PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s #3 or #7?

JustinR32
08-01-2003, 06:36 PM
What`s the diff? The product descriptions use almost the same words, but in different order, to describe the product; it`s as if one was cribbed from the other!

So, I`ve used #7, but what makes #3 different? What is the difference in how it is worked, how it looks, and what you can use with (on top of) it?

TOm

Spilchy
08-01-2003, 06:51 PM
If you do a search, you`ll find a post from Mike Phillips of Meguiars that explains in detail the differences of #3, #5, #7, Hand Polish etc...

It`s excellent nd should more than answer your questions. It may be in the hall of fame forum. If not there, do a search.

I use #3 routinely with a grey finishing pad on my PC. It rocks!

Why not do a side to side comparison? The #7 has more oils in it and is good for single stage paint since the formula hasn`t changed in like 50 years. The #3 is easier to work with. I use a cotton towel followed up by an MF for final removal.

EDIT:

Ah ha! I found it! Here you go! Click Here! (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23608)

JustinR32
08-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Thanks, Spilchy. I was having trouble getting either too many responses or none. I refined my terms another time and found the answer.

Tom

Pats300zx
08-01-2003, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE]. I use a cotton towel followed up by an MF for final removal. QUOTE].

After reading Mike Phillips article, I found that this is the best way to remove #7.

JustinR32
08-01-2003, 10:17 PM
I`ve spent the last month learning the Meg`s products, and I think that it`s the secret to the entire Meguiar`s line!

They are fascinating products. If I were to recommend anything to a beginner, it would be, "learn how to use Meguiar`s". Instruction needs structure. Knowing this line should be baseline for any serious Autopian. From there, you can learn everything else, and have a reference point. I`m not saying that they are the best, I don`t know that; I`m saying that they should be the base of common knowledge that we can always refer to.

Then, learn 3M.

Then proceed into the deep waters!

`Course, nobody, me included, can keep from jumping ahead. But there is a lot of subtlety in the basics, believe it or not.

Tom

Scottwax
08-01-2003, 11:00 PM
I prefer #3 and #81 (Hand Polish) since both go on and off easier and leave a very wet shine.