PDA

View Full Version : Working with Meg`s #26 paste; my experience

JustinR32
07-24-2003, 09:20 PM
We got a lot of info from Mike over the last few days. I felt the need to turn imagination into experience, so I decided to polish up the wifemobile.

It had last been done over the weekend of the 4th, with Liquid Souveran: for those interested, LS is an easy to use "wipe on / wipe off" wax that gives a vibrant shine, very reflective and (dare I say it?) expensive looking:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/3620dscf0007-med.jpg

However, like all things "Souv", 3 weeks is a long time. It still held a bead, but I`m an Autopian now... the fact that it`d been 3 weeks since the last waxing was reason enough for me to do it again!

I applied the #26 (plastic jar version) as Mike instructed, in a thin layer, evenly, to the entire car. My method for getting a light, even coat is to saturate the pad, apply, and then re-wax the pad whenever I feel it start to "drag". I then allowed it to haze for 20 minutes. Well, actually, I did the tires and windows while waiting, which turned out to be 10 minutes. The entire car appeared to be "hazed". It was easy, at that point, to see where it was on too thick; it had a "cake icing" look in those areas.

I polished the #26 off with a Koala towel instead of a MF (per Mike`s instructions). Here`s where it gets interesting. In the places where it was on too thick, or where it hadn`t set long enough, it was a real SOB to get off. However, over most of the car, it pretty much wiped right off, no problem. No, it`s not as easy to use as LS, but in return it`s much easier to see where you`ve been working, because of the hazing, and there was absolutely NO streaking.

The results? My first impression is that #26 is not quite as reflective as LS, nor perhaps as deep, but it has a very elegant look to it. LS makes the Malibu look like a more expensive car than it is, but #26 makes it look like a better car than it is:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/3620dscf0037-med.jpg

Even in the different light, you can see the difference in gloss and reflectiveness. Yes, these are nuances, but let`s face it, there are a lot of truly excellent products out there, and nuances and perceptions of nuances are what makes us prefer one product over another.

I was about ready to close the book on #26; I opened the door to get in and pull the Malibu into the garage, when I noticed a slight haze on the windshield, the windshield that I`d already cleaned. I thought for a second, then I got a clean Koala towel and rebuffed the entire car; IMO, this brought up another level of shine that wasn`t there before. I believe that it can be seen in the following picture, even taking into account the waning daylight:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/3620dscf0038-med.jpg

WOW!

IMO, this reduces considerably the difference in appearance between LS and #26. There is still a difference, but neither is better, it`s just what you prefer. I could live with either. One is easier to use (LS), one is cheaper (#26). I`m keeping them both.

Tom

2wheelsx2
07-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Good work, Tom. Dang! I guess there`s reason why #26 is not in the consumer line. Used correctly, it can produce very respectable results. Incorrectly, it can be a PITA. Thanks for the writeup! :xyxthumbs

switerajaya
07-24-2003, 09:45 PM
Mosca, That is one very wet looking ride. :xyxthumbs Great write up. Makes me want to *open* and use the bottle of LS I have. I`m assuming the top pic is of LS.

imported_indy
07-25-2003, 09:48 AM
I`ve used #26 for some time now, and like many found it

difficult to remove if I did the whole car. But after reading

and trying Mike`s techniques I was able to do the whole car

at once and it took half the time and half as many towels

to wipe down. I`m a much happier #26 user now thanks to

Mike.:xyxthumbs

everner
07-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Mosca, You did a swell job on the "Wifemobile"-I like that term! The final shot proves what mike said, "Use the technique as described for #7"., and use TC. Wonder what a second coat would do for it........

JustinR32
07-25-2003, 11:06 AM
Honestly, the car looked even better this morning, if that`s possible. I`m very impressed with this product. I didn`t have the camera on the way out the door, though.

Tom

Mike_Phillips
07-25-2003, 12:54 PM
Just to clarify.

Terrycloth and Microfiber both have their place.

Meguiar`s offers a number of microfiber polishing cloth products that include bonnets for foam pads when using the Porter Cable DA

The benefit terry cloth toweling offers is found in the "Nap".

The word nap refers to the little loops of cotton fiber.

Most of the polyester/polyamide blend microfiber polishing cloths I have seen do not have a loop-style nap.

It is my opinion, that these little cotton loops, act to slice into, the layer/film/coating of product, helping to break it up, or as I like to describe the action... the nap disrupts the continuous layer of wax, (or whatever the product you are trying to remove is).

Microfiber polishing cloths work great right after you have removed the majority of product.

Of course that all depends on the product and the thinness, (or thickness), of the layer.

The thinner the layer, the easier it is to remove with Microfiber.

(This is in my opinion, because with a thin layer... there is less film that needs to be disrupted)

The thicker the layer, the easier it is to remove with Terrycloth.

