PDA

View Full Version : Applying 3M Finish Restorer?

DopeCelicaGT
07-23-2003, 12:36 AM
Would somebody please explain the proper way to apply 3M finish Restorer? Its the stuff they recommend using after wet sanding, however I have been using it to remove swirls and such, it seems to do a good jo but only last for awhile, it acts like a filler to me however it is supposed to actually cut the clear down to get rid of th scratches. I have used this stuff about 3 times within the last year, also been doing it by hand cause it says it can be used with either an orbital or by hand, but 4dsc I believe is his name on here told me that I really needed to use this with a machine cause I am probably not removing or cutting enough to get rid of the swirls in fact I may have been even causing more, anyway my question is can somebody please explain the best steps to use this stuff, thanks!!! I am thinking of going an pruchasing a PC 7424 I believe is the number but would my regular waxmaster do the trick for this or not??? These swirls I am speaking of by the way are most likely just swirls caused from washing over the past year!!! Thanks for any and all help!

DopeCelicaGT
07-23-2003, 09:37 PM
same here?

imported_chr9s
07-23-2003, 10:53 PM
You apply it as you would a cleaner wax.

shaf
07-24-2003, 02:16 AM
Well seeing as how it`s pretty aggressive for a wax, I would just forget the "wax" part all together and just treat it like any polish like #9, DACP, etc etc. You`re trying to get rid of defects with it, so you have to work it in, just like all those other abrasive products.

I don`t think you have to use it by PC or something (did I say that? :p) but it would certainly help. Elbow grease is the alternative.

DISCLAIMER: I`ve never actually used Finish Restorer, but you seem to be in a pickle. :p Did any of the past threads discussing it help any?

imported_chr9s
07-24-2003, 03:40 AM
I`ve tried it, and comparatively, it`s not as much as work as you would using DACP, SMR or PI-III MG. Theveed mentioned that this product is more chemically agressive than it is abrasive, so that could probably be the reason why it requires less work than a polish. To some extent, this product is indeed agressive enough to leave a haze, especially on dark colored paints. It`s more of a chemical cleaner than a polish methinks.

imported_Larry A
07-24-2003, 09:26 AM
3m finish restorer is the same as medium oxidation remover.Rub it in very good and wipe it off before it drys, follow with a straght wax