PDA

View Full Version : Hi Polished Aluminum

Pages : [1] 2

cheetoh
08-03-2003, 12:04 PM
What is the best way to polish Hi Polished Aluminum Parts without scratching the finish? How do you get scratches out? :eek:

MidnightHour
08-03-2003, 12:28 PM
I would like to know this as well!

forrest@mothers
08-03-2003, 12:53 PM
For starters, you need a metal polish with an extremely fine polishing media in it.

Then, a good quality microfiber towel.

Lots of folks have their favorite brands. I use our Mothers Billet Metal Polish and a MF towel.

Highly polished aluminum, like billet wheels and trim, are mar free with a program like this.

schoi
08-03-2003, 03:49 PM
Bah... I actually have scratches / swirls in one of my rims. Glad I saw this - reminded me of needing to do some polishing next time.

And Forrest, you are a helpful guy. I can see why lots of people here like you.

(edit - reworded because of censor :o )

everner
08-03-2003, 04:31 PM
I haven`t tried Mothers Billet Metal Polish, to say that Simichrome Polish is better. Back in my "Harley daze", I used Simichrome Polish to keep the aluminum parts looking like chrome.

russ968
08-03-2003, 05:12 PM
I`d also try Wenol. For occasional cleanup I also use Nvr-dul which a wadding type metal cleaner with no abrasives. 100% cotton towels or MF in both cases of course. Be careful with the black residue from both these cleaners as they will stain and then are difficult to get out.

Pats300zx
08-03-2003, 06:34 PM
I haven`t tried Mothers Billet Metal Polish, to say that Simichrome Polish is better. Back in my "Harley daze", I used Simichrome Polish to keep the aluminum parts looking like chrome

I really love Mothers Billet but after trying Simi-Chrome I think they are neck and neck. Both leave my polished metal looking great.

I have yet to try Wenol but have heard great things about it.

jerry@robs
08-03-2003, 09:45 PM
Me too... I use Mother`s Billet or EO Billet for "fine" finishes

rleven
08-05-2003, 08:53 AM
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26552

chris0626
08-06-2003, 12:41 AM
What`s the difference between Mother`s Billet polish & Mother`s Mag/Aluminum Polish? I`ve used the Mag/Alum polish and found it very gentle -- great for adding a shine, but really didn`t do much if I needed to clean AND shine.

Pats300zx
08-06-2003, 05:34 AM
Mothersâ„¢ Billet Metal Polish combines state-of-the-art cleaners with a cutting edge formulation, resulting in unmatched performance at any price. This powerful polish is gentle on your most delicate and intricate polishable metal surfaces.

Lynn,

I find that Mothers Billet is definitely better than their regular Alum polish. I am not sure if it has more cleaners etc but it does shine the metal alot better. Its a little more pricey but worth it.

http://store6.yimg.com/I/bike-depot_1746_2447677

forrest@mothers
08-06-2003, 08:23 AM
Lynn - I`ll bring both to Brad`s, and you can see the difference.

On flawless aluminum, using our regular polish, you can see the scratch pattern where it was rubbed. With Billet Polish, you don`t see the scratch pattern.

Also, a 100% cotton towel will make the scratch pattern worse, which is why I suggest MF. Of course, your metal needs to be really fine to notice the difference.

russ - BTW, Nev`r-Dull is a non-abrasive product. But, it`s a mineral spirits based cleaner, not a polish. It`s fine for rubbing off surface dirt, but it won`t polish up oxidized metal or remove scratches, fyi.

schoi
08-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Forrest, why is it that your billet polish originally had to be made by hand, in small amounts, and at very high prices? What`s so special?

russ968
08-06-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by forrest

russ - BTW, Nev`r-Dull is a non-abrasive product. But, it`s a mineral spirits based cleaner, not a polish. It`s fine for rubbing off surface dirt, but it won`t polish up oxidized metal or remove scratches, fyi.

Forrest, you`re absolutely correct. When I got these parts to a point where I liked their finish I use Nev`r-Dull on them to keep them clean in an attempt to not apply any additional scratches. Could I use your product to improve a few spots and remove the occasional microabrasion without adding more scratches?

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/11555intakebefore1.jpg

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/11555intakeafter1.jpg

Thanks,

Russ

Jake11375
08-06-2003, 03:03 PM
Hey Russ,

Did you acheive those results by just polishing. If so that`s amazing! Looks like they`ve been plated. What products, method, machine (if any) did you use? Looks great!:xyxthumbs