PDA

View Full Version : Ok, biting the bullet and getting PC & Pads...am I looking at this right?

JPS911
07-21-2003, 05:41 PM
Problem: 911 Dark Midnight Blue Metallic, dumbass body shop introduced swirlmarks.

Solution thus far: 3 applications of SMR dark by hand, 2 coats of Z5.

Net net...95% better, but this board exists because that last 5% isn`t good enough.

New solution: Buying PC 7424 Kit (thanks Brad for group buy...not sure if still in effect, but we`ll see).

Question: Pads. I`ve been reading until my eyes are bleeding, but still a bit confused. It looks like I need Yellow, White, Black. Do microfiber pads factor in here? I only use Microfiber & foam, unless taking out a scratch or something, then might use diaper and finish with microfiber.

Plan:

Swirl mark removal:

Start with white / SMR dark, and see how it goes

If no good, go to yellow / SMR and see

If no good, mix with some ScratchX / SMR on yellow. If that no good come back to board.

Assuming somewhere that got rid of them, come back to white/SMR for good measure

Dawn

Restart Zaino, using Black instead of by hand.

Maintenance:

Zaino with black pad, finish with microfiber.

Questions:

Does that make sense? Any improvements?

Thanks,

imported_indy
07-21-2003, 05:52 PM
I found this link very helpful when I first got into the Autopian

spirit and decided to purchase a pc.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1

dru85
07-21-2003, 05:58 PM
the group buy is over at Coastal Tool. I was the last guy to get it.:D

-sorry

Andrew

Deanski
07-21-2003, 06:28 PM
JPS911:

Good for you! Finally getting the PC! You`ll be very happy with it and thank yourself!

For swirls, some use a yellow cut pad (if swirls are bad/deep) and DACP. Or white and DACP followed by your fav. polish/glaze.

I`m using 3M PIII-MG and Mez/FP for final work. You can see it in Members Gallery, my SC430 under DEANSKI.

It`s really trial and error sometimes. You may find a product will remove swirls better than others.

SMR will fill swirls, but not remove. That`s OK as well if you use wax. If you use a sealant, best to remove them. I love 3M SMR and Megs #9 and/or SWP with #3 too. Really brings up the finish prior to wax.

SInce I see you`re going Zaino, get the swirls out! That`s #1.

After polsihing the finish and your really happy, wash the car again with Dawn to remove oils/silicone from polishes. Follow with Z7 to insure that any film that may be left from Dawn is gone.

Then, Zaino away! If you get streaks from the new ZFX/Z5, make up a batch of Z7 and water in a spray bottle. Use 1/2 cap and 12oz water, mix well and keep with you as you use ZFX/Z5. If streaks show when removing, spray some Z7 mix, wipe and you`re all set to continue. Z6 between coats.

You can see results in the Members Gallery, DEANSKI. Look for my red SC430 with the NEW Z5 Z2!

Enjoy the PC! You`ll love it!

Regards,

Deanski

JPS911
07-21-2003, 06:49 PM
PIII MG???

Deanski
07-21-2003, 06:55 PM
PIII- MG= 3M Perfect-it III Machine Glaze.

Check this: What the hell are they saying? (http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=acronyms.htm)

Regards,

Deanski

shaf
07-21-2003, 09:41 PM
Check out the link in my sig. Near the top of that thread there`s a link to a thread that Geekysteve wrote. Great reading. :up

russ968
07-21-2003, 10:31 PM
I`ll second the 3 M PI-III MG recommendations. I`d suggest you try the "Super" orange pads from CMA. I was a little intimidated with using a cutting pad (yellow) on my Porsche and opted for the orange pads and I`m very pleased with them.

Good luck and don`t forget to post pics...

Russ

Joe K -- 01 Green
07-22-2003, 10:38 AM
for us beginners --- indy`s link -- see above is one of the best explanations of this whole PC deal

SK2003TypeS
07-22-2003, 10:38 AM
JPS911,

I recently bought my 7424 from Coastal. No more Autopian discount, but they threw in the counter weight and 6" backing plate. I recently ordered my pads from topoftheline which will hopefully be here by the end of the week. I went with 3 white polishing and 4 black finishing (7.5" Lake Country). I also bought a couple of 6" white finising pads and 6 6" terry bonnets for removal, but I`m on the fence on whether or not I`ll use the PC for removal. A lot of people express that they use the PC primarily for application and buff out with MF or cotton by hand.

shaf
07-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Joe Klenotich

for us beginners --- indy`s link -- see above is one of the best explanations of this whole PC deal Actually, I have that link in my PC thread too (near the bottom) but I put Geekysteve`s OTHER article near the top because, IMHO, it`s a better explaination of the machine and what the big deal is. The link posted above is more of a "usage" article and should come later.

Here`s the link to the other article: http://www.roadfly.org/milemarker/7/porter_cable_buffer.1.html

JMO :wavey