PDA

View Full Version : Removing wheels for cleaning

Pages : [1] 2

rashenup
08-07-2003, 03:41 PM
Last week I picked up a used Audi S4, and one of the things this car has done is to take all of my free time. It`s made me go from someone who takes car of thier car to going down that road of being a nut about it =] Certianly no regrets here.

Anyways, I`m now moving on to cleaning up my wheels. They are in decent condition, but you can see all of the brake dust that has accumulated over the past couple of years on the inside of the wheel. What I`d like to do is to take the wheels completly off (as I`ve seen suggested here before) so that I can give them the nice deep clean that they deserve, and then top it off with some polish. Most likely some #20.

I don`t have a torque wrench at home or air compressor, so would it be safe to take them off by hand (not a big deal), and then to put them back on. I`m want to make sure that I`m able to get the wheels back on tight enough so that I don`t have a wheel loose when I`m driving. What do y`all think? Are there any suggestions for the whole process of removing and putting the wheels back on??

larry_bar56
08-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Well, if you are planning on doing any work at all on the car, then you should invest in a torque wrench. It doesn`t have to be a $400 Snap-On it can be an inexpensive one that you can find locally or look on e-bay. I picked up a set (1/2" and 3/8" drive) for less than $30 and they work great (chances are you`ll need both anyway). I have checked them against a friend`s Snap-On and they are well calibrated.

Second suggestion, get some Wheel Wax. I got mine at autogeek.net. I just tried it out last night and I really like the way it goes on. It wipes off easily and leaves a beautiful shine. Most users, I believe, have positive comments on it`s protection and durability too.

wilbanks
08-07-2003, 04:10 PM
Congrats on your new car! Although I use a torque wrench now I put wheels on for years by "feel" and never had a problem. When the wheels are off check for rust on the lugs and clean it off with a wire brush if there is any. While the wheels are off you may want to go over the brake calipers with some brake cleaner and/or a strong cleaner like EF Hi Intensity.

BTW blowing off wheels and brakes with compressed air is not a good idea since some brake pads contain asbestos. You don`t want to breathe that stuff.

Finally tighten the lug nuts with a fairly long 1/2" drive rachet or breaker bar. Your car manual should tell you the torque for the lug nuts. Most wheels should be torqued between 80 and 100 ft-lbs. You can get a Craftsman torque wrench for as little as $25, but you don`t absolutely need it. I am a bit of a nut about torquing bolts myself. I even torque the oil pan drain plug.

Hope this helps. :)

wilbanks
08-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Larry_Bar56 had some good thoughts I forgot. First try ebay, but remember if you get an old torque wrench you have to check it. An out of calibration wrench is worse than no wrench.

I use wheel wax and find it works great. It seems to have a lot of cleaner in it and takes off dirt other stuff doesn`t. Another avenue I have taken is to put Klasse AIO and SG on the wheels. It is quite durable and makes cleaning wheels a breeze. You will often be able to get by with cleaning the wheels with regular car wash. I am a believer in using the least aggressive cleaner that will do the job. Super strong wheel cleaners used regularly will eventually corrode your wheels.

larry_bar56
08-07-2003, 04:36 PM
Well, if there is anything that should be torqued, it`s the oil pan drain plug! :D You don`t want the screw that one up....literally!

spotter
08-07-2003, 04:37 PM
2nd the Klasse twins for wheels. Looks great, cleans up easily and this is one place where durability counts a ton.

rashenup
08-07-2003, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the input. I guess I was just thinking that any tourque wrench would be big $$$. No real reason for it, just seems like it`s a fancy tool that should cost a lot. So I guess I`ll be making a run out to the autoparts store/ sears/ someplace this weekend to see what I can find.

But 80 - 100 ft-lbs. That doesn`t seems like so much. I`m guessing that`ll be just about as tight as I can get it by hand. So now I`ll just have to see if I can be patient and wait for the weekend or if I just go ahead and clean the wheels up tonite.... such decisions.

The Wheel Wax sounds good too. I was going to order some stuff anyways, so I guess that will get thrown on the order =]

imported_CBX Carl
08-07-2003, 06:41 PM
Don`t forget to detail the calipers - paint - while your at it.

LouisanaJeeper
08-07-2003, 06:43 PM
Removing the wheels is not a big deal, one of the most basic things you can do. Just make sure you support the vehicle properly. Jack up in location on the uniframe specified in maual. Then the most importantly, SUPPORT THE VEHICLE WITH JACK STANDS, DO NOT TRUST A JACK TO SUPPORT THE CAR.

