PDA

View Full Version : Question on 303 Protectant

honda2112
07-31-2003, 11:03 AM
I started using this after reading it was good stuff on this board.

My problem is when using it on the rubber trim around the outside of the windows and my black plastic mirror housings.

I put it on with a wax applicator pad, let it sit for a while, then wipe it down with a clean towel. The problem is after a rain storm you can see it all streaked down the side of my truck. What am I doing wrong??

biff
07-31-2003, 11:15 AM
According to the manufacturer, you have to really buff the hell out of 303 to prevent it streaking on exteriors. Almost to the point of trying to remove all of the product by rubbing.

I don`t use it on exteriors becasue of this and $$$.

I`m getting ready to try watering down some MeGuiars #40 to get a more matte finish. (anyone have tips on what ratio to dilute it to?)

jlfrogy
07-31-2003, 11:30 AM
Now I know why that is happening. Thank you.

chris0626
07-31-2003, 10:05 PM
Just one word for exterior rubber: Gummipflege! Autopia sells the Einszett version; some BMW dealers also carry a BMW-branded version. Or check out a recent thread by Accumulator, who has had better experience with Wurth`s rubber-care product. LIke Biff said, 303 really isn`t going to do much for you on the exterior.

honda2112
08-02-2003, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I will have to find something else for the exterior.

everner
08-02-2003, 09:49 AM
Biff, I put 40 on straight(non-diluted) and let it soak in(30 minutes minimum) then wipe it till I have the desired effect. More wipe, more matte finish. I clean the rubber first, then apply the "juice". I don`t use the "juice" as a cleaner, I use it as a "dressing". It works for me...

jaim
08-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Just to share my experience on 303 for exterior plastic trims.

I noticed that 303 bond to different plastics differently. For hard plastic gloss trim (Example: Door Knobs, Bumbers), it does not bond that much as compared to soft plastic matte trim (Example Window Trims).

I also tried using 303 for my tires and it easily get strip when it rains.. I just do not know if my tires was not that clean enough that affected on how 303 bonds to my tires.

For interior use, I have no problems with 303 so far.... I really how 303 provides the gloss on my vinyl and leather. I also observed that dust do not stick that much on a 303 coated surface.