PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on buying an older SUV

MaDAnT26x
07-25-2003, 02:54 PM
I`m in the market for a 2nd car for snowboarding, mountain biking, and general winter use, but I don`t have much money to spend. So this means I have to purchase an older SUV. I really don`t know anything about early 90`s SUV`s and was looking for your opinions on what would be some reliable models to search for. I have around $3000 to spend, want an SUV from `88-`95, with 4x4, and a 6 cylinder engine. The rest doesn`t matter.

These old SUV`s usually have a lot of miles on them and I don`t have any money to put into one for repairs (the Porsche took care of that). What models should I be looking for that won`t give me problems. So far people have said to look at Nissan Pathfinders. Thanks.

MaDAnT26x
07-25-2003, 03:07 PM
To further explain my position, I just want a beater SUV for only the winter, my 951 is my daily driver. Since I know anything I look at, at that price range, is going to be in fair condition, I wanted to know what models/makes have a reputation for holding up better over the years. Anyway, that was the point of my question.

C. Charles Hahn
07-25-2003, 03:12 PM
I`m sorry to say, but most SUV`s are beat-on by their owners and will need some maintenance depending how picky you are about it running perfect. Just as an example, on my 98 S10 Blazer (I wouldn`t recommend you getting an s-series) I have replaced:

3 O2 sensors

oil cooler lines

wiper controller board

all 4 shocks

exhaust (muffler/tailpipe)

trans fluid/filter

u-joints

ball joints

pinion seal (at least 3 times)

coolant

running mobil 1

in total, since I`ve owned this near 68k-mile truck, I`ve spent probably $2-3k in maintenance (paid $16k to start with for the truck at 52k miles)

and this one was actually in better shape than others a model year or two newer than it I looked at.

Now, if you want my advice, I would say try to look for a late-80s early-90s K5 blazer with the 350 V8.... the chevy smallblocks run like tanks for many, many miles with only minimal problems.

Poorboy
07-25-2003, 03:51 PM
Try an old Explorer..I`ve seen many with 150k plus and little maintenence overall...and try to find an original owner one too

Malibu
07-28-2003, 12:59 AM
Another plug for a first gen Explorer. I had mine from brand new until 156K. The 4.0 is near bulletproof, but try to get a 5 speed, because the A4LD autos are crap. They`re surprisingly capable off road as well and mine did great in MI winters. Check out www.explorerforum.com for info.

Mike

wash-girl
08-01-2003, 02:45 PM
Ok, so maybe I`m a little biased.;) I know there are a lot of Jeep "bashers," but the fact of the matter is that, for something older, with high mileage, you`re not gonna do better than the Jeep 4.0 litre inline 6. The motors will run well into the upper 200K mile range, with very little maintenance.

Of course, the transmissions sometimes need work, so look for one that may have had a tranny rebuild or replacement, or at least one that had the factory tow package (because it has a stock tranny cooler that may have helped the tranny last better).

And as far as 4x4 capability, you`ll do no better in stock form. Look for one with Selec-Trac, if you can find it--that way you only use the 4WD when you choose to, and can save gas when you don`t need it.

And there`s great do-it-yourself help availble for Grand Cherokees at the forum pages of http://www.nagca.com and http://www.jeepsunlimited.com

Good luck with whatever you get.

imported_garyo
08-01-2003, 03:20 PM
What about something like a Subaru? You can find early to mid 90`s AWD Impreza and AWD Impreza wagons in your price range.

uconn1150
08-01-2003, 03:28 PM
How about an older Dodge Ramcharger? I really love mine and they are easily/cheaply fixed...stick to pre-88 though for carb/post 88 for TBI:D

LOTA OT
08-02-2003, 08:40 PM
ZJ JIM 96 - got to agree with you on the Jeep recommendation. I had a 1990 jeep cherokee XJ that I had from `93-02 and never had a major problem with it when I got rid of it with 120K miles. Sure it needed new brakes and had a small oil leak, but not much else. I sold it to a local guy who put $500 for a tune up and to fix the above items and drove it cross country and then to Belize (central america).

The 4.0L engine is pretty bullet proof as are the both the manual and auto trannies as long as they haven`t been used to tow much. They are easy to work on and parts are cheap and easy to get.

Michael

EricZ
08-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by mpauly

The 4.0L engine is pretty bullet proof as are the both the manual and auto trannies as long as they haven`t been used to tow much. They are easy to work on and parts are cheap and easy to get.

Michael

This is true. I also had a `90 Cherokee with the 4.0L in it. I had some other problems, but that was the result of buying one that was former police vehicle. 4.0`s go forever and have very adequate power for that size vehicle. You can find Cherokee`s cheap and they are one of the "original" SUVs. (Live axle, real 4WD.) Find one that`s a bit newer and has a high output (HO) 4.0L in it and you`ll be in good shape. (The high output`s have a better cooling system.)

imported_CBX Carl
08-10-2003, 04:00 PM
Ford Explorer - Parts are available and cheap - Junkyards are full of them. I find the majority of the ones we work on never see offroad - a snow storm here and there.