PDA

View Full Version : Do you clean prior to wiping on any vinyl reconditioner ?

chip douglas
07-27-2003, 11:21 AM
Don`t get me wrong here, i`m not too lazy to clean the whole interior vinyl, prior to applying vinyl dressing. and i guess it would make the job look better to first use any APC to wipe on the whole vinyl surface, but in doubt i prefer asking.

Why do i ask this ? Cause i have bought a vinyl reconditioner(locally), the brand is *finish kare*, and asked the rep. if it contained silicone, and it doesn`t, and also he told me that the stuff actually cleans and rejuvenate vinyl, so he said i didnt have to clean the surface prior to using it, which i have doubts about, and that`s where i come in with this question about cleaning, as i`m big on doing proper work, BUT if this step is almost useless, then i`ll skip it, as there`s already much to do round the car, without putting extra strain :nixweiss

P.S. what i think would be best(but i may be mistaken here) is to use some kind of duster, or a vaccum with the right extention, tu remove dust, then apply vinyl dressing, like 303, but polishing it a lot, so it doesnt leave a greasy film.

see y`all :)

wash_me
07-27-2003, 12:13 PM
I am not a big fan of applying interior vinyl dressing. I might apply it two times a year to my cars just add oils back into the vinyl, now if you had a convertible thats a differ story. But anyway I would clean the vinyl first.

Patrick
07-27-2003, 01:21 PM
It would be like waxing without cleaning first, right ? Same theory....

You should give it a cleaning first, I would go with the APC of choice, then condition.....There are cleaner/preservatives for vinyl though....Just like cleaner/waxes.....:p

chip douglas
07-27-2003, 01:26 PM
thanks for your comments and inputs guys, i appreciate it much ;)

KCPreki11
07-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Can`t say I agree, I think #40 also cleans and conditions. I know what you mean. I used to APC and Condition everything. Now I just APC all vinyl and condition from just the front seat belts forward. So I just condition door, dash, middle console, and the front seat area. I had to find a way to save time on the interior. I`d like to see what the pros do, I bet they use a one step.

chris0626
07-27-2003, 03:42 PM
I have two different approaches, and both seem to work well.

On the Jag show-car, I clean the vinyl using Einszett Plastik Reiniger (translates "plastic/vinyl cleaner"). Reviews of Plastik Reiniger are

in the Product Reviews section (http://www.autopia.org/review/censura.php?tsid=1&csid=080e0606b2ceef5f767b9160b1b2d75c&cmd=details&itemid=292). I was astounded by the amount of grime the Plastik Reiniger pulls out and the ease of use; it seems both aggressive and easy/gentle, which -- I know -- seems like an oxymoron. But that`s my perception. Then I condition using 303 on a damp yellow foam applicator and buff off with a MF.

On the Benz and on friends` cars that I detail, I`m using Poorboy`s Natural Look for the interior vinyl. To me, it seems like a very effective, easy-to-use one-step cleaner and conditioner. And personally I like the smell.

To me, Poorboy`s seems to have a little more sheen than the Plastik-Reiniger/303 combo.

SVR
07-28-2003, 05:13 AM
I only rejuvinate my car`s interior once a year or if i find some stains.Most vinyl and rubber conditioners i believe are too oily. I use a damp perforated poly vinyl alcohol chamois to remove dust from the interior plastics and any stains are taken out with Lanotec Citra Force. I follow this with Orkin Of London Leather and Vinyl Groom or Blue Magic Vinyl Cleaner. 3M plastic polish is pretty good too. I hate having a darker than new, sheeny look in car interiors.

imported_Larry A
07-28-2003, 09:09 AM
I just clean my vinyl with Murphy Oil Soap in the spray bottle.

panapower
07-28-2003, 10:54 AM
I just cleaned a celica and it`s interior last night and I DEFINITELY had to use a cleaner to wipe off the dirt and grime from teh vinyl before applying the dressing on it. Even after cleaning it the yellow foam pad for the dressing was dirty.

shaf
07-28-2003, 01:08 PM
Well my dash and most surfaces don`t get that dirty, but I`ve found simply wiping down the surfaces really well with a damp MF cleans it pretty thoroughly for me. I was using soapy water before but then started to notice it cleaned without soap too (gee, just like MF companies say!). :p

PanaPower, please check your PMs...