s life, if it even does any harm, than to have nearly useless towels.

I used to notice in the past that some of my MF towels still smelled of some of the QDs I`ve used even after laundering. That should tell you something.....

everner
08-08-2003, 06:45 AM
Steez, As the others have said, I think your MF`s are just not clean. I have used full strength Simple Green, sprayed right on a dry, "Dirty" MF. I spray it on till the MF is wet, and let it soak. I also use Dawn to clean them. IMO, it is important to rinse them well. The one time I used my "Full Tilt" washing machine to wash them, I could smell soap on them, even though I used multible rinse cycles. I took the "Freshly Cleaned, by Machine" MF and layed it on the hood of my car. I blasted it with the hose. Suds formed right away. Now I clean MF`s by hand, with an outside rinse with the hose. I hang them inside to air dry. It works for me.

imported_CBX Carl
08-08-2003, 07:11 AM
I have used a long pre-soak of a few of my "lower" panel use MF and this has cleaned them extremely well. These guys are the dirtest of the bunch.

Maybe this would help a bit. I have use Dawn with hot water in a five gallon bucket ( Joint Compound Can ), give it a good mix and toss the MF in for a day or two. Nothing fancy and I have left them for a few days with no problem. When finish I rinse them with fresh water and then toss them in the washer, dawn, warm wash and rinse. I dry them in a gas dryer on low heat and then place them into Ziploc bag ready to go.

They drawl the water right up when used.

I just purchased Simply Green for another use and I will try it on some of the MF next time.

Idrops
08-08-2003, 07:22 AM
This is why I use Blue for Buffing, Green for Glass, and White for Wiping Water.

imported_carnut00
08-08-2003, 10:36 AM
Pic 1- my water proof mf

ran water over it. it absorbed not one drop!

imported_carnut00
08-08-2003, 10:40 AM
here is my brand new pakshak that absorbed the water fine

shaf
08-09-2003, 02:13 AM
Yeah I`ve seen some action like that on some areas of my MFs Steez. :( I washed some brand new MFs last month and in contrast they soaked up water and sank right in effortlessly.

Try some stronger laundering methods and pre-soak them for a while and tell us if things improve for you. :up

imported_carnut00
08-09-2003, 08:23 AM
I boiled them last night with a quarter bottle of dawn. Then ran to the laundry mat and washed with some more dawn. ill post my results