PDA

View Full Version : Need A Little Help

TPG013
07-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Detasiled my black 4Runner last week but wasn`t very pleased with the results.

I did a dawn wash

clay magic

vanilla moose

s100

I noticed some swirl marks on the hood so I went to Meguires SMR but the results were the same. I used the yellow pad on the PC and theswirls weren`t all that deep.

What did I miss here? Is the Vanilla Moose not ment for reducing swirls how come the SMR did just as poor of a job?

Any help is appreciated.

Jngrbrdman
07-23-2003, 02:54 PM
SMR is pretty mild stuff. More fillers than anything else. Did you rewash the car and do the vanilla moose and S100 after you used the SMR? You might want to use something a little higher on the scale when doing swirl removal on Black.

TPG013
07-23-2003, 02:57 PM
I didn`t rewash. Should I have? What`s a better SMR to use?

2wheelsx2
07-23-2003, 03:09 PM
DACP is a good one if you want to use the Meguiar`s line. 3M has an equivalent, but I am not familiar with it.

Jngrbrdman
07-23-2003, 03:10 PM
Well, SMR is about a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10. There are a lot of other products you could use. On black I would start with something like DACP or whatever the 3M equivilant is (PI-II I think. FI-II is a little more mild I believe. I`m not a 3M guru so you`ll probably want to verify that). Black is a rough color and usually needs something a little tougher than just regular 3M SMR when you start out. You could use SMR to maintain the swirl free finish, but to get it there you might have to use something a bit more abrasive. SMR is more of a filler product and doesn`t do a whole lot on actual swirl removal from my experience. Meguiar`s #9 is a similar product. Very useful, just not for tough swirls.