PDA

View Full Version : circular motions + swirls?

imported_NHBFAN
08-01-2003, 05:13 PM
Many products including Zaino recommend applying with circular motions (by hand). I always thought that was one of the main causes of swirls.

I`ve used a few products on my truck and never used a circular motion ... no swirls yet.

imported_Infamous
08-01-2003, 08:05 PM
Dirt/dust and certain fibers cause swirls. Dont apply alot of pressure also when doing detailing stuff to your car. People say to go in the direction of the wind because if you do scratch its harder to see since its at 90 degree angle and in one direction.

shaf
08-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Yeah, the unidirectional method is a "just in case" measure. :up

BTW, it`s in the direction of the wind for the horizontal surfaces, and up and down for the vertical surfaces.

imported_NHBFAN
08-01-2003, 09:21 PM
4DSC,

That`s what Zaino recommend after circular motions ... back and forth for horizontal surfaces and up and down for vertical surfaces.

What`s the logic of this method?

shaf
08-01-2003, 09:33 PM
I couldn`t find a better thread, so here`s a quote from it (I wrote this :o):
One day I just spent several minutes staring at my car`s vertical and horizontal surfaces in the sun and seeing if the sun`s reflection highlighted up and down or side to side microscratches. I found at most "natural" angles the most visible swirls ran opposite to the recommended waxing direction, so I believe it. Basically the way the sun light reflects off the microscratches is more visible when you go opposite to Sal`s suggestion. I don`t know the physics behind it, but it`s true - go and try it someday. :)

imported_NHBFAN
08-02-2003, 08:34 PM
Is this pattern only applicable to Zaino, or do you use it with other products?

imported_Jinx1309
08-02-2003, 09:24 PM
NHBFAN, I have used that pattern with #26,#7, and UPP with good results.

shaf
08-03-2003, 02:55 AM
Since this has to do with minute, microscopic SCRATCHES reflecting light, it has nothing to do with Zaino at all - it`s a general tip applicable to any and every time you ever touch your paint.

That said however, I don`t have the discipline to always adhere to these rules. :p

Chris2pher
08-03-2003, 07:48 AM
Jinx1309

NHBFAN, I have used that pattern with #26,#7, and UPP with good results.

Before I came to autopia, I did the Karate Kid wax on and wax off circular motion method. Since coming to autopia, I have been doing the back and forth motion with everything (waxing, washing,QD). I learned so much in this community, thank you Autopia.

Jinx 1309. Are you doing #27, #7, UPP in the order you wrote it? I thought you have to apply #7 first since its a glaze and filler, then #27 and a topper ( I usually used S100). I also like the results with this combo.

Accumulator
08-03-2003, 12:03 PM
I posted my $0.02 (and then some) on the whole direction-of-movement and swirls issue on a current thread on the Detailing forum that refers to "spiderwebbing". Short version: NO, it`s not the direction you move the pad/towel/etc. that causes the actual problem. It might make the problem more noticeable, and front-back *IS* thus safer, but the PROBLEM is marring, in any direction. Random orbitals don`t (only) move front to back...

shaf
08-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I posted my $0.02 (and then some) on the whole direction-of-movement and swirls issue on a current thread on the Detailing forum that refers to "spiderwebbing". Short version: NO, it`s not the direction you move the pad/towel/etc. that causes the actual problem. It might make the problem more noticeable, and front-back *IS* thus safer, but the PROBLEM is marring, in any direction. Random orbitals don`t (only) move front to back... I agree. :up Like I said, it`s only a "just in case your stuff isn`t as clean or gentle as it should be" thing. I think in practice not everyone can do this 100% of the time with everything and still stay sane. :p

imported_Jinx1309
08-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Chris2pher, I just ment that I have used those products with the back and forth motions. As you said you would apply the #7 prior to the #26. I currently have several layers of UPP topped with #26 without any #7.