PDA

View Full Version : Hard water

Guy
08-01-2003, 04:14 PM
We moved to a rental in another town while our house is being built. The water is very hard and leaves spots no matter what I seem to do. We won`t be there long enough to get a softener. Any ideas?

ageorge56
08-01-2003, 07:04 PM
I just moved to TX last month, and I`m in the same boat. The water isn`t "hard", it`s doesn`t have a lot of calcium in it, but the city water is treated with potassium chloride, and lot`s of it.

I`m interested in how to go about dealing with this. The water dries so quickly here, it`s almost impossible to avoid water spots.

everner
08-01-2003, 07:28 PM
Guys, I think one way to deal with the funky water, is to filter out the funk. At a DIY type place, a whole house, water filter, with replaceable, filtering cartridges, can be purchased. A rust and sediment filter would clean up the water a bit. Just plumb it to go on the outside faucet(screw on- with short piece of hose), and connect the wash/rinse hose to the out port.

Dave N
08-01-2003, 08:05 PM
I tried a couple of different whole-house type filters without any success.

Now I use a 2-gallon pump-up garden type sprayer with distilled water as a final rinse. One gallon of distilled water will rinse my whole truck, and it`s good for getting the hard water out of the crevices. My sprayer has a plastic tip, so there`s less chance of scratching the paint. Plus, it`s made in USA!