PDA

View Full Version : Whats some good swirl removers i can use by hand??

darrinb
07-24-2003, 11:11 PM
I dont have any ecperience w/ buffers so i was wondering whats the best swirl remover i can use by hand. I have z-5 but it needs like 3+ coats to get rid of major swirls, what can i use that will take out alot of swirls w/ one coat?

If i do have to use a buffer can somebody reccomend me one and send me a link to some instructions and tips on how to use it?

Thanks alot

Darrin

Jngrbrdman
07-24-2003, 11:41 PM
There really isn`t one. Any effective swirl removal is going to have to be done by machine unless you are Superman. Scottwax is the only person I know to be able to get the kinds of results he gets by hand. He is a big guy who has been doing it for years, though. Definitely not something you can just jump in and do. He has spent years developing the muscles to do that kind of work.

I would suggest using something like Meguiar`s #9. That is probably about the best one to be used by hand. You could always try filling them with a glaze like #7 too. Totally removing them is tough even for a machine to do. I don`t know that by hand you will get much accomplished if that is your goal.

DopeCelicaGT
07-25-2003, 12:00 AM
I tried removing mine by hand today and I think I got most of them for the most part but it was a hella lot of work by hand and I only did the top surfaces of the car the ones most visible, ran out of daylight to do anymore! I used 3M Finish Restorer, then Meg. Body Scrub, tehn #7 Meg. Glaze, then #26 wax and the fact that some ofthe swirls could be just filled I hope they are removed but without taking the ca outside before using the #7 I will not know until it wears off!

darrinb
07-25-2003, 12:05 AM
ok, i guess i`ll try meg 9

shaf
07-25-2003, 02:10 AM
If you have "lots of bad swirls" you may want to step up to something strong-ish like DACP or 3M FCRC. As far as I know, these work by hand - they`re just lots of work. If you`re not sure how bad your swirls are, try #9, but just be aware that it`s a very mild product.

Oh yes, and make sure you don`t just gently lay the stuff on like a wax or something..... Good luck!

meGrimlock
07-25-2003, 08:33 AM
The 3M FCRC bottle says that you can use it by hand with a terry towel/applicator. I have not tried it that way yet, but it would be interesting to see the results. If using that by hand you will definitely need something like #9 to help get rid of any haze left over.

M-M
07-25-2003, 08:51 AM
My suggestion would be, bite the bullet and and pick yourself up a PC. I haven`t heard of one person who bought one and regreted it.

I spent months trying to remove swirls by hand, and I was never able to make any improvement. To tell you the truth I think I might have made them a little worse.

Look over at Coastal tool they have a good deal

Coastal PC link (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+zwzm4563ffaa22aa+1059188958)

after that just do alot of searching, theres a video showing proper usage around here somewhere.

imported_rachelanne16
07-25-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by ERIK

Look over at Coastal tool they have a good deal

Coastal PC link (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+zwzm4563ffaa22aa+1059188958) Nice tool site! Very helpful P-C info page (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/skinny.htm?L+coastest+zwzm4563ffaa22aa+1059193354) , too. I have been tracking prices for a while, now and that is the lowest I`ve seen yet, considering all that is included. I may just take the plunge. :D

hondaguy2582
07-25-2003, 09:23 AM
get the pc. unless your scottwax, you will wear yourself out doing it by hand, and its much harder to get results without using a machine.

Accumulator
07-25-2003, 12:03 PM
If you`re up to the physical challenge, I`ve had good results using both 3M`s FCRC and PI-III MG by hand. Here`s the LINK (http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=3825) for the MG, they also have the RC (look around their site). They DO work even better with a PC, or at least EASIER...