PDA

View Full Version : Does this process sound right???

98GTPDriva
08-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Before I found Autopia (few months ago), I`ve always used the #20/#26 combo on my Grand Prix and it`s still on the car as we speak, but in a few weeks, while I`m on vacation, I`m going to clean, polish and protect every inch of my car. I just want to make sure this process is a good one to use on the paint. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

dawn wash

clay bar (block)

DACP

#9 SMR

AIO

SG x 2

topper = ???

First, I will be doing all of this by hand, no money for a PC. Second, I already tried some DACP and #9 on a small roof area to see the difference in spider-web scratches and it was amazing the difference it made. My car has no swirls, just lots of spider-web scratches. But, all the spider-webs were not gone (as I knew I wouldn`t get them all), would adding another coat of DACP or #9 or both decrease the amount of spider-web scratches or would it be a waste? It`s a `98 too, but the paint is in excellent condition.

Also, since using the DACP, should I still use the AIO before SG, or can the SG be applied on top of the #9 since the paint will be nice and polished and free of contaminants?

Finally, after the SG, I want a good topper. I know #26 is good, and I like it very much, but is there anything that`ll last a little longer and give a better shine for around the same price. I know S100 is good, but not very durable. How`s UPP or EX hold up? Any input here is appreciated.

Thanks. I will have pics when this is all done too, so don`t worry. :D

LOTA OT
08-06-2003, 12:00 PM
If the first application of DACP doesn`t get all the swirls out, a second application will help. You may not need to use #9 after DACP, but that`s a judgement call.

I would definitely use AIO before the SG, it will provide a clean surface and insure a proper bond.

Michael

Accumulator
08-06-2003, 12:10 PM
What mpauly said:xyxthumbs Work the marring with the DACP until it`s OK by *YOUR* standards.

*I* like topping light colored daily drivers with Meg`s #16 paste wax. Can`t remember why (it`s been a LONG time) but *I* like it better than #26. Another paste worth considering is Collinite. Both are long lasting (ESPECIALLY the Collinite) and affordable.

imported_CBX Carl
08-06-2003, 06:10 PM
I would put some time between the two layers of SG even if I have to wash again before the second SG layer.