PDA

View Full Version : What Zaino stuff to order....

Pages : [1] 2

chaotik
08-06-2003, 09:13 AM
OK...I just bought my new baby ( Ford F250 Crew Cab Super Duty) . Its a dark Blue with a silver bottom edge.

I want to use Zaino on it because of all the great things I have heard about it on here.

I was just wondering what products I need to order from them.

I want to have as much protection on it as I can for thewinters here in Chicago arent very nice to paint jobs.

Also.....want to order the clear film you put on your paint to protect from chips, etc. Where is the best place to get it? Do they also sell bulk pieces that I can cut to fit my inner fender lips??

THANKS

SK2003TypeS
08-06-2003, 10:47 AM
Well, you can start with the Zkit that they sell online. I use the ZFX, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7, but not their claybar.

The clear film is the Xpel stuff. You can buy from them directly as well. They sell precut items as well as bulk. I think this would be a really good move if you`re dealing with Chicago winters.

Congrats on your new truck !!

chris0626
08-06-2003, 10:26 PM
But if you`re planning to make a Zaino order, don`t forget about some of their products beyond the paintwork products. Their Tire gloss is good for all the exterior rubber as well as tires. And the Glass Polish is super after claying and before Z2`ing the windows.

MooseyFate
08-07-2003, 10:56 AM
I`m new to detailing, and from things I read I thought Zaino sounded like the slickest thing to get. Then I found this article:

http://www.deckowski.com/wax%20off/greatwaxoffintro.htm

I decited not to go with Zaino because of the whole dust situation. My car resides in a dusty appartment garage, so that was a big contributing factor to my decision. I know Zaino has some anti static stuff, but my impression was that this only helps, doesn`t fix the problem.

That guys favorite method at the end of his test was very simular to the method in "the perfect shine" article on this (autopia.org) side, so I decited to go with it instead.

Hope that helps.

chris0626
08-07-2003, 08:04 PM
What "dust situation"??? and "difficulty of application??? I keep hearing this, but I still don`t understand it. I use Z2 with ZFX, with Z6 between coats. Apply all over the car. By the time I`ve gone all around the car applying it, it`s ready to be buffed off. What`s da problem? :nixweiss As for dust: My car lives outdoors 24/7/365. Never notice any difference in dust between Zaino and the S100 I use. More to the point, I just have not noticed dust to be a problem at all. But I do think I recall reading somebody say that you do need to use Zaino`s QD to take care of the perceived "dust problem."

Bumfuzzled in Mizzuri --

Lynn

LouisanaJeeper
08-07-2003, 08:33 PM
I would pass on the Z5, personally, and buy some more Z7 or Z6 instead. I would go with: ZFX, Z2, Z6, Z7

chris0626
08-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Doesn`t it depend, LouisianaJeeper? Chaotik, who started this thread, has a dark blue paint, and it sounds like the new Z5 really does help with dark colors. Don`t know what color paint MooseyFate is dealing with. :nixweiss

JustinR32
08-07-2003, 09:26 PM
I dunno about the site Mooseyfate refers to. IMO, that reviewer is not very unbiased at all; in his "product descriptions" he flat out states his reservations and biases! He seems more concerned about using language to manipulate opinion.

And, he takes a gratuitous pot shot at detailing forum posters, when in reality he has set himself up as an unassailable expert, with no one to counter his findings and claims. On a forum, opinions are tested by fire; if I write something stupid (I have), someone writes back (nicely), "that`s stupid" (they have). The collected knowledge from hundreds and thousands of users and experiences is far, far more valid than that of a single user, of unknown skill, trying a product a single time, under unknown conditions.

When I try a product, and write a review, I believe that it is more useful to the community of car care fanatics to post it alongside other reviews, so that the knowledge base grows. BUT, if I have a different agenda, perhaps, for example, one that may (or may not) involve a degree of self-aggrandisement, I might instead choose to set up a web site, upon which my findings would of course be accepted (by myself) as fact, and then published and promoted as such.

Just my $.02... well, maybe $.03 or $.04.

Tom

Brad B
08-07-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Lynn

What "dust situation"???

I agree. I have never seen my Zaino finishes as any type of dust magnets. Now carnaubas on the other hand....

F1Crazy
08-08-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Lynn

But if you`re planning to make a Zaino order, don`t forget about some of their products beyond the paintwork products. Their Tire gloss is good for all the exterior rubber as well as tires. And the Glass Polish is super after claying and before Z2`ing the windows.

Very good advice! Most people know and rave about Zaino paint protection but many other great products are rarely mentioned.

I`ve never used Tire Gloss but I trust Lynn`s judgment on this one. I liked Z-12 Glass Polish a lot and absolutey love Z-10 Leather in a Bottle conditioner, highly recommend it if you have finished leather seats.

My $0.02 on dust issue is that while it may be noticable after application it completely disappears after first wash and in no way is more excessive than with carnauba waxes.

Scott P
08-08-2003, 12:03 PM
I have sent the dust attracting properties myself on a couple of different vehicles. Both times, the vehicle was freshly coated, then driven. Once washed, the dust attraction tendencies disappeared.

