PDA

View Full Version : help - my first time

fogcity
07-20-2003, 12:08 AM
Hello,

I think this is my first post (and perhaps the most important one I`ll make): I need to wax my wife`s car and she`s scared to death I`ll put scratches and swirls in it!

Here`s the senario:

Car - 2000 Mercedes E320 Wagon

Color - Black

Miles - @30k

Condition - some good shine left from whatever the dealer did, some swirls if you look for them

She`s the third owner, we bought it off the lot as a Certified car (I mention this because it shows the paint is in excellant condition). Of course I have no idea what`s been done regarding detailing in the past, but now I`d like to give it a little protection with a coat of wax. The thing that I need to know is what is the easiest way to accomplish this without getting those feared swirls. I`m not a fannatic like you guys plus I don`t have a driveway to wash it in so I need the simple way. Basically, I want to wash it at the coin op, slap a coat of something on it (that I can get at the auto parts store), and be done in about 1 & 1/2 hours. Usually (to give you an idea of what`s "acceptable" to me) I just use that `Eagle One` Wax and Dry stuff that you spray on a wet car and wipe it dry.

Thanks you,

Dylan

shaf
07-20-2003, 05:18 AM
Hi Dylan, welcome to Autopia. :welcome

Boy, you`re making a tough proposition! I know that you want to keep things simple, but it also sounds like you want to keep it swirl free. These things aren`t mutually exclusive but it does require more thought.

Before I start, I encourage you to check out the articles in the Learn! link above - almost everything is covered in there and they make excellent knowledge primers. Among them is an article on the very important process of proper washing. Oh yes, use the Search feature too to help fill in any questions you have.

Keeping the car swirl-free is mainly a result of two things IMHO: Keeping things clean (not necessarily referring to washing the car), and using good, safe materials that won`t cause damage when they touch or rub your paint. This includes supplies such as wax applicators, buffing towels, wash mitt (important), and any drying media if you want to dry off the car (recommended). Plain foam applicators are fine, and most of the forum has turned to microfiber for buffing towels. DavidB`s article in Learn! should cover the washing/drying material options. Keep your materials clean before and during use, and keep the paint clean before touching it.

About your washing options. Using a coin op`s washing media, soap, etc. is generally considered a bad idea. I don`t know what your plans were going to be, but never use their brushes. The best thing to do is to find a place where you can use your own soap and washmitt, and basically just use their bay for rinse water. Mothers sells a spray soap called Trigger Wash that would be ideal for this type of situation. I don`t use it for this purpose, but I like using it nonetheless. Another great option (if the car doesn`t get really dirty) is Protect All`s Quick and Easy Wash (abbreviated QEW). This is a fast way to wash your car`s paint and will allow you to wash your car literally anywhere, like a wide parking spot for example, making it great for apartment dwellers. Run a search on this to get a better idea of how it works. I love this product too. :)

I highly recommend claying, but I don`t know if you want to do this extra step. It would result in less "junk" getting rubbed off onto your wax appllicators though....

A cleaner wax of some kind is probably best for this application. Mothers makes a few varieties that people like, like Reflections or Hot Wheels. Try a search for these or "cleaner waxes". EO Wax as you Dry is probably not the best as a stand-alone wax, but would probably work great to refresh and extend the life of a "real" wax coat that is applied less often. In general, synthetic and paste waxes usually last longer.

Hope that helped, you have a lot of options to consider and a lot of reading to do. Good luck!

ByndCln
07-20-2003, 12:56 PM
I would agree about 95% of that response. The only thing I would change is to not get a cleaner wax for the simple fact that they have abrasives,which makes them cleaner waxes. Most auto stores have meguiars and other brands of carnauba waxes that aren`t cleaners. You may also be able to find a polymer wax or two there. I honestly don`t think using one would be wrong but if your wife is worried......

shaf
07-20-2003, 03:02 PM
Well the reason why I think a cleaner wax is probably good in this application is because they don`t require a separate cleaing/polishing step. People shy away from cleaner waxes and the dreaded word "abrasives", but everything is relative. The amount and type of abrasives that they contain aren`t nearly enough to cause any kind of damage, and this mild polishing action is probably desirable for a car that may not be waxed as often or recieve "Autopian" type of preparation. Pure, cleanerless waxes have been known to be problematic if used on an unprepped surface. These reasons are why 95% of the waxes on store shelves tend to be cleaner waxes of some sort.

Now, if you want to get more enthusiastic about detailing and add more steps to the process, that`d be fantastic! But you did say that you weren`t a fanatic and my take on your situation is that you just want to do things "safely" and properly, yet keep things simple and quick. Am I off base?

ByndCln
07-21-2003, 01:14 AM
Honestly I totally agree, i was just looking at it from an Autopian point of view. I know that Cleaners have abrasives but that would only be a problem over time and a step process would use abrasives anyways ,but the people that use this process are more aware of the things to look out for. I wasn`t saying that you suggested the wrong approach.

Frogcity,just to clear it up,if you do go the cleaner wax route,the bottle itself will state cleaner wax on it.

fogcity
07-21-2003, 01:19 AM
Brian - you`re absolutely on base. Thanks everybody for the response. I`ve used Meguiars claner/wax on my black motorcycle and was happy. I was just nervous about using it on such a "large" surface, but I`ll fear not and give it a go.