PDA

View Full Version : Mother`s Showtime.....

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Luster
07-25-2003, 09:49 AM
I was entered in a Car Show last Saturday and, in my haste to prepare, I forgot to put a fresh bottle of my favorite QD (Z6) in my detailing bag!

There was an auto parts store near the show, so I stopped in a purchased a bottle of Mother`s Showtime.

I was very dissappointed in it`s performance over Zaino!

Streaks, smears........it looked absolutely terrible!

I was using freshly washed MF towels, and the paint surface was just Zaino`d (Z2) the night before.

I ended up borrowing some Meguiar`s QD from a "neighbor" at the car show just to get the Showtime off.

Do Showtime and Z2 not mix?

One point I failed to mention....I was parked in the sun. Zaino is perfectly fine in the sun, but maybe Showtime is not. ???

Thanks........Bill

EDIT 7/28/03.....

After reading several `RAVE REVIEWS` about ShowTime, I decided to give it another chance.

I used it on a customer`s car today after giving it a wash.

IT WORKED GREAT! Very slick `n` smooth....

I think I have isolated the problem.

a. My car is black and it was in VERY HOT SUNLIGHT. (103 degrees)....

b. I had applied Z6 just a couple hours prior.

I really think the combination of these two factors cause the smearing and streaking.

I feel a little better about the product now.

Spilchy
07-25-2003, 10:53 AM
Just my $.02, but I`m not a fan. I bought it and now only use it as lube for clay and for painted surfaces under the hood. Plus I hate that strong cinamon (sp?) smell.

That had to suck! You get the car looking great and you smear the paint at the show! :scared

C. Charles Hahn
07-25-2003, 11:01 AM
funny, mothers showtime has always been one of my favorites for use on any surface... but then I usually use it with a cloth diaper and not an MF- I just use a dry MF for final dust-buff after I`m finished QDing.

I`ve had no problems with it in the sun, you just have to remember not to use too much of it and to wipe it quickly, don`t let it bake too long.

MBZ 500E
07-25-2003, 11:16 AM
Luster I had the exact same experience with Showtime.

A couple of months ago I was in a show and I received a sample of Mothers Showtime in the goodie bag. I decided to give it a try to see if it improved the appearance. My car was in the garage and the paint was cool. I used it on about 1/4 of my hood and it made an horrible streaky/splotchy mess that I had to literally buff off for the next 7 days. Needless to say the bottle was trashed shortly thereafter.

I`m wondering now if it has something to do with all the previous coats of Meguiars Final Detail, is it possible the two products don`t mix resulting in a mess.:nixweiss

Something else I noticed was it changed the color of my paint from Metallic Grey to a Goldish/Grey.:confused:

Does anyone know if Showtime is carnauba based?

biff
07-25-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Luster

I was very dissappointed in it`s performance over Zaino!

Streaks, smears........it looked absolutely terrible!

One point I failed to mention....I was parked in the sun. Zaino is perfectly fine in the sun, but maybe Showtime is not. ???

Thanks........Bill

You got it. I`ve always had terrible results in the sun with it.

Other than that it works fine for me. (The smell IS strange though; kinda like using Doctor Pepper for QD).

I only use it because it comes with their claybar and cleaner wax, and is a great deal in that sense. I`ll have to try the Mequiar`s FInal Inspection stuff.

Mr. Clean
07-25-2003, 12:12 PM
I have used Showtime with a variety of products (but not with Zaino) without the problems noted on this thread. I normally QD in the garage, but have used it in the sun, again without problems. Showtime is currently my QD of choice to mix with Poorboys Spray & Wipe, and...no streaking or smearing.

bimmerzhp
07-25-2003, 12:37 PM
This is the only QD I use. I never had a problem with it. I have used it outside and used it when I apply Klasse. No smearing or streaks. I do use a terry towel to remove it, not sure if this makes a difference.

shaf
07-25-2003, 02:21 PM
I`ve already voiced my opinion, at length, in this thread: Eagle One Wet, Wipe and Shine (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25954&highlight=showtime) :p After I`m finished with my current QDs, this will be the only one I`ll be using in the future.

