PDA

View Full Version : EX-P on Rims?

Threadhead
08-27-2004, 09:36 AM
My 04 F-150 must have brake pads made of cardboard, becuase the rims are black with dust after only one driving trip. Plus, it`s a real pain to get off. They are the stock rims, aluminum w/clear coat.

I was hoping something to make the surface of the wheels a little slicker might make cleaning a little easier. Wax (like Natty`s or #26) was my first idea, but I thought sealant might work better.

Has anyone tried EX-P on rims?
Does it hold up to the heat and brake dust?

Ace Of Spades
08-27-2004, 10:03 AM
I use EX-P on rims all the time. It really does help with clean up as the brake dust sits on top of the sealant. Leaves a nice shine on the wheel too. In fact, I use EX-P on glass and plastic as well. It really is a versatile product. Only thing you have to watch out for on your wheels is using a harse cleaner on your tires. On really dirty tires, I use Megs APC+ at 4-1 dilution ratio. At that ratio, it will most definately strip sealant, so you gotta be careful. You may have to reapply the EX-P every 3-4 washes, but it only takes a few minutes.

Good luck!

membim
08-27-2004, 10:50 AM
Definitly use EX-P on your wheels. Treat your wheels like your paint and they`ll love you back!!!

Dalton
08-27-2004, 11:03 AM
I use it on my wheels, windows, plastic, head and tail lights. I use it everywhere. On the wheels it makes it very easy to remove brake dust. Try it. you will not be disappointed

Threadhead
08-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Well, I just went out and tried it. According to the instruction, I used a slightly damp applicator. Went on easy, but did not come off as easy as it does on paint. Had to add a little moisture (aka spit) to help it off. I guess my wheel coatings are alredy starting to etch from the wheel cleaners/brake dust. And it`s only 2mo old :(

norahcrv
08-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Karl,
I used EX-P on my wheels when the V was new, and now I just clean them w/ S&W - it only takes a few minutes. A real time-saver!
See you tomorrow?
Norah

PS - I notice more brake dust accumulates on the front wheels - is this normal?

Ace Of Spades
08-27-2004, 12:09 PM
More braking up front creates more brake dust.

Threadhead
08-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by norahcrv
Karl,
I used EX-P on my wheels when the V was new, and now I just clean them w/ S&W - it only takes a few minutes. A real time-saver!
See you tomorrow?
Yes, I`ll be there!

PS - I notice more brake dust accumulates on the front wheels - is this normal?
Yes. The front bakes provide about 60% of the braking, but my truck is one of the worst brake dust generators I`ve seen.

Lexus13
08-27-2004, 06:51 PM
If EXP is difficult to remove it could be that you have put it on too thick. I have it on my clearcoated wheels and it makes cleaning a breeze. Sealants work better than carnauba because they are more resistant to the heat.

Boss_429
08-27-2004, 07:00 PM
I agree. A good polymer will withstand the high temps of the wheels/brakes better than a carnauba wax. That means it will stay on the wheel surface longer, and should make removal of the brake dust much easier.

Horseman2475
08-28-2004, 02:33 PM
Just got Weld EVO Dagger 8s for my 2002 F-250 Superduty. Brought them home and put the boxes in my living room. Put a coat of EX-P on each of them, waited 24 hours and put a second coat on. Took them to be mounted. Naturally a little dirt and grease got on them. Wiped them down with a dry MF. Dirt and grease came right off. Plenty of bling!! You can see my truck on the customer rides at poorboys website. Have to send pics to Steve with the new wheels!!