07-29-2003, 03:47 PM
What are your thoughts on this one?

http://pix.crutchfield.com/products/2003/158/h158DSCP72.jpeg

http://pix.crutchfield.com/products/2003/158/h158DSCP72-o_inputs.jpeg

Sony DSC-P72 Cyber-shot

3.2-megapixel effective recording

1-1/2" color LCD

optical viewfinder

3X optical zoom (3.2X digital/9.6X total zoom with lower-res photos only)

JPEG options: 2048 x 1536; 1600 x 1200; 1280 x 960; 640 x 480

MPEG Movie VX with audio

autofocus

focus settings

macro mode

variable ISO (sensitivity)

auto exposure modes

exposure settings

built-in flash

compatible with Memory Stick or Memory Stick PROâ„¢ (16MB Memory Stick supplied)

Exif Print 2.2

USB interface

NTSC/PAL A/V output

4-3/4"W x 2-3/8"H x 1-9/16"D

weight: 9.1 oz with batteries and media

Price is about $300

Alexaris
07-29-2003, 04:57 PM
I think is a nice camera, I was planning to buy it, but I change my mind and bought thiw weekend the P8, is a little bit more expensive, but is aluminun case and smaller than the p72, has a little more features. I think both cameras are great, dont forget to purchase a 64 or 128 megs memorystick

cardsfaninky
07-29-2003, 06:44 PM
I just bought the fd200.The pics are great.You can use floppys to save your pics.They are very cheap and easy to upload.The camara is a little large but is well worth the results.You can select the megapixel you want.In most cases pixels is overrated.This camera is 2.0.Unless you are wanting to do professional 11x13 pixs 2.0 is plenty.imo try bestbuy.com 24 months free financing and 50 rebate. 249 total.

Beason
07-29-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Alexaris

I think is a nice camera, I was planning to buy it, but I change my mind and bought thiw weekend the P8, is a little bit more expensive, but is aluminun case and smaller than the p72, has a little more features. I think both cameras are great, dont forget to purchase a 64 or 128 megs memorystick

yes that was my other choice, im not sure if the extra money would be worth it, but I do like the P8

mzgloves20
08-05-2003, 03:59 AM
I have last years model (p-71) and love it. Nothing but good pictures....

BoxsterCharlie
08-05-2003, 04:42 AM
Sony`s are excellent cameras. Best color rendition in the business. But they take the proprietary Sony MemoryStick memory cards, so I boycott them.

I`d go with a Canon or Nikon instead. Best site for your research is http://www.dpreview.com, the Autopia of digital cameras.

LDPaul
08-05-2003, 05:13 AM
Sony`s are great and I purchased the CD version with 3.3 megapix. It holds hundreds of pics and videos. Super resolution so I can do prints up to 11x17.

imported_RadMon
08-05-2003, 05:39 AM
Even though I am a Sony man (receiver, TV, VCR, DVD, etc.) I avoid their cameras mainly because of their insistence on using their Memory Stick for storage. I have other digitals which use Compact Flash and only want new cameras to have this as well.

I`m shopping for a new digital as well and after reading the reviews, feel that I will get either the Canon A70 (3MP), or one of the Nikons (3100 3MP or 4300 4MP). The Nikon`s are usually rated the best for overall color/balance and do much better than the Sonys in dim light.

Even though the 4300 is a little more advanced than I`d like (mainly in manually-adjust features), it`s probably what I`ll end up with so I don`t regret having "cheapened out" down the road. Sort of like buying a computer; you always get the best you can afford since you know it will be a dinosaur in just a couple of years.

imported_CBX Carl
08-05-2003, 06:45 AM
Review the site mentioned above, it`s a great site.

Thoughts:

All the dig camera`s have functions and features that make for great copy but all we do is point and shoot - much like a conventional camera.

IMHO the deciding factor for my Dig camera purchase was the low cost, pic capacity and versitility of the CF memory card/s. I selected a Canon due to the low cost of Compact Flash cards and the ability to utilize them with the PC, Laptop and Printer. I have two 64 meg cards for camera.

The Canon does directly connect to the PC with its own cable and software.