(My experience teaches me that the larger, loop shape of the fiber offers the ability for the nap to slice into thicker layers and thus disrupt the continuous layer of product)

High quality Microfiber polishing cloths easily outperform 100% cotton, terry cloth towel when it comes to removing smears, streaks, and oily/waxy residues sitting on top of highly polished/smooth surfaces.

Microfiber technology also dramatically reduces towel inflicted scratches. (That’s why I like to start with terry cloth to get most of the product off, and then switch to microfiber to reduce scratching and easily and quickly remove what’s left.

In the beginning of the process, the terry cloth towel is mostly coming in contact with, product, and the product is acting as a sort of barrier, (sometimes a lubricating barrier, depending on the product), between the nap and the surface. Once most of the product is removed, if you were to continue to use the towel, the nap will instantly come into direct contact with the surface, thus the switch to a material that is more gentle to the surface, i.e. microfiber.

Does this make sense?

Sometimes, using a combination of wiping materials provides optimum results versus using only one type of wiping material.

Wifemobile... yeah I like that one!

JustinR32
07-25-2003, 01:29 PM
This morning, the paint had a really great "shell" look to it; very impressive, very attractive.

MFs are great, but I don`t think they have anything on the Koala soft towel. That thing is awesome.

One thing I wanted to mention, but forgot as I wrote and edited: Total time spent applying, waiting, and removing was about an hour. Not bad.

Tom

Mike_Phillips
07-25-2003, 01:43 PM
Looks good to me...

Something one of the chemists told me that I thought was interesting as it relates to Meguiar`s waxes is that it takes at least 24 hours before the polymers, (and other ingredients), in the wax have, "fully set-up". (his term, not mine).

That doesn`t mean it takes 24 hours, it just means it can take up to 24 hours.

That also doesen`t mean leave the wax on their for 24 hours.

Just a tid bit I thought I`d pass on...

(I know we don`t don`t perform any durability tests until after 24 hours has passed).

FWIW

imported_Larry A
07-25-2003, 08:44 PM
Some waxes look better after the first wash.

shaf
07-25-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Looks good to me...

Something one of the chemists told me that I thought was interesting as it relates to Meguiar`s waxes is that it takes at least 24 hours before the polymers, (and other ingredients), in the wax have, "fully set-up". (his term, not mine).

That doesn`t mean it takes 24 hours, it just means it can take up to 24 hours.

That also doesen`t mean leave the wax on their for 24 hours.

Just a tid bit I thought I`d pass on...

(I know we don`t don`t perform any durability tests until after 24 hours has passed).

FWIW Thanks for mentioning this Mike, for #26 as well as the implication it has for other waxes that may have polymers of some kind blended into them (which I think is probably common?).

Since this comes from one of your chemists, this info also gives us nice reinforcement that for many polymer sealant products (Klasse being the most famous example) the 24 hour curing time guideline isn`t just some random notion that came out of nowhere. :xyxthumbs

I think it also helps explain (or confirm) why some people have noticed that some waxes tend to look better after a day or more than when it was freshly applied...

Interesting stuff! :cool:

crooper
07-25-2003, 09:29 PM
is that a baby toy under the car in the first pic?

JustinR32
07-25-2003, 09:46 PM
From the side of the jar: "Contains polymers, resins, and silicones for easy wipe on, wipe off, and deep gloss durability."

I was going to send this to Mike as a PM, but I felt that it would be better to share it publicly:

Mike,

I`d like to share this with you.

I came home from work this evening, and after a few minutes of checking the mail, catching up, etc, I went out into the garage to putter. Mary Joan came out and said to me, "Great job on my car. It looks FANTASTIC!"

She has never said that before, not when I used Gold Class, not when I used Zymol, not when I used Liquid Souveran. Heck, usually she just looks at me cleaning the car and shakes her head sadly.

Honestly, I believe that the #26 looks just super. It really looks awesome after setting a day. When I say the car in the garage this morning, I almost caught my breath, it was so beautiful. I just tried to capture the look using the halogens, but it`s too elusive with artificial light and digital imaging. What it has is a "harder" shine than the Pinnacle product that I`m used to, a hard shine that really rewards that shape and color. I enjoy having it in my repertoire, and I plan on sharing it with the rest of my car club. It`s definitely a product that makes one question the value of the high-priced stuff.

Tom

jerry@robs
07-25-2003, 10:52 PM
i have both a love and hate thing with 26... i like it on red, blue and green... not on black and white, though... i get light hazing (smears like as if you`ve just wiped some oil on the paint) that is a pain to remove... Note that I`m pretty sure that I applied it thinly... but in most cases, if I apply with with an RO, it`s fine..