PDA

View Full Version : which pads for a rookie....6" or 7.5 "???

fonseca_323i
08-05-2003, 12:07 PM
i will be using a pc for the first time very shortly. my question is what size pads do you recommend for me since i will be new at this. thanks

Vadar
08-05-2003, 03:45 PM
I bought the 7.5 inch pads from TOL (6 for $45). Bought 2 yellow, 3 white, 1 grey. Works great.

Dom

russ968
08-05-2003, 05:24 PM
Welcome Fonesca:welcome

I recommend the orange pads from CMA or Griot`s unless you have some serious cutting/compounding to do.

I`m not a particularly experienced PC user and the results here were pretty good.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=26623

Good luck,

Russ

Accumulator
08-06-2003, 11:39 AM
fonseca_323i - You`re gonna get some differing responses to this one. The 7.5" pads DO vibrate a bit more, especially at speed 6. Some of us don`t mind a bit. You won`t know until you try them. I myself find the larger pads easier to use (and I like using the protruding edges for tight areas). It`s NOT like you`re more likely to "mess up" with one or the other.

Like russ968, I like the Griot`s 6.0" orange pads (I often use them instead of CMA white), but with clearcoats you`re often gonna want something more aggressive. So have a yellow cutting pad or two on hand, lest you spend forever with marginal results (I`d get the 7.5"). Have some CMA white (either 7.5" or 6")/Griot`s orange for a follow-up. Griot`s red "waxing pad" is similar to CMA`s gray finishing pad. The gray is a BIT softer, but it`s not gonna make any difference and the Griot`s lasts longer (in my experience).

Note that while I said "CMA," you can get them at TOL cheaper.

gnahc79
08-06-2003, 12:46 PM
6" is plenty, I got the DAP-KIT from CMA a while back and like it. I want to get some 4" pads and backing plate for those smaller area scratches and swirls. More toys :).