PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on what do do with this Prelude (see pic)

atldave
07-21-2003, 06:04 AM
I`m helping out a friend who just bought a Black `96 Prelude. He got a great deal on it ($3500) but the paint is in pretty bad shape. It sat outside under some pine trees for about the last year, and I doubt it was ever even waxed before then by the looks of it. It has a clear coat.

So here`s what I`ve done so far:

1) Washed many times with Tide to remove the inch of dirt on it.

2) Removed cracked (& ugly) silver pinstripes with blow dryer, fingernail, & Goo Gone.

3) Clayed - the paint was actually smooth after this step (except all the chips on the hood).

4) 3M Perfect It II Compound with Wool Pad on PC.

5) Mequiars SMR with Yellow pad & PC

6) Mequiars Deep Crystal Polish

7) Can`t get rid of water spots, so I try rubbing with vinegar

8) Washed so it wouldn`t smell like vinegar.

So the car is 100 times better than when it started. I just can`t get rid of what I think are waterspots and get it to shine.

I have a PC with many pads, but am I going to need a rotary to finish this?

Any products you can recommend? I`m wondering if something like DACP or Medallion paint cleaner would help. I`ve never used either.

Please take a look at the picture and let me know what you think.

atldave
07-21-2003, 06:15 AM
The Before Pic

atldave
07-21-2003, 06:18 AM
And here`s an after pic (so far) under a little more foregiving light.

atldave
07-21-2003, 06:20 AM
After pic of the hood under foregiving light.

imported_BretFraz
07-21-2003, 08:46 AM
The water spots are probably clear coat etching from acid rain and general neglect. I`m not sure what could be done with those short of wet sanding or hittin` them with a rotary and a wool pad.

Which PI2 compound did you use? You might have something stronger than DACP already. If you want to go up the ladder of aggressive products there are several from Meguiars and 3M.

Where in the ATL are you? I`ll give you some samples of Meg`s Diamond Cut and Compound Power Cleaner if ya want to spin by.

Spilchy
07-21-2003, 09:03 AM
Nice job so far!

I did a 1988 Accord with 225,000 miles on it this weekend in similar condition.

I washed, clayed, washed with vinegar.

Then I used Meguiars Medium Cut Cleaner with a yellow pad, DACP with a yellow pad, AIO with a white pad and then wax. I worked on a PC with a setting of 6 and worked until dry.

I would say 90% of the water spots, stain and blemishes were removed this way. There were paint chips, body rot and peeled paint in many places.

But, it looks a MILLION times better, but not pic worthy! But, I can see spider web scratches in the sunlight only.

If you want to start over, you may want to hit it with something like Medium Cut Cleaner. It`s a wonderful product. HOWEVER, major haze and dust accumulation.

atldave
07-21-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by bretfraz

The water spots are probably clear coat etching from acid rain and general neglect. I`m not sure what could be done with those short of wet sanding or hittin` them with a rotary and a wool pad.

Which PI2 compound did you use? You might have something stronger than DACP already. If you want to go up the ladder of aggressive products there are several from Meguiars and 3M.

Where in the ATL are you? I`ll give you some samples of Meg`s Diamond Cut and Compound Power Cleaner if ya want to spin by.

I used the blue PI II (Fine Cut) - I didn`t realize there were 2 with the same name almost.

A sample would be great - I live in Kennesaw, work near Sydney Marcus & N. Druid Hills. Let me know where-abouts you are and I`ll spin by.

I was looking around a little more after posting this and I`m thinking it`s acid rain and needs a wet sanding.

I`m sure there`s got to be a few threads about how to do that already.

atldave
07-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Spilchy

I washed, clayed, washed with vinegar.

Then I used Meguiars Medium Cut Cleaner with a yellow pad, DACP with a yellow pad, AIO with a white pad and then wax. I worked on a PC with a setting of 6 and worked until dry.

If you want to start over, you may want to hit it with something like Medium Cut Cleaner. It`s a wonderful product. HOWEVER, major haze and dust accumulation.

When you say wash with vinegar, do you dump some in a bucket and wash like normal, or full strength on a cloth or what?

Mequiars medium cut is more abrasive than the 3M Fine Cut I spose?

Nothing to start over really, I only polished and waxed the hood to see how it would end up, so I don`t mind starting over.

As far as I`m concerned, now that the pinstripe removal, washing, and claying is done, everything else is easy.

imported_BretFraz
07-21-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by atldave

I used the blue PI II (Fine Cut) - I didn`t realize there were 2 with the same name almost.

A sample would be great - I live in Kennesaw, work near Sydney Marcus & N. Druid Hills. Let me know where-abouts you are and I`ll spin by.

I was looking around a little more after posting this and I`m thinking it`s acid rain and needs a wet sanding.

I`m sure there`s got to be a few threads about how to do that already.

I`m in Gwinnett Co, in Lawrenceville off Hwy 316. If you`re gonna be in the area, send me a PM or email and we can try to synch up.

- - Bret - -

Spilchy
07-22-2003, 01:53 PM

When you say wash with vinegar, do you dump some in a bucket and wash like normal, or full strength on a cloth or what?

Mequiars medium cut is more abrasive than the 3M Fine Cut I spose?

Nothing to start over really, I only polished and waxed the hood to see how it would end up, so I don`t mind starting over.

As far as I`m concerned, now that the pinstripe removal, washing, and claying is done, everything else is easy.

Straight distilled white vinegar that I put in a cheap spray bottle. I let it sit for a few minutes, then rub it in with a wet kitchen sponge.

Heff
07-22-2003, 07:51 PM
Not bad so far, but to take it to the next level, you need a rotary, wool cutting pad, and Meg`s diamond cut.

Heff

shaf
07-23-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Heff

Not bad so far, but to take it to the next level, you need a rotary, wool cutting pad, and Meg`s diamond cut.

Heff Not unless you have to...

imported_capspackle
07-23-2003, 12:38 AM

So here`s what I`ve done so far:

1) Washed many times with Tide to remove the inch of dirt on it.

Ummm.. is it me, or did no one catch this.... WASH WITH TIDE???:scared Ummmm... is there a new autopian procedure I don`t know about which involves the use of Tide other than for washing MF towels? :nixweiss

atldave
07-23-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by PathfinderGuy

Ummm.. is it me, or did no one catch this.... WASH WITH TIDE???:scared Ummmm... is there a new autopian procedure I don`t know about which involves the use of Tide other than for washing MF towels? :nixweiss

Actually, someone on this board recommended it before in a thread that I read.

Liquid tide of course. Only for really really filthy cars. It`s very slick, more so than Dawn and does a good job on the really caked on stuff.