PDA

View Full Version : Questions about car paint after an accident.

OUCH
07-29-2003, 12:33 AM
I got into an accident about 8-10 months ago, I took my car to a VERY reputable place in Beverly Hills. They did an excellent job except for one thing. I`m not sure if they didn`t put much paint compared to factory, cause now everytime I get a rock chip on my hood it`s always down to the metal. And with my old hood before it was NEVER like this and if you look at the chipped area closely, you can see the a VERY thin layer of clear coat, an okay amount of paint and then metal no primer what so ever.

Should I take it back to the place that did the paint?

Garagekungen
07-29-2003, 01:31 AM
Look at it from the bright side, if they have not used any primer or bondo :eek: - they must be VERY good in sheet metal work...;) (if they repaired the broken piece to such condition)

I would have got back to them and asked about it. You will probably learn something.

Where you live it might not matter as much, but here in Sweden it would not last even for "the summer"...

OUCH
07-29-2003, 02:54 AM
So you guys think they gave me less layers?

meGrimlock
07-29-2003, 08:55 AM
It could also be due to the fact that the paint wasn`t baked in an oven like the factory finish was. :nixweiss

//MMMGood
07-29-2003, 10:04 AM
I know that the heat is one thing. But most car manufactures can put much more paint that a normal paint shop can as they rotate the car while it is being dried and painted so that it doesn`t run. A body shop would have to paint dry sand many times...and I don`t think you would like that bill(and I don`t think an insurance company would pay for 10K of paint work)

Peter Hsu

russ968
07-29-2003, 10:13 AM
My wife had a small mishap a couple of years ago and we have the same problem. Paint seems very thin and actually seems more fragile as well, it chips more easily. So although the panel is very straight I`d say the paintwork was average at best...