PDA

View Full Version : Morning dew etching on red paint?

evo77
07-29-2003, 12:20 PM
Unfortunately I do not have a garage (yet). So my vehicles endure every aspect of mother nature 24-7. However one thing has boggled me and I just can`t figure it out. I had owned a 99 milano red Honda and noticed after time I could see teeny tiny specs all over the paint, mainly on the top sides of the vehicle. They were not easily removable and required a heavy amount of buffing with 3M SMR. They eventually reappeared after time but I tried to stay on top of things to minimize or mask the appearance of them. I came to the conclusion after reading and researching on car care sites that they were possibly acid etching. I assumed that in the early morning time when dew had accumulated on the vehicle, the sun would rise and heat the water droplets and etch them into the paint. I do have to admit, I could have probably taken better care of the paint had I properly waxed it more often. Perhaps this would have given the paint a better chance to withstand the etching? Anyways, the Honda has been sold and has been gone since late last year.

And now we are at the present. I now have yet another red vehicle and guess what? They`re back! From what I can see this does not happen on any of the other vehicles I`ve had. 2 white and 1 silver. Perhaps those colors tend to hide them more? So after all my babbling (sorry :( ) my question is this: is there anything I can do to prevent this from ruining my new vehicle? I`ve owned the car for about 3 weeks. I have not had a chance to detail it yet. I`ve only washed it and frequently use EO QD. I knew I should have bought silver.:D

Accumulator
07-29-2003, 02:20 PM
If *I* were in your situation, with your concerns, I`d layer on MANY layers of Klasse SG and let THEM take the abuse. Whatever`s going on, I`d rather it happen to a "sacrificial layer" than to the paint. So I`d prioritize protection over appearance (if you`re not crazy about how SG looks). SG, at least when layered on, has been pretty well proven to provide a good barrier between the paint and the environment.

And yeah, heh heh, after quite a few black and red cars, I buy silver these days...life`s too short.

imported_CBX Carl
07-29-2003, 02:30 PM
I have seen this occur on my truck. No garage as well so it is outside 24/7 but is has been doing well with the AIO/SG/S100 trio. The hood and the roof take the force of the heat and a QD as needed helps alot.

forrest@mothers
07-29-2003, 04:17 PM
I`d guess it`s sulphuric acid etching from local power plants and the steel mills in Gary.

They`re probably on your white and silver cars, too - just not easily visible.

I`d suggest frequent application of your favorite product, QD every morning and a quality car cover to minimize the stuff from getting on the paint.

evo77
07-29-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by forrest

I`d guess it`s sulphuric acid etching from local power plants and the steel mills in Gary.

They`re probably on your white and silver cars, too - just not easily visible.

I`d suggest frequent application of your favorite product, QD every morning and a quality car cover to minimize the stuff from getting on the paint.

QD every morning? lol...I can barely get myself out of bed let alone QD my car at 6 in the morning.:D

Funny thing you mention about the powerplant. I`m far from Gary and I technically live in Zion, 45 minutes north of Chicago.

There is a powerplant right here in Zion.:eek: I kind of thought in the back of my mind that the rain and dew might be corrupted.