PDA

View Full Version : when Menzerna intensive polish isnt strong enough

imported_carnut00
07-29-2003, 01:48 PM
Im having some trouble here. There are some clear coat scratches that menzerna just wont touch. I could leave the PC on the area for a long time and then remove the residue and the scratches are still there. What to do next? I am using a porter cable and orange pad. What product can I use with my orange pad? Anything that can be purchased locally? I need something stronger. that was the reason I purchased the menzerna.. Also what should be used on "scuff marks"?

Spilchy
07-29-2003, 01:53 PM
Make a few passes with the IP first. Try a true compund pad.

If that doesn`t work try a couple passes with DACP.

If that doesn`t work try Medium Cut Cleaner, then DACP.

I had the same issues on an older Honda and the Medium Cut Cleaner followed by DACP followed by AIO did the trick.

imported_carnut00
07-29-2003, 03:04 PM
I will re-try with the yellow cutting pad, i think thats the problem.. thanks! anyone else?

SamIam
07-29-2003, 03:11 PM
I had the same issue, different product. Basically, try the cutting pad, if it doesn`t work, try a wool pad. The wool pad did the trick for me.

imported_carnut00
07-29-2003, 04:06 PM
I was told that the wool pad is designed to use with a bonnet on top? and it generates heat? where can i find more info on it

pward76
07-29-2003, 04:09 PM
I`d be surprised if going from the orange to the yellow will help much (but, heck, I`ve been surprised before)

I would do (and have done) what Spilchy suggests - try the DACP and then I went to an even more aggressive product 3M medium cut rubbing compound. Then back to DACP, then to FP.

I didn`t think to try the wool pad...

pward76
07-29-2003, 04:14 PM
Put a cutting pad on the PC then put the wool pad on over the first one. At least, that`s the way I understand to do it.....

Bill D
07-29-2003, 04:20 PM
I think CMA said using the terry bonnet ontop of the wool pad is for final buffing. The wool pad underneath minimizes the terry bonnet from scratching when doing the final buffing.

Hope the 3m RC works with the wool pad for you. It didn`t for me on a black car, still can`t get rid of some scratches, but it did leave the finish incredibly clean and smooth after following up with the IP and FP

nsxguru
07-30-2003, 02:48 PM
Please let us know if a foam cutting pad does the trick as I`m in the same boat. It is a lot easier to get my hands on a cutting pad than my next possible solution which would be to try Menzerna`s Powergloss which is a step above IP.

:bounce

Auto Care USA
07-30-2003, 06:50 PM
It`s not so much the pad the porter cable or the product. Many scratches require a rotary variable speed buffer. I can remove almost any scratch with a wool pad and my Black and Decker. I prefer Presta products. The trick after the removal of the scratch is to remove the buff marks.

Scottwax
07-30-2003, 10:24 PM
The product I would use still isn`t available...Blue Moose which is a pretty aggressive yet clearcoat safe compound. It will leave some minor hazing but DACP will take it right out. I`ll be posting some pics probably by Monday of a Maxima that apparently the owner used a kitchen scrubber to smooth down where she touched up the paint. DACP was barely making a dent, so I used the Blue Moose. By hand, I had the scratches out in a few minutes (pretty much one whole door), then I used DACP to remove the light hazing then followed with Swirl Free.

The difference was pretty dramatic and I am hoping the pics come out real good and show the difference.

imported_carnut00
07-31-2003, 03:29 PM
Im fustrated, ordered

DACP

lambswool pad

yellow cutting pad

Zaino z123545678990 ;)

I pray it works. Im having second thoughts on the dacp. In the past ive purchased many products just a tad streonger than the previous one and havent had good results.

i think i should have gotten something stronger from the start. Im working with a 13 year old neglected car. It also has some scratches/scuffs

MichaelB21
07-31-2003, 05:33 PM
Zaino is supposed to be applied by hand, isn`t it?

I am scared of my dads buffer, I stick with the Porter Cable dual action polisher. There are a few spots I`d like my dad to use his buffer on but that can happen another day.

imported_carnut00
07-31-2003, 10:49 PM
I changed my order !

decided to use the lambswool pad with menzerna, and for harsh areas use perfect-it III compound (instead of DACP).

hope it works out