PDA

View Full Version : New porter cable just arrived

JPS911
07-30-2003, 01:33 PM
I have been looking at the links and such, but now that I have it and turned it on...am I smoking crack, or would I really have to be an idiot to do damage to my car with this? Short of leaving it in the same place for 20 min or attaching sandpaper to it with superglue as the glaze, this doesn`t seem like it could hurt clear coat? Thoughts?

JasonC8301
07-30-2003, 01:38 PM
Yes, to damage paint with the PC, you would have to be one of the people who defy Darwin logic.

A PC with adhesive backing and 120 grit sandpaper will do a lot of damage. But who will do this????

PC = a great tool with the right products and pads that will surely make a good finish, better.

Jason

Sharkie
07-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Just use common sense. It`s pretty much idiot proof but that doesn`t give you carte blanch to grind on corners and bounce it off the mirrors. Your technique will improve over time but my first go around, as I`m sure your`s will, produced a great result. :xyxthumbs enjoy it, the PC rocks.

Adam

Stl_GT
07-31-2003, 03:51 PM
I took the hands on learning approach. Brad B was kind enough to have me over to go over the ins and outs of using the PC. I am sure there is an autopian in your area with a PC, just ask to come over and check it out.

It`s a great piece of detailing equipment, I couldn`t wipe the smile off my face when I saw what it could do, even on a car with 2 month old paint.

:bow

JPS911
07-31-2003, 04:01 PM
Well, with that piece of advice...anyone in San Francisco?

JimS
07-31-2003, 04:52 PM
It`s as easy as it seems. Slow speed to start, light pressure, mild product.

Don`t sweat it.......JUST DO IT!!

Stl_GT
07-31-2003, 04:53 PM
You might start a new thread or might try PM`ing DavidB. He`s in California and being the founder I am sure knows some folks in your area or could atleast point in the right direction.

Hey Jim, man it is easy once you get after it. But I`ll speak for myself, seeing it in person helped ten fold. Plus, I got to learn some technique as well.

shaf
07-31-2003, 08:35 PM
One nice thing about the PC is that it has a relatively low learning curve and is quite safe to use - perfect for beginners and weekend detailers like most of us. I say just jump in and start polishing.

Here is one thread that I remember had some general usage: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25884&highlight=minutes+section

Also check out the link in my sig. At the top and bottom of that post are links to Steve`s articles over at Roadfly - great reading. :up

Happy polishing. :D

Deanski
07-31-2003, 09:27 PM
Here is a link which outlines the use and actions of a PC. This is by far the best information you`ll find! Very informative! Steve really shows all in this link!

Porter-Cable definitive Guide (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1)

Another link worth looking at: Detailer`s Dream (http://www.roadfly.org/milemarker/7/porter_cable_buffer.1.html)

Review these links and all info as they will cover all there is to know on the PC.

Thanks to Steve on the excelent and detailed review!!!

Regards,

Deanski

chris0626
07-31-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by JPS911

Are you watching this thread about organizing a Bay Area Autopia get-together? http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26139 Looks like this might give you some good leads.

Sharkie
08-01-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by JPS911

I`m just across the bridge in Sausalito. I`d be more than happy to meet up with you and show you what I know. I have lots of products and a spare 6†counterweight if your`s came with a 5â€.

Where was that auto-x cross that you use for your avatar, Treasure Island?

Anyways, if you are interested you can PM me or e-mail me @ adam@mansir.net

Adam

P.S. Here`s a pic of my buddy`s `92 911 (http://home.comcast.net/~amansir1/911.jpg) we were working on a few weeks ago

russ968
08-01-2003, 11:22 AM
JPS911,

I`m just down the peninsula from you so if you`re up for some detailing I`ve used a PC for a few years now and would be happy plan a get together. If you have some time my Porsche, `94 Guards Red 968, will be in the PCA event at Carlsen Porsche in Redwood City on Sunday.

I`d recommend you consider 3M PI-III MG to do your light swirl/microabraison removal. It was suggested to me here and I was pleased with the results.

On using the PC I like the orange pads for everything short of serious swirl/scratch removal and find using a little more pressure in the first few passes helpful.

Good luck,:xyxthumbs

Russ

JPS911
08-04-2003, 02:27 PM
I meant to make it down to the Carlsen event, but just didn`t get there...I was autocrossing Sat and had to do some clean up Sun...I can`t handle the car getting dirty, and it looks like I nicked a cone (I usually run pretty clean), so time to buff out a little spot.