Compact Flash card can be pulled from the camera and used in its own USB PC reader. Great when you have multiple CF cards. Camera is always ready to go with extra cards.

Laptop has USB for the reader and also a PCMCIA adapter which can be left in the slot. The CF card can be inserted into the PCMCIA adapter card and used in just about any laptop.

Some new printers have CF slots and LCD`s to directly view and/or print pics from the card with no PC.

LOTA OT
08-05-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by BoxsterCharlie

Sony`s are excellent cameras. Best color rendition in the business. But they take the proprietary Sony MemoryStick memory cards, so I boycott them.

I`d go with a Canon or Nikon instead. Best site for your research is http://www.dpreview.com, the Autopia of digital cameras.

You can now get the memory sticks from several vendors (sandisk, viking, etc.) cheaper than the sony units, so I wouldn`t make this your deciding factor.

I`m not familiar with the particular camera you picked, but I`d have to agree that cannon and nikkon make some better cameras.

Michael

BoxsterCharlie
08-05-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by mpauly

You can now get the memory sticks from several vendors (sandisk, viking, etc.) cheaper than the sony units, so I wouldn`t make this your deciding factor.

It`s not just the price. It`s the fact that you can`t use the CF reader in your friend`s machine, or swap cards. It`s also performance. I doubt that the "ultra" stick card can compare with a 40x Lexar.

Sony created this format out of greed and it is pretty typical for the company. Sadly, they could have made just as much money making some cards for all people as all the cards for some of the people.

Boycott `em, I say! :)

93LSCOUPE
08-05-2003, 10:22 AM
Canons are the best digicams because they have the best quality lenses. Casio also uses the same lenses but are cheaper than Canon.

If you`re looking for the best "value" then look at the Olympus C-4000 . You will get the most functionality for your money.

There are many models, so just get one that fits you.

Also, it`s always best to buy electronics that are physically "made in Japan."

Japan produces better products overall IMO.

paco
08-05-2003, 10:54 AM
I love my Canon A70 3MP. Allows you to use interchangeable lens. Perfect size and weight. Takes awesome pictures. All the features are in the right locations for taking great pics.

The ELPH`s are nice as well (230 or the new 400). Just a bit too small in my opinion.

The other day I was playing with a colleague`s camera, a Minolta DiMAGE Xt or i) and it was smaller than a cigarette pack. It was aweful. You could hardly hold the camera in your hands, forget about zooming and your right hand fingers tended to get into the view finder. There is such a thing as toooo small.

I looked and looked when I was buying mine and spent more the 6 months waiting for the A70 to finally hit the shelves.

I would only consider Canon > Olympus > Fugi / Sony digitals.

I too am a Sony fan (monitors, TVs, reasonable prices on A/V) but not for the digicams. I found the Sony build quality a bit poor and for some reason, the picture`s tend to come out to blue in my opinion. However, http://www.a-digital-eye.com/SonyP72DL1.html has some pics with it and they don`t seem blue at all. Pictures are very nice actually.

Go with a Canon or Olmpus, you won`t be disappointed but that site does have some nice pictures so perhaps the Sony is a good choice.

imported_CBX Carl
08-05-2003, 12:08 PM
One thing I wanted to add. Our local Walmart has a Kisoh Print Center which accepts CF cards. Cards direct to print.

LOTA OT
08-05-2003, 12:35 PM
I have a Canon s230 (elph) which I got because it is small enough to carry around easiblly in your pocket, easy to use and takes pretty decent pictures. The card access is pretty fast (meaning it writes/erases pictures quickly). My only gripes are the flash isn`t the best (but most small cameras flashes are not) and it`s only a 2x optical zoom.

At work I have a Sony 707 which was their top of the line about 2 years ago. It`s a 5 megapixel with 10x optical zoom carl zeiss lens (marketing ploy). It does take great pictures, has an awesome flash and the zoom is really nice to have sometimes. But, it`s huge, heavy and over priced. I`ll agree with Paco, the build quality isn`t the best for the price.

It`s best to layout what you want from a camera then come up with a short list cameras that fit your needs and look into which is best. What`s most important to you, size, pic quality, price, adjustability (ISO, appeture, etc), media compatability, etc.

Michael