PDA

View Full Version : Gauge lens cleaning

imported_uber
07-22-2003, 06:11 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I did a search and couldn`t come up with much. Maybe my search techniques need refining.

Anyway, I just had the instrument cover (gauge lens) replaced on my new Acura because it was badly scratched in a swirl pattern. It was that way when I picked up the vehicle which is why it was replaced under warranty. I asked the technician not to clean it so now I have a perfect lens and want to keep it that way. My question is how do I keep it looking like new? MF towel with 20-20? Vacuum with a brush? Advice appreciated. Thanks.

Jngrbrdman
07-22-2003, 07:00 PM
Just don`t spray it with any of the dash protectant you use. That stuff stains the plastic sometimes.

I guess you could always get fancy and go buy some scrap Clear Bra material or Xpel or something. You could have it laminated with something else to protect it perhaps. I think that as long as you just dust it and don`t touch it with your fingers then you should be fine.

I bought some of those Swiffer towel things and that keeps the dust away nicely. I don`t even have to treat my dash very often. Most of the time its just dusty anyway.

Detailing NY
07-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Clearkotes Quick shine will work great for that.

NO streaks and you can use it on the rest of your windows, chrome and paint !!

Awesome product

GreenArrow
07-22-2003, 07:51 PM
I use Plexus, check here: http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/plexplasclea.html. I spray it on instrumental panel lens, taillight lens, headlight lens, and interior light covers and on window tint film. I buff it off with MF cloth. Plexus cleans the surface and minimizes light scratches.

For deeper scratches, I recommend Novus. You can buy the starter kit, check here: http://www.spadepot.com/products/005novus.htm.

Fixed link - Tort

Deanski
07-22-2003, 09:02 PM
I have some of the Megs Plastix and it works very well on hard plastic. It didn`t do squat for my Armorglove paint film, as it`s soft, but for anything hard plastic it works well. It`s a cleaner/polish in one.

I`d go with the film covering (Xpel, Amorglove, Stoneguard) and while you`re doing that, get some for the headlights. No more sandblasted lights!

I have Armorglove on my SC430, front air-dam, hood, headlights, fender by headlights, side mirrors, rockers and door cups. See it here: Deanski SC430 (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=9599&thumb=1)

I highlighted the Armorglove with polish at where it ends otherwise it`s hard to pick up in pics, let alone you have to be very close to the car to see it. Best investment I made!

Regards,

Deanski

show car
07-22-2003, 09:12 PM
Novus 1, Plexus would work best with good MF towel with VERY light presure..., just enough to polish.

I had a few scratches and hazy looking guages, after polishing with Novus 1 and 2 they look NEW:)

chris0626
07-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Yep. Novus 1 or Plexus for maintenanace of a new gauge cluster. And be SURE (as show car suggested) that you`re really using a good MF towel, not one of those el-cheapo WalMart MFs. :up

Jngrbrdman
07-22-2003, 10:51 PM
I still think that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Don`t touch the gauge pod and keep it dusted. You don`t need to use anything else if you keep it dusted. I`ve never used anything wet on my gauge pod because I just dust it. :nixweiss

wash_me
07-22-2003, 11:56 PM
When you vaccum be careful with those hog hair attachments, I think they can scratch instrumental panel if the vaccum attachemnts are dirty.

imported_uber
07-23-2003, 09:56 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the great input. I`m going to try dusting it with a VERY soft cloth then using Plexis with a MF cloth.

This forum deserves its reputation as the best and most helpful source of detailing information on the web. Thanks again.

01-11-2010, 03:08 PM
`06 Porsche 911. Gauge lens has some residue/adhesive and what looks like finger print stains. I tried some vinger and water no luck, then baking powder and water, again no change.

Anyone with ideas?

GS4_Fiend
01-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Meguiars interior quick detailed is what I use.