PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with questions

rando
07-21-2003, 03:17 PM
I recently got my new car, a black 93 toyota supra. Black seems to be the hardest color to take care of from what I`ve heard. The paint is in pretty good condition considering its 10 years old now. So far I`ve purchased some zaino, claybar, and some microfiber towels as well as an absorber for car care. I have never done any car detailing stuff besides wash and waxing with my hands. It seems like to get ride of swirls and minor scratches some type of machinery will be needed, but I`m kind of scared. Any advice is appreciated, thanks

imported_phareous
07-21-2003, 03:55 PM
Do a search on here for porter cable...it is a random orbital buffer that everyone uses. Works good for swirls and minor scratches as well as cleaning paint.

Jngrbrdman
07-21-2003, 04:38 PM
I would also suggest clicking the "Learn" button on the top of the page. That will help out a lot I would wager. It will at least tell you enough that you`ll be able to know the questions you need to ask. I know how it is when you first start and don`t even know where to begin. Cruising around the site for awhile is the best thing you can do.

2wheelsx2
07-21-2003, 05:15 PM
Hello there Rando! :welcome

Deanski
07-21-2003, 06:41 PM
Rando:

Get a PC from Costaltool. Your new tool (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+lcls7456ffbb32bb+1058496012)

Go and get a good backing plate and pads from CMA: Pads and accessories (http://properautocare.com/porcabpolac.html)

Get some DACP, 3M PIII-MG and any other final glaze.

Check out all the forums and learn from all of our trials and errors.

Now, go have fun!

Regards,

Deanski

russ968
07-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Welcome Rando:

I`ll second the "Learn," PC recommendations as well as 3M PI-III for lighter swirl remover.

If the acronyms are getting to you I booked marked the following :)

http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=acronyms.htm (http://)

Good luck and post some pics!

R

rando
07-21-2003, 10:14 PM
I`ve read the stuff on learn and I`ve never used an orbital buffer before. So I would use the PC with the DACP then I could put some zaino on top? Also my car does not have a clear coat so should I treat it any differently?

Deanski
07-22-2003, 03:55 AM
No big problem having a non-clearcoated finish. The DACP is a very good cleaner and polish for defects and swirls that are all over. Some people get a little haze after DACP, but this can be removed to a high polish with 3M PIII-MG and or Megs #3 or other products as well.

Here is a good link to Zaino tips/tricks: Nick`s Unsolicited Tips and Tricks (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23601&highlight=Zaino+tips)

Once your done getting all swirls and defects out (remember Zaino bring out or highlights these things as it`s very clear) wash all oils off the finish with Dawn followed by Z7 wash. Dry and you`re ready for ZFX/Z5! This makes the finish ready for Zaino to bond correctly. Remember that Zaino is to be applied THIN. Think of the bottle costing $1000.00! If you do get streaking with the new Z5, I mixed up a batch of Z7 and water in a spray bottle (used mostly as clay lube) 12oz water, 1/2 cap Z7. Spray the streaked area and wipe off with your MF towel. DO NOT RUB HARD! Apply more spray (Z7/H2O) and wipe again. You don`t want to add more micro-marring by wiping too hard.

The PC is very forgiving and as you learn, you`ll understand it more on how it reacts with different cleaner/polishes with pads.

The best thing you could do after reading all the stuff here, post a picture of the finish in this thread so some of the members can also evaluate and comment and recommend what to use.

Just make sure you schedule enough time to do this, as I`ve seen too many people who are new at it get frustrated and rush it so they can go elsewhere. Take your time, enjoy your results as you go along. If you have access to a garage and can get a halogen work light that will assist you in checking your work as the light is VERY unforgiving and shows all. This way B4 you start, take the light on the area and look at it. Next, start your polishing, check again with the light. See the swirls diminishing? Great, next area. Don`t try to do a large area at once as well. Start small/stay small. Another pitfall on new users of the PC, they try to remove defects on say a whole hood at once. Look at the mfg sites as well, Meguiars, 3M, Clearkote, Poorboysworld, etc to get an idea on what these things do.

Enjoy the new way to deplete more money from your wallet! But results are well worth it.

Here`s my example: Deanski SC430 (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=9599&cat=500&thumb=1)

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Deanski

rando
07-25-2003, 07:23 PM
Hey, I just put on some zaino on my car, 3 coats of z5 and 2 of z2. While I was zainoing I noticed that my hood had quite a few hard water spots. I tried to get them out but couldn`t. I`ve heard that vinegar might work. After the zaino I couldn`t see them as much. Any other suggestions? thanks

Deanski
07-25-2003, 07:38 PM
Yes vinegar or baking soda to neutralize the area may help, but if it worked it`s way down, you may end up polishing it. You can "spot polish" the area to see if it will come out.

Are you using the new Z5 in the white bottle? Works very well, but mine did streak, which was not much of a streak.

Anyway, have fun and lear by looking though all the posts. Use the search to find what you are looking for.

And, if you get time, post a pic so others may assist and offer their expertise.

Regards,

Deanski

Accumulator
07-25-2003, 07:38 PM
rando- Welcome to Autopia. You`ve sealed the waterspots under your Zaino, so unless you want to redo everything, you might want to (try to) forget about them for now. When you DO want to fix the, if the vinegar doesn`t work (it`s acidic, that dissolves the minerals from the hard water- let it dwell on the surface for a while so it can do its thing), you might have to polish them out with something like the DACP or PI-III MG. Shouldn`t be a huge deal either way.

And yes, the PC is a good tool to have. Don`t worry about the learning curve.

rando
07-26-2003, 02:56 AM
I have the old z5. As I was driving today I noticed them as well on my windshield. If the vinegar does not work, is DACP with a PC the only method or is there a way by hand?

Deanski
07-26-2003, 05:48 AM
Winshield shouldn`t be as bad to remove.

You can remove by hand, it all depends on how deep the spots are. If it`s just mineral deposits, those are not too difficult as opposed to acid rain, which eats through clearcoat. It`s just much quicker with a PC.

If you don`t own a PC, yiu may want to obtain one. Not much money and you`ll thank yourself that you did get one. Best price seen is from CostalTool:

Porter-Cable (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+sfmh7612ffc220c2+1058186817)

You could spot polish the area by hand then re-apply Zaino in those areas if it`s not looking like measles. If the finish as then all over, best to try to remove all of the effected panel (hood, fender etc) and then re-Zaino.

Since you use Zaino, try to get the newer formulation. Z5 and Z2 were both updated and seem to be better in terms of gloss.

Take your time and you should be fine!

Regards,

Deanski

rando
07-31-2003, 09:25 PM
Well I just washed my car again I noticed them on various parts of the whole car. I don`t think I could use vinegar on the whole car. Should I buy some DACP and try by hand? thanks

Deanski
07-31-2003, 09:32 PM
Sure you can use DACP by hand, but it may not get the results. You may have to go a bit more agressive since you are doing it by hand. A good cutting compound will work, and you may want to try a chemical type cleaner prior, such as Meguiars Medallion Paint Cleaner, as most of the line (Medallion) is made for hand use.

Just follow up with a good glaze, and since you`re doing it by hand, Megs Hand Glaze or the 3M hand glaze will do very well.

Regards,

Deanski