PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick the right clay

Pages : [1] 2 3

Beason
07-25-2003, 01:48 AM
Which clay bar is better? The price evens out to be about $10 dollars a bar. If anyone else knows of a place where you can just get claybars with no lube let me know. I got tired of buying Clay Magic Clay and ending up with about 5 bottles of lube. I just want the clay bar it self. Here are two i have found. Which one? or any others?

Pinnacle PolyClay (http://www.properautocare.com/pinpol.html) or Meguiar`s Overspray Clay (http://www.properautocare.com/megovclay.html)

JasonC8301
07-25-2003, 02:01 AM
I have used Meguiar`s Overspray clay before. I don`t care for it. It does its job, making the surface smooth but smudges and leaves behind residue that I can see (white residue on finishes that are not light.) Avoid this clay if possible.

I have not tried Pinnacle`s clay. So no comment.

Clay Magic makes 200 gram bars of their blue clay or if you need it red clay, but the blue colored clay is what I recommend the red clay leaves a good haze. www.tacscar.com sells Clay Magic in 200 gram sizes.

I know Mother`s packages their clay in 6 ounce sizes I think, contact forum member forrest for more info.

I have Zaino`s clay up on the chopping block tomorrow. I will post results, the size is 160 grams in two bars (5.6 ounces.) Reminds me of Mother`s 80 gram bar X2.

Jason

chris0626
07-25-2003, 02:31 AM
I too have been frustrated that you can`t buy many clays without the lube.

Hey, DavidB, weren`t you planning to sell the clay separate from the Glide-Block-Waffle kit?

Spilchy
07-25-2003, 08:01 AM
I like 3M clay. It works well and is a nice size block. The Mother`s is nice too, but I find it too small. I have never tried Clay Magic.

The most popular here seem to be Mother`s, Clay magic and Autopian block found here: Clay Linky (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/glblwa.html)

Glossequation
07-25-2003, 08:07 AM
A vote for ClayMagic!!

LOTA OT
07-25-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Lynn

I too have been frustrated that you can`t buy many clays without the lube.

Hey, DavidB, weren`t you planning to sell the clay separate from the Glide-Block-Waffle kit?

The funny thing is with clay magic is you can buy a 100g block with the lube from most autoparts stores for under $10, but a 200 gram block without the lube goes for $24. Plus I`ve only seen the 200g block in the web, so add in shipping.

I`ve only used clay magic and haven`t really been compelled to try another. Cheap, redilly available, works well and doesn`t dry out if you store it in a baggie.

Michael

PakShak
07-25-2003, 08:53 AM
Hi Beason,

There are actually different grades (aggressiveness) of clay you may want to take into consideration. Usually they are differentiated by color. Some variance between vendors who market and sell clay. But these are usually the standard colors of clays that you can find in the stores or professional detailing shops.

purple or red - most aggressive (body shop - bad overspray)

light blue - aggressive (normal - fall out, light overspray)

light grey - least aggressive (ideal for black cars - minimizes scratches)

The trick to using a clay bar is making sure that the clay bar is gliding across the paint surface. So make sure the paint surface is well lubricated.

I believe there are only 1-2 manufacturers that actually produce the clay on a grand scale for Clay Magic, Clear-Brite, ProWax, and others.

With Aloha,

Ranney :)

JoshABI
07-25-2003, 09:08 AM
Beason, if you are looking at those two, I would get the Pinnacle. Stay away from Meguiar`s clay...I can`t stand that stuff. Clay Magic is good, but I really like the Pinnacle. 3 bars for around 25 bucks is a pretty good deal too. If I don`t have Pinnacle around then I reach for the Clay Magic.

imported_indy
07-25-2003, 09:32 AM
The Autopia Glide, block, waffle kit is what I`ve used. I think

it works great. The Glide and Clay are available individually too.

Bobby G
07-25-2003, 09:37 AM
Who would want to buy a whole kit if all you need is the lube or a bar?

gnahc79
07-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Mother`s Clay!!!!! :D

Seriously, the Mother`s clay kit is nice for ~15. I love their Showtime QD (~$5-6 by itself) and the clay bar is good.

I`ve used claymagic on 5 cars and the clay bar works well. However, I`m not a fan of the claymagic lube...had some issues with it a while back and I now wash & clay at the same time anyways.

GreenArrow
07-25-2003, 12:04 PM
Check out 3M site for their blue clays. It`s similar to ClayMagic (i.e. nice soft clay that`s easy to work with (in fact, I think it`s the same clay, but don`t know for sure). You get 3 bars for $21. I don`t know the size of each clay because 3M gives the weight in ounces and not in grams. Also, I don`t know if one has to buy 6 cases at $21 per case or if each case can be purchased individually. Maybe some Autopians can get together to purchase a bulk order of 6 cases? :)

kbshadow
07-25-2003, 12:08 PM
I have used only two.

Mothers and mcguires.

Mcguires was terriable and stained my paint, Mothers was great.

Bob

Stockton Ca

LOTA OT
07-25-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by GreenArrow

Check out 3M site for their blue clays. It`s similar to ClayMagic (i.e. nice soft clay that`s easy to work with (in fact, I think it`s the same clay, but don`t know for sure). You get 3 bars for $21. I don`t know the size of each clay because 3M gives the weight in ounces and not in grams. Also, I don`t know if one has to buy 6 cases at $21 per case or if each case can be purchased individually. Maybe some Autopians can get together to purchase a bulk order of 6 cases? :)

OK, I checked out the site and called to confirm. It`s 6 jars (each with a 200g bar) per case. You must order a whole case, but it`s only $21....and free shipping.

If it`s just as good as clay magic, at this price I might have to buy some.

Michael

B-Lexusfan
07-25-2003, 04:16 PM
I recently used the Zaino clay for the first time. I was apprehensive being that it was my first time ever claying a car. The process went smooth and left my paint smooth. I`d recommend Zaino`s clay although it was rather pricey compared to other`s.