PDA

View Full Version : My family, girlfriend, and friends call me a ******* regarding my new `03 IS300!

Pages : [1] 2 3

HybridKOOP
07-22-2003, 07:39 PM
Hello everyone... as you probably can see, I am a newbie to the site... and was astonished to find others around the world who are just as obsessed with cleaning their vehicles as I am! :bounce

I recently purchased a 2003 Lexus IS300 (in a very metallic deep-blue color), and after reading alot of posts on this site over the past week, I was pumped up to get a hold of some good products and begin a good base on the paint to keep it protected and shining for years to come.

My plans were to Dawn, clay, Z2, then S100 the car... I even contemplated picking up a new PC to have around for when I need it down the road.

Here is my dilemma. I have ran this plan by my family, my girlfriend.. and my girlfriends brother who owns a `02 BMW 330ci and they all swear that I am insane for using the clay, and ANY other product aside from a regular wax on a new car. They are all telling me that I`m about to dive deep into the layers of paint and wear it out before it`s even a year old. I try to defend myself and convince them that:

1) The clay will aid in removing contaminants from the boat ride over from Japan, and dealer products... leaving a clean surface prepped for the Z2...

2) That the Z2 is NOT an abrasive that will remove clearcoat layers...

3) That a "motorcycle" wax is fine to use on a brand new Lexus.

What do you all think about this? Do any of you see a legitimate arguement from their side? Isn`t my plan for the car safe and suggested by you all in an effort to keep the mirror finish that the car presently has since it`s new?

Any inputs appreciated. Thanks all! :xyxthumbs

- Louis

HybridKOOP
07-22-2003, 07:41 PM
By the way, here is a picture of my baby that I`m speaking of :D

http://www.endlesstrance.com/images/isrear1.jpg

C. Charles Hahn
07-22-2003, 07:48 PM
here`s the thing- if anything, you`re doing LESS prep work than I would be caught doing on the car. The clay may create micro-marring in which case you may want an abrasive to remove those scratches.

The Z2, as you stated, is NOT abrasive, nor is Z5.. They are polymer sealants and not polishes (yes, I know they`re called "showcar polishes" but they really are just sealants) but still its fine.

That "motorcycle wax" you`re talking about is identical to its brother P21S, the automotive wax. Only difference is the price. Basically the paint used for motorcycles is the same stuff used to paint cars.

So yes you`re perfectly sane, tell anyone who doubts it to come here and do their own bit of research- we`ll set `em straight. And, like I said, you may find that you will want to do additional prepwork than what you specified.

Remember that the majority of mild-medium abrasives won`t take away enough of the car`s paint to make a huge difference or "wear it out in less than a year." it takes years of using an abrasive like that on a regular basis to destroy a paint finish.

Example: My neighbor has been using the meguiar`s deep crystal 3-step system on his van (with a RO-polisher)since he bought it in 1995. That van currently has all of its paint intact (its a 93 model van) and is just as good looking as any I`ve seen polished once with harsh abrasives and a rotary. Point here is, you aren`t going to harm your paint if you treat it with care.

C. Charles Hahn
07-22-2003, 07:50 PM
additionally, since you posted it while I was typing my response- Nice ride!! :xyxthumbs

oh, and welcome to autopia!

HybridKOOP
07-22-2003, 07:52 PM
Thanks for such a quick informative reply! :up

Would you mind shedding some light on what you`d change about the prep work that I had planned to do? I`m allll ears about this stuff... I`m obviously very new to it.

On vehicles prior to this one, I would always just use a regular car wash, then maybe a Meguiars polish, then Meguiars yellow liquid wax... I never knew there were so many other steps/products available...

- Louis

GoodnClean
07-22-2003, 07:54 PM
Congrats on the new car! I invite you to check out www.lexusownersclub.com, its a great forum for Lexus` enthusiasts. I myself have a brand new ES300.

First of all, trust what you read here about what products and techniques to use. I can safely say that these people, more than most I`ve met, really know what they`re talking about when it comes to auto detailing. There`s no way you can "burn through paint and wear it out" unless we`re talking a heavy compound and a rotary, all the time. Your friends and family simply don`t have the experience about this subject the good people here at Autopia do.

Come back at them with this, if all of these products are so harmful to the car, why did the Lexus dealership detail it before delivering it to you? And why do they employ a detailer on site?

Trust the folks here, they wont steer ya wrong.

GoodnClean
07-22-2003, 07:58 PM
I realize you were talking to Shiny, but I`ll go ahead and tell you what I did the first time I detailed my Lexus.

First I washed, used the Clay Magic, then I used 3M SMR to remove the swirls created by the dealer prep, and any marring created by the clay. Then I used P21S (same as S100) Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser, then applied two coats of Poorboy`s EX sealant (a competitor to the Zaino). Everything applied by PC. So far, thats all I`ve done, although I`m debating topping with the S100 wax.

