PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar - Lube with hose....

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Luster
07-25-2003, 07:48 AM
A good friend and fanatic detailer told me to use this method when claying and I`d never go back to using the QD method or the Car-Wash-n-Water method.

1. Thoroughly wet the clean car with water from the hose.

2. Keep the hose running with a very light stream (low pressure) and clay while the hose is running water onto the painted surface.

He says you can clay the car twice as fast and it lubes better.

I tried this method and it seemed to work. (Surface was as smooth as glass.)

Has anyone used this method?

Are there any negatives to doing it this way?

LOTA OT
07-25-2003, 08:11 AM
Never tried that. Is there any benefit to using this method over claying right after you`ve washed a panel and using the car wash soap mixture as lube?

Michael

JoshABI
07-25-2003, 08:15 AM
Interesting....certainly saves money over the QD method. At least for those of us not living under water restrictions.

imported_CBX Carl
07-25-2003, 09:09 AM
That the method I use and It work well. I have a plastic hose handle with a mist setting which suits claying pretty well.

everner
07-25-2003, 10:24 AM
I have done it"Water only" and found it to be better than with a QD spray. By better, I mean smoother- faster, works instead of slipping on the QD. I just keep the area wet-wet, like as if I was Color Sanding. A plus, the clay(mothers) seems to hold and fold better, then if loaded with QD.

boywonder
07-25-2003, 11:17 AM
I have done this with excellent results. :D

iceman
07-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by mpauly

Never tried that. Is there any benefit to using this method over claying right after you`ve washed a panel and using the car wash soap mixture as lube?

Michael

I guess you can just keep going from panel to panel without having to stop to rinse off individual panels once you finish claying? Also no risk of having the soap or QD drying into spots or streaks on the paint surface before you can rinse off, it would seem. I`ve thought about doing this before but was concerned whether the lubrication with continuous running water would be adequate. I may have to try this next time.

Patrick
07-25-2003, 06:37 PM
IMO, not is it the best, but the only way.....I wash 1st, rinse, then keep surface wet with hose and just lay the clay in the palm of my hand and clay away.....Folding occasionaly as needed. The only downside is if the cars surface is really polutted, you will have too much lubricant, and not enough clay will touch the surface for removal....It really helps when you can feel the cars surface on the palm of your hand, helps guide your efforts....

jerry@robs
07-25-2003, 10:03 PM
In my experience a clay bar with too much water tends to break off and render the bar unusable...

Patrick
07-25-2003, 10:33 PM
Break ? I didnt even know clay bars could break.....Ive never heard of such a thing !

TortoiseAWD
07-26-2003, 07:15 AM
Patrick,

I think "break down" might be a better way to put it . . . The couple of times it has happend to me, the clay begins to get soft and porous and not hold together as it should. This could be for a couple of reasons; the clay may not be reacting well with the QD or car shampoo be used as a lube, or it may be from folding too much liquid into the clay.

I`ve found the latter to be the cause of my problem; since I`ve started to dry my clay before folding (just dab the business side on a clean MF or even my shirt ot remove the bulk of the lube), I haven`t had a return of the "squishies".

Tort

everner
07-26-2003, 07:52 AM
If the clay isn`t breaking down, as Tort described, but rather breaking apart, it could be from too cold water, causing the clay to get hard enough to break. Ever try using clay on a cold morning? It`s not the thing to do....

DaGonz
07-26-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by rek

If the clay isn`t breaking down, as Tort described, but rather breaking apart, it could be from too cold water, causing the clay to get hard enough to break. Ever try using clay on a cold morning? It`s not the thing to do....

I have been known to put my clay in the microwave for 25 to 30 seconds to "warm it up" on cold days.

I have never used the hose method. I wash, rinse, then clay using a fresh batch of car wash soap and water, doing a panel at a time, then rinsing.

greathuskie
07-26-2003, 03:00 PM
its actually ALOT easier to soap the car up then do it, not with straight water but i use meguairs gold class car wash, get the whole car soaped up, use the clay, wash the car again, works like a charm, not too much water and no hassle of using QD

Patrick
07-26-2003, 06:52 PM
Ive never had to rewash again, its interesting what people do or find necessary to do....One of the tricks of detailing is knowing short cuts, thats why i never use QD`s or soaps.....But if they find those things valuable to there process, all is well......;)