I would recommend the Z kit with an additional bottle of Z-6. I would do two layers of Z-5 followed by a few layers of Z-2 with a quick once around with Z-6 in between. Because the truck is newer, you could go with one coat of Z-5. Be sure to read the Zaino Tips and Tricks thread for some good information for the Zaino user.

chaotik
08-08-2003, 11:58 PM
THANKS for all the advice on Zaino!! The truck is a Dark Metallic Blue.

I know most people on here rave about Zainos protection/shine and thats what I need here during Chicagos winters.....PROTECTION!!!

I will definately read the tips and tricks for Zaino products on their site. I figured everyone would have their own personal preferences with the Zaino line...so now I am a little confused on what to get...Dont want to get something that will not benefit me...when the money could be spent to get more of another Zaino product that will make a difference!!

I do appreciate hearing everyones opinions though!!

JasonC8301
08-09-2003, 12:32 AM
I personally like wait.......love the Zaino line. I use it when I have the time to pamper a car (takes me an hour, maybe an hour and a half more if I use Zaino compared to Klasse.) I am using Zaino with ZFX for initial treatments, but lately I use Z1 instead of ZFX (I have a kit that was used once, and my used kit is out to Jngrbrdman for testing.)

The clay is expensive at $16.95 a can, but it performs really well, good alternatives are Clay Magic and Mothers.

For side glass and the rear glass (I never polish windshields) I love to clay (windshield too), then Z12 glass polish (no more windshields for me), then apply some Z2 (no Z1 or ZFX added.) This makes the side windows bead and makes the water roll off at speed, really nice affect.

The Z14 is a nice clear plastic polish but it is kinda mild and involves a lot of rubbing.

The Z9/Z10 leather product I have and will try out soon.

Z2/Z5 are both good products, I find both of them offer different looks. Z2 as stated is shinier than Z5 but has less depth. Z5 lacks some shine but has more depth/wettness look to it.

Z6/Z7 are both indespensible. I love the suds Z7 greats (use 3 capfuls per 2 1/2 gallons water) and the Z6 smell great and produces a nice shine, I use it on glass and chrome when I QD.

I did a BMW last year with Zaino, when I touched it a year later (July-July) it was only washed once with Z7 two weeks prior to my touching it, the owner was happy about how the winters grime washed right off (the car is garaged so a year is about right for Zaino for a garaged car that sees about 10K, YMMV.) I am pretty sure Zaino will last through a Chicago winter.

As for the dust situation, I haven`t noticed it attract more dust, but actually repel dust on the garaged corolla I work on. I applied Z5 with ZFX X 2 and then it was driven for less than 50 miles that week, but sat out in a parking lot for 10 hours out of the day then garaged at night. I could go gotten by with Z6 QD`ing the surface but I Z7 washed it and applied more Zaino. Sweet!

A good kit is their show car kit but I don`t like the clay.

Go to Wal-mart and get some Mother`s clay for $13.84 or so. Order Zaino Z2/Z5/Z6/Z7/ZFX. I am not sure if you`re Ford 250 has leather so no comment on Zaino leather products. Z12/Z14 are both good products, try them if you want, but optional. I like Z16 a little goes a long way and they produce a nice satin sheen on tires. Doesn`t last terribly long (2 rain showers or a weeks drive of 400 miles.) z18 clay, expensive there are good alternatives as stated above.

If you wash and Qd often, get extra bottles of Z6 and Z7. I am on my 3rd bottle of Z7.....

EDIT: as stated above, Xpel by 3M or Scotchcal film, another popular one is Armor Glove.

chaotik
08-09-2003, 06:13 PM
THANKS for your insight Jason!!

My truck does have charcoal leather ...full power captains chairs in the front and a bench in the back

MooseyFate
08-20-2003, 01:38 PM
I wish I knew about the dust problem not being a problem after the first wash. Might very well have changed my mind. Wait, scratch that, I would have stupidly spent another week debating which method to use.

Someone mentioned something about that guy (in article I mentioned above) being biased, but I think he was biased in favor of Zaino before the test. And he did say it shined the best, but only a tiny bit better than the other method. He said it takes longer (which JasonC8301 confirmed). And that it attracts more dust. Now he probably didn`t know about the fact that the problem is less/gone after the first wash. I do think it`s funny tough that on the Zaino site, they have a product that helps with dust (FX I think?) - so Mr. Zaino addresses the problem himself, but I wonder why he doesn`t mention the "wash your car once" cure... seems like that would be useful information.

I have a black car, but like I mentioned before, I`m new to this and have never actually used Zaino myself. I just thought chaotik was in the same boat as myself, so I`d share my research. The reason I went with the non-zaino method was because that random dudes test came to the same conclusion as the autopia "Perfect Shine" article.

I`m really happy with the Perfect Shine kit (and autopia Clay kit, which seemed good), but I`m sure I`d also have been happy with the Zaino stuff. And to my surprise, most of the dust that falls on my car from my old ultra-dusty appartment garage actually seems to come off in the wind.