80-100 ft lbs is pretty tight, but it is not a problem with a torque wrench that is 16"+. Also, I would get a 1/2" drive one and buy a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter so you can use both socket sizes on the same wrench. You can find a decent one for $30.

larry_bar56
08-07-2003, 07:13 PM
You`d be surprised how little effort it takes to torque your lugs to 80 ft lbs with a 1/2" drive wrench. If you just used a breaker bar and put some muscle into it you would likely be way over spec.

Try sending some e-mail to Ed at this address:

Shoplakeland@aol.com

I bought my set of 2 torque wrenchs from him on e-bay and then he sold me another set for friend. If he still has them, he should be willing to sell them for about $30. That includes shipping!

Onehole
08-07-2003, 07:40 PM
I wouldn`t take the wheels off to clean them, unless its virtually impossible to clean them while on.....meaning the design is such that it makes access very hard.

With the right cleaners, sponges and brushes you should be able to clean them up, inisde and out pretty good. I clean my Boxster wheels inside and out everytime I wash the car.

The reason I don`t recommend taking the wheels off, is because of the risk of scratching them. When I took my fronts off, I took all the care in the world, had plastic coated sockets etc, and still scratched a rim.

Once its scratched, you have a problem. Sure they can be repaired, but the ones I have seen, look like they have been repaired.

I do concours events...so having things perfect is not desirable..its mandatory. Dirt I can remove from almost any where....wheel scratches...thats another issue.

Just my $0.02.

everner
08-07-2003, 08:03 PM
rashenup, Good idea to use a torque wrench, especially on wheels. If you don`t tighten them evenly, you run the risk of warping the rotors. Cleaning the wheel studs is a good idea, but resist the urge to put oil, or anything, on them. If you put anything on the studs, it will affect the torque value.

rashenup
08-07-2003, 08:34 PM
Well I managed to resist from doing much with my wheels tonite. I put another coat of wax on instead =]

rek - I hadn`t thought about the issues with not having them tighted evenly. I`m definately going to find a torque wrench somewhere. thanks for the heads-up.

JB - I had thought about the scratching issue briefly, but with my wheel design the bolts are all hiden behind a plastic cover. so a little scratch there isn`t a big deal. If my wheels didn`t have this, I probally would see what I could do without taking the wheels off. I don`t disagree with you at all, but given the covers, and the fact that the wheels already have some minor scratches in them, I`ll take the trade-off for being able to really get at all the junk on the insides.

On painting the calipers.... It`s something I want to do at some point. I really dislike the look of the dull factory "finish". But alas, it`ll be a project for another time. I still need to look further as to what brand of paint to get, and then decide on a color.

Thanks all for your input!

Blue-Sun
08-08-2003, 10:39 AM
:showpics

Let`s see that sweet S4!

drool!

Accumulator
08-08-2003, 11:11 AM
rashenup- Welcome to Autopia. Fellow Ohio Audi nut here. Yeah, get the torque wrench. 85 lb/ft IS pretty easy to do by feel (and it`s NOT very tight), but you really oughta torque them properly.

Make sure your in-trunk tool kit has the threaded plastic peg (black, maybe 4" long or so) that goes in your hub`s lug bolt hole to help guide the wheel back on. It`s a pain to reinstall the wheels without one.

I use the thick, last tooth of an "unbreakable" plastic comb (other teeth cut off) to pop the plastic hub covers off without scratching them. I would NOT use a screwdriver for this.

*I`D* use a floorjack with a rubber pad instead of the in-trunk jack. MUCH easier on the car`s jacking points (don`t want to chip `em down to bare metal and start the rusting process).

Remember to crack the lugs loose a little BEFORE jacking up the car.

The backsides of your wheels will probably be pretty awful. Have some kind of scrubber handy (TOL sells one, like a yellow Scotchbrite on a red handle), plenty of strong cleaner and some clay.

While you have them off, do your wheelwells properly. It`s more time, but it`s just SO much easier to do when the wheels are off. Again, they will probably be pretty awful in the spots that are normally inaccessible. Even just a cursory wash with some strong cleaner is better than nothing (dirt hold moisture). And once you jack the car up AND PUT JACKSTANDS UNDER IT!! it`s a good time to take a look at the undercarriage in general.