PDA

View Full Version : Help me prep my new tires

BoxsterCharlie
07-29-2003, 06:02 PM
I`ve never had a set of brand-new tires since being an Autopian, I`m wondering what you guys do.

My current favorite tire dressing is Meguiars Endurance, or maybe 303 in a pinch, but that`s beside the point.

Right now my tires have lots of chalky mold release on them, some red dots, etc.

I`m thinking about this:

-scrub with a stiff brush and 100% Simple Green

-finish with 303 and never use Endurance again (emphasis on keeping the tires UV protected rather than shiny)

What do you think?

imported_CBX Carl
07-29-2003, 06:29 PM
I would pull the wheels if possible and clean the entire tire/rim inside and out. Following the simple green and a good rinse I would AIO/SG the rim then saturate a small sponge with 303 to detail the tires. I did the 303 twice recently when I pulled my Truck wheels for the first time, permitted the first 303 app to sit 30 minutes and applied it again and put the tires back on. I have applied both Meguiars Endurance and TurtleWax Tire Wax as a topper to the 303 and like both- Wife love`s the fruity smell.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/1384supercrew_-_s100_-_side3.jpg

imported_jgv
07-29-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by BoxsterCharlie

I`ve never had a set of brand-new tires since being an Autopian, I`m wondering what you guys do.

My current favorite tire dressing is Meguiars Endurance, or maybe 303 in a pinch, but that`s beside the point.

Right now my tires have lots of chalky mold release on them, some red dots, etc.

I`m thinking about this:

-scrub with a stiff brush and 100% Simple Green

-finish with 303 and never use Endurance again (emphasis on keeping the tires UV protected rather than shiny)

What do you think?

Just clean them with a diluted APC and a soft brush to remove that chalky mold release and dress them. I think it`s time for you to buy 1Z GummyPfledge, it dresses and protects rubber better than any other.

BoxsterCharlie
07-30-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Lost Pup

I did the 303 twice recently when I pulled my Truck wheels for the first time, permitted the first 303 app to sit 30 minutes and applied it again and put the tires back on. I have applied both Meguiars Endurance and TurtleWax Tire Wax as a topper to the 303 and like both- Wife love`s the fruity smell.

I really like the idea of using a topper on 303. Hadn`t thought of that. Your tires look spectacular, by the way. Just exactly the right amount of gloss.

JGV, I`ve got some BWM gumifledge (for rubber seals). I`ll have to give that a try, too. :xyxthumbs

SickOfItAll
07-30-2003, 12:47 PM
When I think of prepping tires, I usually think of heat cycling...

Bill D
07-30-2003, 02:39 PM
The topper idea over the 303 seems brilliant. :up But,will any potentially damaging ingredients in the topper products be blocked by the 303 underneath? If so, maybe I`ll use up my remaining MSLT by doing this. Please let us know about the topper. :)

Thanks,

Bill

DCT
08-02-2003, 11:46 AM
Lost Pup,

Your tires, wheels, and truck look immaculate! Love that color! I`m also going to try topping the 303 with a gel, as that`s the look I like on tires too!

Great job!

JoshABI
08-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Did the same thing with my brother`s new Firehawks. Took them off the car, cleaned them really well, then AIO/SG for the rims. After that, all four tires got 3 treatments of 303 in the span of 2 hours, then we mounted the wheels on the car and dress them with Black Sapphire every couple of weeks. They continue to look great.

old_gonzo
08-04-2003, 02:20 PM
I recently purchased 4 new Yokohama AVS Sport tires for the Corvette and found myself in the same situation. I wanted to safely and effectively clean/prep them for dressing. I chose a moderate bristle brush in conjunction with EF High Intensity. Worked wonders. :up

Bill D
08-04-2003, 04:35 PM
I take it it is completely harmless to the tire over a long period of time to top the 303 with the dressing of your choice?

imported_CBX Carl
08-04-2003, 04:41 PM
Good Question- I have not seen any ill effects yet.

Bill D
08-04-2003, 04:56 PM
I`m going to give this technique a shot. It will be good especially when prepping for a show :)

imported_CBX Carl
08-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

I`m going to give this technique a shot. It will be good especially when prepping for a show :)

The tires absorbed quite a bit on the initial application of the 303 and I did not buff the 303 before topping the tire off.

iceman
08-04-2003, 08:32 PM
I like a medium shine to the tires which I don`t get with 303 so I top the 303 with EO Wet Tire Gel currently. I may try the Turtle Wax Emerald Series Tire Gel next. Though I don`t know why I bother with the 303 since I probably would have to replace my worn out tires every 2 years anyway so UV protection for them is pointless.