PDA

View Full Version : 3M SMR vs SEC

Black Bird SC
07-26-2003, 06:07 PM
I know this really isn`t an "apples to apples" comparison, but my question is this: On my car (black) I usually go SMR, SEC, S100, but it seems like I could skip the SEC and there wouldn`t be any difference. I work the SMR in very well and it never hazes. Anyone else go straight from SMR to S100? Another reason for me asking is I have almost a full bottle of SMR and I need to make a trip to the harley shop for more S100. If I can skip SEC, I`ll stop buying it. Thanks.

JasonC8301
07-26-2003, 06:14 PM
SMR and SEC are very similar in terms of abrasive level IMHO. The SMR has a very light touch more abrasives to round out some swirls and then fillers to cover up the swirls and produce gloss. I find SEC to have a little more bite in terms of oxidation than SMR but less swirl removal ability/rounding, but has enough oils and fillers to cover them out.

When used by hand SEC and SMR are both along the same abrasive levels. You are filling over removing.

SMR + S100, or SEC + S100. I would go with SEC + S100, because I find SEC easier to work with and leaves a glossier finish. Thats just me though, YMMV.

imported_BretFraz
07-26-2003, 06:41 PM
Use the product that gives you the best results. Sounds like the SMR is working well for you so no need to get more SEPC unless you want it.

I agree with Jason that both polishes are similar but personally I notice more of a diff when I use them by PC vs. hand application.

Patrick
07-26-2003, 07:08 PM
I often times will go from SMR to BF, especially on light colors, but, if i get some hazing, I will go to BF polish prior to sealant, to clean up ......I find that more so on dark colors....