PDA

View Full Version : Best APpicators for Swirl Removal Products?

brc888
08-05-2003, 03:28 PM
hi all- newbie to this forum- but was wondering what the best type of applicator w/b for Meguiars fine (2)and medium cut (1)cleaners? altho the meguiars site says that these are used for rotary buffers only- i`ve been told that they can also be applied by hand.

i`ve got all kinds of swirl marks and deeper nicks in the black paint of my 2001 Lexus is300.

thanks!

HilfigerCelica
08-05-2003, 03:29 PM
The most effective way to get rid of swirls is with a rotary or PC.

brc888
08-05-2003, 03:30 PM
what`s a PC?

HilfigerCelica
08-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Porter Cable orbital buffer.

Jake11375
08-05-2003, 04:05 PM
What`s up BRC and :welcome to Autopia,

Best applicator for swirl removal.. I`ve never actually removed swirls by hand only with my PC 7336. However, when I do compounding for scratches, or sanding marks, I use a padded 100% cotton terrycloth applicator. (rectangular in shape) This works fine for me and does not introduce any swirls. Maybe someone with more experience removing swirls by hand can chime in...:nixweiss

Accumulator
08-06-2003, 11:29 AM
Plenty of people use terry cloth (100% cotton) applicators for aggressive removal of swirls/scratches/etc. by hand. I`ve also had good results using MF`s, yellow sponge (wax) applicators, you name it. I haven`t tried the Meg`s products under discussion, but I`ve had good results with the 3M equivalents (are they?).

Nick T. did a good hand-use applicator comparison that`s worth searching for. As I recall, he decided that EVERYTHING he tried (all "good", commonly accepted applicators, cotton, foam, MF, etc.) worked fine.

brc888
08-06-2003, 11:47 AM
ok thanks guys! one more question- if i am using the manual technique, should i only be doing it in a back and forth motion then? i`ve been told to avoid the circular motion, since this is what we want to remove from the clear coat.

is this correct?

thanks all!

Jake11375
08-06-2003, 01:08 PM
The back and forth motion is just a safety measure to avoid introducing swirls that are circular in appearance. If you happen to create marring using the b&f motion, it will be much less noticeable because it is in the direction of the aerodynamics of the car. It is not marring or scratch proof by all means.