PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s Number 9 - Greasy

vdub_guy
07-21-2003, 09:07 AM
This weekend, I decided to do a Meguiar`s workup on the car and ran into a problem.

After applying the DACP (#83) with a cutting pad, I proceeded to apply the #9 with the PC and a polishing pad. After I was done the hood, I noticed that there was a greasy residue leftover. No matter what I did, I could not get rid of it. I called the 800 number and they said that this happened becuase I let it dry. I was told that a 2X2 (foot) section should be worked for about 20 seconds and then buffed with a terry towel. I worked it for longer than what they suggested - and therefore I have the residue.

Question: I am using the Meguiars polishing pad and a PC. What speed should I set the PC at to apply the #9. Is the information that I got from Meguiar`s accurate? I searched and did not find that anyone had this issue - am I the only idiot that can`t apply #9?

paco
07-21-2003, 10:17 AM
PC usage.

- Some prefer to only use it at 6

- Some like to start of slow 2-4 and then bring up to 5.5 (just under 6 to avoid the excess vibration)

- Some run it at 5 for everything.

It really depends on your comfort level.

For SMR, I tend to run it at 4 for a little bit and then kick up to 5.5 and work it well.

The smearing could be also be a result too much product. I am a bit surprised about the drying comment. I`ve noticed that if No. 9 dries, then it`s can become a PITA to remove rather than it become oily.

Did you try spritzing it with distilled water and see if that help any in the removal? How about 50/50 water to IPA spritz? - That should help in the removal a bit.

20secs sound short but I`ve never really timed it. I probably work it 3-6x longer than that and haven`t had any problems.

Just curious, what the No. 9 old, did you shake it well before use, was it v2.0?

vdub_guy
07-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the info!!

I don`t think that the product was old. I bought it off the shelf at a relatively high volume shop. How do I tell if it is ver. 2? What is the difference?

Mike_Phillips
07-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Hi vdub_guy,

Doesn`t sound like any experience I have ever had with #9?

I have had it sort of "pile-up" and "Stick" really bad to the surface, but I have never really experienced an extra oily film that couldn`t be removed?

Have you tried using a Microfiber polishing cloth?

Microfiber is better at removing oily films than cotton.

Also, I know this goes with out saying, but... did you shake it up really well before and during use?

Another question... is this an old bottle or a newer bottle.

New bottle has the black label on the front with the aggressive scale, old bottle has a maroon colored label on the front.

It shouldn`t matter, because Meguiar`s products have a shelf life of 3-5 years as long as they don`t freeze.

For use with a PCDA, and a foam pad, use a setting between 4 and 5.

Hope this helps...

Mike

vdub_guy
07-21-2003, 10:26 AM
it seems to be an older bottle.

I will try your suggestions.

I have had a similar issue with Scratch X in the past too.