PDA

View Full Version : My first Rotary Expierence

wizardofahs
08-03-2003, 01:10 PM
I`m in the middle of doing my first car with the rotary (don`t worry it`s my bro`s fiance`s beater) and i`ve already made some observations I think i`ll put here for others to read.

First off the first thing I noticed was that the rotary has power... i haven`t even gotten over 1000 rpms yet (Which seems like plenty to work the products in), but that rotary will get away from you if your not paying attention. Since it doesn`t have that little stopping function that the PC has, if this thing catches a surface it will pull. If you lose controll it will start moving all over the place without you telling it to.

I haven`t quite figured out how to prevent this, but I have some ideas... the first is when controlling it, I found it was better to move it around with the handle, rather than the trigger. ie i have my right hand on the trigger and left on the handle above the pad, if i use my left to controll it and push it around I have much better controll.

It also seems to help to put the pad at different angles. I still have some playing around to do with this, but it seems just by tilting the pad slightly you can let it pull itself along in a nice smooth continous motion so you don`t even have to worry about it. My guess is that once you figure it out you can get the pad to move whichever way you want in this method.

Because of how easy it is to lose controll, I HIGHLY recomend masking the trim. Especially the first few times, and especially if your using a trim staining product like DACP or Menzerna IP.

It`s also good to keep the pad moist to spread the product, but too much mosture causes a huge mess that splatters product all over the place.

If there is a wierd angle or something on the surface where product is deposited, don`t go back and work in those deposits untill they are gone. It takes a lot of effort and you really risk burning the paint. I just leave the few spots and when i`m done spray it with a qd and wipe the residue off safely.

You definatly don`t have to spend as much time buffing with the rotary.... just a few passes and the products are ground down into nothing. No more having to spray QD and wipe with an MF... you could get rid of the residue with a Cali Duster.

Well that`s about it for now... again this is my first time so don`t take any of this as rules you have to follow.... i`m probably doing quite a bit wrong still. These are just my observations I thought i`d share.

shaf
08-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Thank you for sharing this Dr.Jones. :xyxthumbs I`m not contemplating rotary usage any time soon, but I found this very interesting and descriptive all the same.

JasonC8301
08-03-2003, 07:30 PM
Welcome to the rotary world Dr. Jones :up

Nice sum up of your rotary experience. I experienced something almost the same.

Finding the right amount of product to apply to the pad is a in exact science, in a perfect world there will be just enough polish on the pad to polish, but prevent splattering, or run the risk of a dry pad. I am still on the hunt for this perfect amount of product, the product sling is evident on my apron.

Keep it up the great work,

Jason

jerry@robs
08-03-2003, 09:43 PM
Try posting this in the Rotary Usage sticky thread... :)

Try spreading the product thoroughly before spinning the buffer... Splatters usually occur when the product is placed (or transferred) to the edge of the pad... if it`s near the center, it won`t have the chance to splatter