PDA

View Full Version : Anyone machine buffing there windows

SVR
07-28-2003, 05:38 AM
When i was last here several months ago i read some posts about people removing scratches with their machine buffer. This sounds crazy to me but has anyone had success with this method. I use Autosol by hand on scratched windows with good results and could cut a layer of glass out but that reduces the structural strength of the windows.

SK2003TypeS
07-28-2003, 07:32 AM
Haven`t tried it yet, but very curious. This has been on the back burner for me, but I`m sure someone will chime in here. I read this on CMA and was like :nixweiss

http://www.properautocare.com/glaspolkit.html

imported_phareous
07-28-2003, 08:17 AM
The CMA kit didn`t do anything for me. I suppose it might clean good but as far as taking out defects its not going to happen. Also it uses a size adapter on it which tends ot unscrew and can through the PC`s shaft onto the glass. If its really a shallow scratch you could maybe use a good cesium oxide kit (I think thats right). For deeper scratches you can buy some high end polish and equipment ($500+) which can change the defraction of the scratch so its not as visible. And for pits, you`re out of luck as nothing will take them out.

Beason
07-28-2003, 03:37 PM
I had some windows on a 11 yrs old truck that had all types of stuff on it. I clayed the windows then tried to use a MF and Stoners but it was like rubbing over concrete. I grabbed my PC and a pad that had some 3M Fine Cut Compound and tried it on the glass. one word. AMAZING. The windows were smooth and clean nice reflection. I wouldnt do it everytime maybe once or twice a year. I recommend it if you have time.

huangdong28
07-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Zaino glass cleaner is designed for this. Just keep clear of any gasket or trim - it will scuff.

abe lincoln
07-28-2003, 03:42 PM
What are some safe cleaners/polishes to use on glass? I was thinking of using something like SMR on my windshield to clean it up, or maybe even ScratchX. Any ideas?

SVR
07-28-2003, 10:52 PM
Spent this morning going to some new wholesale chemical stores and found Cleaners Warehouse and purchased Sonitron Glass Shield. Made In Queensland Australia, you spray on surface then buff off with a cheesecloth and it puts a protective film on the glass and prevents any pollution from damaging it.

Will give it a go and get back with the results