PDA

View Full Version : Extension of test, zaino vs AIO/SG/p21s carnauba

imported_zenhog
07-27-2003, 11:01 AM
Well, I did a test yesterday and had too many quadrants on the car, couldn`t compare crap, and also didn`t use the z6 between applications so I invalidated the test. Also I ended up topping everything and that didnt make sense for the zaino side.

So.. I removed it all (2 appl of 50/50 alcohol/water and a good PC polishing with GEPC).

Now have hood split in half.

one side has 3 coats of zaino with z6 inbetween each (left on the gepc, much debate I know.. but I`m not testing for durability and lasting, I`m looking for LOOK on my very dark navy blue metallic car)

The other side has AIO/SG (3 coats also) (and in between spritzed with sonus to be fair to the process, since it`s ok to do with the zaino) and then covered with one coat of p21s carnauba.

I have to find a place to take this car to see the differences. At this point there is NONE.

What can I do to see difference? In what environment?

Also if I do come up with the conclusion that the zaino isn`t deep enough I`m going to add a coat of p21s to see what difference that makes and compare that to the other side.

Pics to come. That is, IF I can get a pic that shows the difference - I take a lot of photos and still it`s hard to capture!

Comments ?

Accumulator
07-27-2003, 11:29 AM
As I recall, the Sebring was in pretty poor shape when you started. A lot of this is gonna hinge on just how well you resuscitated :o the finish. I`ll assume you got it VERY nice...

My first guess is your lighting. You`ll need to inspect it under different/varying lighting, at least something different from what you`re using now.

BTW, topping with P21S will probably DIMINISH any differences, not exactly what I think you want at this time.

BTW, although *I* don`t care too much for the Z look (except on white, thanks to Lynn), it`s VERY popular with the Impala SS crowd, lots of black/dark cherry cars there, so see what YOU think. Remember what they say about opinions...

imported_zenhog
07-27-2003, 11:36 AM
I think you`re remembering my recent episode with the car hauler parked on my lawn.. that gets fixed (the door) tomorrow. Other than that the car was in as good a shape for a 2001 as you`ll find coming from someone who almost has a clue about taking care of finishes. I had less than the average amount of scratches and swirl marks to get out, etc.

So far I`ve looked at it under florescent garage lights., halogen lights, reflected sunlight, direct sunlight (that tells nothing at all), nightime lights in front of autozone lol... but I`m still stopping every time the lighting is different, getting out and looking. People must think I`m nuts.. which I am, come to think of it, so what.. lol

Thanks

imported_Intermezzo
07-28-2003, 12:09 PM
I`ve always had trouble noticing differences when comparing two products on a single panel. Either my eyes aren`t good enough or I`m not looking under the correct lighting. Over the weekend, I compared Zaino vs. Mother`s Hot Wheels Premium Wax side using a side-by-side test on the hood of one of my Civic and I had trouble telling a difference. I really didn`t expect to see much difference either because I`ve done several side-by-side tests and have rarely been able to discern much of a difference between various products. So I`m mainly testing for things like durability, beading & dust attraction.

I know this answer doesn`t help you too much, but I also detailed a friend`s jet black BMW over the weekend (same color & make as my car but one year newer) using the new and improved Z-5. I detail this car regularly and it usually looks about as good as my car when I`m finished with it. But this weekend was different because I had a 1-week old coat of Platinum on my car. This was the first time I was able to compare our cars side by side using different products and I noticed a substantial difference in shine.

SamIam
07-28-2003, 03:01 PM
I am guessing your 1 week old Platinum looked worse, but can you confirm? What was the difference?

imported_jgv
07-28-2003, 03:41 PM
Nothing like a just waxed look! That`s why I don`t care about durability :o

imported_Intermezzo
07-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by SamIam

I am guessing your 1 week old Platinum looked worse, but can you confirm? What was the difference?

No, actually the 1 week old Platinum ran circles around Z. My friend and I agreed that Platinum looked nicer because of the way it brought out the color of my car. It had a much nicer glow to it than his Z’d car and was just as slick and filled minor swirls better.

Keep in mind though that his Zaino’d car still had a killer shine with awesome reflectivity and gloss and that our preference for Platinum`s shine is a relatively subjective matter.