PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Not a healthy looking hood. *PICS*

Pages : [1] 2

P.NOiZE
08-07-2003, 07:56 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/p.noize/images/ramons_civic-08.07.2003-hood_damage-01.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/p.noize/images/ramons_civic-08.07.2003-hood_damage-02.jpg

Sorry I couldn`t take the best pictures, but this is what my brother`s hood looks like.

Near the front of the hood (bottom of picture) it looks like some minor stone chips. Near the center, I don`t know how those got there, but they just look like straight-line scratches. Some of them are deep, but some of them aren`t so deep. I can run my finger over them and not feel the scratch.

I was thinking of attacking it with some DACP and doing the usual (#9, #7, #26 and top it off with some S100).

I`m hoping to have access to a PC or a rotary sometime next week, so I would appreciate some suggestions on how to go about this with or without a machine. Thanks in advance!

ahunt01
08-07-2003, 08:06 PM
I`m thinking touch-up paint, or a new paint job. Maybe a machine would get it out though, I`ve got no experience with one.

DaGonz
08-07-2003, 08:30 PM
The "checking" is clear coat failure. Nothing can be done except for repainting.

jerry@robs
08-07-2003, 09:50 PM
i`m with Gonzo... well if you dont wanna paint it yet, it`s a good time to practice compounding a surface...

chip douglas
08-07-2003, 10:18 PM
I second what Gonzo mentioned about clear coat failure, as my girlfriend had the very same case on her car and obviously the only to go was for the car to be repainted.

Beest of luck to you buddy......... and like the veed said, it is indeed a good time to practice compounding a surface.

take care:)

Tim Lingor
08-07-2003, 10:21 PM
I agree with the above. It is clear coat failure. Nothing short of a repaint will help. Sorry!

Tim

shaf
08-08-2003, 02:58 AM
Hey, is this the same problem that some guy mentioned at REVscene and no one knew what the heck they were? :confused:

That is truly weird... never knew clearcoat could fail in that way! What causes this anyway?

Glossequation
08-08-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Gonzo0903

The "checking" is clear coat failure. Nothing can be done except for repainting.

I detailed a Lexus ES300 last weekend, and the paint still had gloss, but also had similar markings (even worse) on the hood and decklid. I felt bad, but I told the woman there was nothing that could be done except a repaint. The car was black, and the scratches and chips could be easily seen AND felt. That`s what 9 months of neglect will do...:(

imported_Aurora40
08-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by blackcaraddict

That`s what 9 months of neglect will do...:(

The clearcoat failed after 9 months? :eek:

imported_Dave Holmes
08-09-2003, 12:48 AM
Could someone tell me what is meant by "checking", and where it is at in the photos? To my untrained eye, I see minor/moderate scratches. I always thought clearcoat failure was when it peeled off in spots like my wife`s `88 Nissan pickup did.

Is clearcoat failure from a lack of maintenance, or is it a general defect in the paint?

Thanks for the education. I`m constantly learning on here.

Dave

Corey Bit Spank
08-09-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Aurora40

The clearcoat failed after 9 months? :eek:

Black Lexus (Lexi?) do not have clearcoat. I think Lexus believes it makes for a better black, I don`t know. p.noize, your hair looks spiffy. :p Sorry, that`s really off topic.

imported_Aurora40
08-09-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Corey Bit Spank

Black Lexus (Lexi?) do not have clearcoat.

Ok. The colorcoat failed after 9 months? :eek:

;)

P.NOiZE
08-09-2003, 09:00 PM
Damn.

Thanks for the reply`s. I pointed my brother to this thread :(. Oh well. We`ll try to make the car look as good as possible regardless of the hood then. We have to wait until next year for the repaint though :(.

And my hair is waaaaay too long right now. :)

Deanski
08-09-2003, 10:56 PM
This looks like a good canidate for Ro-Zilla! A good rotary with a wool pad and a cleaning compound will clean up some of the mess, follow with a cutting compound to level whatever can be leveled. Then, switch to your trusty PC if you have limited experience with rotary work, and a cutting pad with DACP to clean/polish it.

If you never used a rotary before, don`t try it with a wool pad as they heat up so fast it`s very easy to burn up a finish. You could try the foam cut pad with same compound and see results. Step to wool if nothing is getting better, but again, use caution. My best advise: Take it to several bodyshops to see what they can recommend and do for it. They use rotaries all the time.

I`ve removed several of these marks but it takes the rotary and wool pads + experience. Wrong combo of compound and speed mixed with wool = burnt finish. But someone trained can improve on it, possibly removing some, possibly all.

Almost looks like debris hit the finish, hard to tell in the pics.

Regards,

Deanski

Corey Bit Spank
08-11-2003, 05:00 PM
P.NOiZE, I just noticed you post on HAN. :D