I`ve never had problems with Showtime myself either, but then again my car also isn`t black. I believe past threads had discussed people perhaps using too much of it or using it in the sun which causes it to evaporate too quickly.

I`m sure Forrest will be by soon to chime in anyway. :D

biff
07-25-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

I`ve already voiced my opinion, at length, in this thread: Eagle One Wet, Wipe and Shine (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25954&highlight=showtime) :p After I`m finished with my current QDs, this will be the only one I`ll be using in the future.

Do you mean that you`ll be using The EO or the Mother`s?

One thing I noticed about the EO; It says "Removes wax residue"

How does it distinguish between Wax residue and wax? In my mind it must also be capable of removing some of your wax?

Opinions on this?

imported_Larry A
07-25-2003, 08:38 PM
All qds will remove wax residue. Spray it on a fine tooth brush and clean out your nooks and craneys.Modern waxes have a lot of oil in them to give that wet look shine Eagle One WnS will even out that excess oil and give a better gloss

shaf
07-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Biff

Do you mean that you`ll be using The EO or the Mother`s? Sorry I wasn`t very clear. I mean I`ll be using only Showtime once my other QDs like EO and Meguiar`s are used up. :up

As I had said in that thread I linked, most QDs I`ve tried seem to perform well for what they`re intended to do, and they all can do the same things. It`s just the small, subtle differences that made me choose Showtime as my favourite.

forrest@mothers
07-25-2003, 10:42 PM
Streaking can occur if:

large areas with too much product

or

the removal towel is loaded up with product.

Used lightly, on small areas, I`ve never head a problem with streaking out in the sun.

But, once a towel loads up with product, it doesn`t remove fully and streaking will occur.

There is no carnauba in the product, and I`ve used it successfully on Zaino.

Sorry you didn`t like the product.

Don`t forget, BTW, the product has a satisfaction guarantee. Return the remaining product with receipt to the store for a refund.

SVR
07-26-2003, 04:57 AM
Never been impressed with Mothers products. The california gold wash is no match for the Omikron super gloss australian made product which does a masterful job on all types of wheels as well. I`m sure for a weekend washer or casual cleaner all mothers products do a fine job but not up to the standard i want and get from 3M,PPG,Magnum Top Gear,Farecla,Omikron,Blue Magic,Malco and Autosol.

shaf
07-26-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by SVR

Never been impressed with Mothers products. The california gold wash is no match for the Omikron super gloss australian made product which does a masterful job on all types of wheels as well. I`m sure for a weekend washer or casual cleaner all mothers products do a fine job but not up to the standard i want and get from 3M,PPG,Magnum Top Gear,Farecla,Omikron,Blue Magic,Malco and Autosol. Have you used Mothers` QD?

If not, what is the point of this post other than to promote Omikron and the other products you list, as you are so often wont to do?

iceman
07-26-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Have you used Mothers` QD?

If not, what is the point of this post other than to promote Omikron and the other products you list, as you are so often wont to do?

Hey Brian,

Mother`s stuff is on sale at Crappy Tire. The 473ml bottle of Showtime is 7.39.

Other stuff I saw at Crappy Tire is the Jacques Villeneuve stuff by Sonax.

They had:

2 in 1 Car Wash 500ml for 8.99

1 Step Polish and Wax 500ml for 12.99. It says the wax in this will protect for several weeks and to use the carnauba wax for extended protection. But I didn`t see the carnauba wax!:nixweiss

Rim/Wheel Cleaner 500ml for 9.99

Foaming Tire Cleaner and Gloss 363g for 9.99

Don`t know why Villeneuve would come out with car care stuff now, about 6 years after he would have been more marketable as F1 World Champion. Also, why would Sonax make a deal with him? I think if they could have swung a deal with Michael Schumacher, the stuff would fly off the shelves more. Current World Champion... German manufacturer with a Germaun driver...