C. Charles Hahn
07-22-2003, 08:03 PM
ok if it were me prepping that car, and judging from looking at the picture, I would do the following:

1) Dawn wash

2) Clay

3) Dawn wash

4) Meguiar`s #9, or possibly Meguiar`s ScratchX depending on severity of the micro-scratching/swirling if (likely) present

5) Wash with Zaino Z7 (dawn would be acceptable here again also)

6) 3x Z2 /w ZFX (or, for such a dark color I might choose Z5 for its swirl-fillers)

7) Top with 1 or 2 coats of S100

8) step back and admire your work

really you may find that you don`t need the SMR/abrasive step, but if you look at the car from varying angles under direct sun, chances are there are atleast some marks from when the dealer "detailed" the car, if not from the claying step. I generally do use a light abrasive just to be sure all the little imperfections are gone, or if I`m claying already-layered zaino I just put on 3x coats of Z5.

good luck!

HybridKOOP
07-22-2003, 08:03 PM
Interesting... I *did* notice a few spider-web looking lines on the hood at a severely critical angle on a very sunny day... I suspect that the dealer prep probably did this since I use 2 mits, 2 buckets, and dry the car with a leafblower then blot it with the Absorber :shocked

Would you guys suggest I add Z5 into the mix, and use a PC the first time around on the car? Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it!

- Louis

GoodnClean
07-22-2003, 08:09 PM
I`m certain thats what happened. I allowed the dealer to prep mine (pre Autopia) and they actually didnt do much to it, just some light swirls on the hood. Think about it this way, A: They`re not autopians, B: Time is money, gotta move the cars out C: They`re just not as careful about contaminated towels, pads and mitts as we are and D: 99% of customers won`t notice, and most of that 1% that does notice, won`t care so why should they?

Basically you`re not going to see much result here from the Z5 because it isn`t an abrasive, it just covers up the swirls. You`ll want to use something relatively light, but abrasive to remove them, so they wont keep haunting you. I just used the 3M SMR, for the same reason Shiny said above, just to make sure I started with a flawless finish all around. Then the GEPC brought up the gloss and removed any marring (there wasn`t any anyways). The 3M with the PC is just the ticket.

Deanski
07-22-2003, 08:53 PM
HybridKOOP,

Ah, another Lexus owner, and in Connecticut too! If you happen to see this: Deanski SC430 (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=9599&thumb=1) around the Merrit that would be me. It would have to be a sunny day, as it does not see rain!

Lexus dealer sent it to the "Swirl mark and scratch application department" when I took delivery.

I washed, clayed, polished my A off, followed by 4 layers of ZFX/Z5 and 4 layers of ZFX/Z2. Inside, tried Z5 on birds-eye maple as well.

As you may notice, I had Armorglove installed. The paint started getting stone/rock chipping in the first 15 days! Best thing you can do!

Get a PC! You`ll love how well you can polish out the finish! Without it, I`d still be traying to remove the swirls!

Just so you know, 3M PIII-MG, Menzerna-FP and a little Megs #3. Washed car with Dawn to remove oils. Dried with Calf Water Blade and waffel MF. Follow with Z7 wash, and again CWB/waffel, then Zaino.

There are so many products, it`s all subjective on what makes you happy on shine.

See you on the road!!

Regards,

Deanski

PGA2B
07-22-2003, 09:10 PM
HybridKOOP

Welcome, If you want to see swirls just put your car up to florescence or halogen lights....then you will see all the imperfections.

My 2ct. buy a PC, youll save a lot of time.

GoodnClean
07-22-2003, 09:39 PM
My PC is my best friend. He`s remembered in my will.

Even if I paid way too much for him from Meguiars :nixweiss Again, pre Autopia I knew no better.

Deanski
07-22-2003, 09:44 PM
GoodnClean:

You too? Gee that`s what I did several years ago! Bought the high-end kit with it. The one with all the Medallion products.

I thought I was the only one!

Just changed the weight last week. Much better now!!

Regards,

Deanksi

BillNorth
07-23-2003, 02:25 PM
In my experience, claying shouldn`t marr your paint if you use a dedicated piece for each section and throw it away when you`re done. This is what I do and have never gotten micro-marring from claying. I would caution against using any sort of abrasive polish on your finish every year, six months, etc. Your aim should be to remove the swirls once, and maintain the look with proper washing, drying, and claying, etc techniques.

I wouldn`t recco you look at your car under fluorescents. You`ll just torture yourself. No car can hold up to that type of scrutiny. No car will ever look perfect under fluorescents. Just be happy if your car looks good in "real world" conditions. Unless you enter it at shows, then its a different story.

JMHO, :-)