PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline before detailing? Um...

n2_space
07-25-2003, 11:54 AM
I doubt that he`d like the way I give my car an entire gasoline bath before detailing it either. Much easier to work on scratches and such when you arent first trying to cut through a buildup of wax. Wash, gas bath, wash, cleaner, swirl remover, glaze, sealant, carnuba wax, for my car.

I wouldn`t rub my car with gas before detailing each time... what is wrong with this person? Wouldn`t gas strip oils from teh paint as well??? thoughts, comments?

Scott P
07-25-2003, 12:00 PM
I think the major concern would be fire. Plus, gas isn`t sometihng I`d like to have washed down my driveway and into the sewer system.

imported_BretFraz
07-25-2003, 01:36 PM
Sounds like advice from the 1930`s. A build up of wax? How much of a build up can there be? It`s not like wax build up is inches thick! About any SMR will remove any so-called build up anyway.

If he wants to strip off old waxes and sealants first, then use a proper body prep product such as Prepsol or similar. Prepsol is used everyday in body shops everywhere to remove wax, sealant, silicones, dirt, oils, etc. And it won`t leave a residue like gasoline will (modern gasoline has additives in it).

jim antis
07-25-2003, 01:39 PM
plus you will have a buzz or head ache ,from the fumes.

shaf
07-25-2003, 02:13 PM
This reeks of the similarly old kerosene tip. :p

C. Charles Hahn
07-25-2003, 02:18 PM
hell even isopropyl alcohol would do the job to a more satisfactory result!

tiburon03
07-25-2003, 02:23 PM
dugh

endus
07-25-2003, 02:25 PM
People with the gasoline...I`m sorry but that`s SO ****ING STUPID.

There was a guy on Maxima.org who liked to use acetone to clean his paint too...I was like... :eek:

DaGonz
07-25-2003, 07:17 PM
Sounds like a candidate for the Darwin awards! :doh

The only time gasoline is intrinsically safe is when it is used at a temperature below its flashpoint...which is - 44 degrees Fahrenheit!

I once went to a call for an odor of gasoline in a two family house. The downstairs tenant was overhalling a Harley engine and washing parts with gasoline in the kitchen sink...

just a few feet away from a gas stove with a pilot light! :shocked :scared

It was by the grace of God, sheer luck or the fact that there was a breeze blowing through the kitchen that kept the gasoline vapors away from the stove and kept them from igniting!

shaf
07-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by ejant

One spark from friction or elsewise and poof. How about static electricity for another? :eek:

n2_space
07-25-2003, 09:45 PM
Yet these fools continue to defend their use of gas :o Maybe Darwin needs to be in effect here..... :shocked

Thanks for all the replies :bounce